Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I think this game will ulitimately fail due to the heavy use of skill based balance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peggy

07-21-2012

What i mean by that is balancing champs around their skill caps rather than just raw numbers. For example, skill shot based ranged champs dealing more damage vs other ranged champs with auto locks that deal less because they do not have to be aimed. But what happens when the player base's skill level gets so high that "it isn't homing" isn't an excuse anymore because people simply don't miss?

Consider a game balance mechanic on the opposite spectrum in Starcraft II. For a long time people complained that Phoenixes(a flying ranged air unit that can only hit air) were not a fair counter to Mutalisks( a ranged air unit that can hit both ground and air but doesn't deal as much damage as a phoenix) as blizzard had intended because the range difference between both units was only 1, thus in order to counter you had to have very good kiting skills. However, blizzard stood by their guns and only raised the range difference up to 2 to make kiting only slightly less difficult. Their reason ultimately being balancing the game for people who haven't mastered certain skills will ultimately make it unbalanced. Same applies to League, eventually skill shot champs will make autolock champs completely useless past certain skill levels.

This is probably obvious to a lot of people lol, i just had to point it out.

lol I died again

07-21-2012

Eve Rework:
Skill cap of one ability removed completely.
Power of same ability transferred to other abilities.
Numbers reworked.
Overall skill ceiling severely lowered.

DocBarber

07-21-2012

I think this game will eventually fail because there will not be enough hot big boobed female champs for us to fap too.

ZenithZephyr

07-21-2012

There's more wrong with your post than I care to expound on.

Peggy

07-21-2012

Quote:
ZenithZephyr:
There's more wrong with your post than I care to expound on.

expound away lol, thats what discussions are for. Im not going to rage at you for disagreeing with me.

BTripp

07-21-2012

Your post describes DOTA a little more accurately than LOL.

I actually don't think it's much of a stretch to say LOL is the complete opposite.

yolocow420mooit

07-21-2012

IIRC Riot nerfed Lee Sin because they felt he did too much damage if the player was very skilled.

Alaros

07-21-2012

the game has been around for a while and only getting bigger.

if it was going to fail, it would have already.

Kanubai

07-21-2012

when people learn to aim better, people learn to dodge better.

assuming they learn to aim better

Likerdos

07-21-2012

There are lots of auto target spells that hit harder then skillshots. Annie's Q,Malz's E and R,Ryze's kit.