Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] Urgot, Glass Cannon of Doom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ruibarian

09-07-2010

This guide is obsolete. While this fact is true, I don't want to take it down, since I like returning to it. I have a lot of good memories using this build two years ago. If you want to give it a shot, it's not the worst build, but definitely don't go for Hextech Gunblade since he no longer deals magic damage. Go for mid with the build, it doesn't work as well when you're adc at bot. I'd suggest trying a different meta altogether, putting an AP at bot or something. Thank you to everyone who has used and enjoyed my guide.

WARNING: This build is intended for summoners level 30 and over who have a large amount of runes saved up, if you are new to 30 and/or below 30, this guide may or may not work for you.

OK, this is my first guide on here, however, I did plenty of DotA times back in the olden days, so here we go...

Overview
I've seen Urgot built several ways, and really, none of them really worked too amazingly well. So obviously I had to buy the champion and both skins to see what's up with him, because he looked fantastic. See, everyone I was watching was trying to build him caster/hybrid, and that just... Was lacking. So, I decided to try doing with him what I did on Kog'Maw, but on the flipside. This is a guide to building him around armor penetration and attack damage.

Skills/Items

Since I know most people just look at these guides to find item/skill builds to try, I'll go ahead and throw these up first.

1. Acid Hunter
2. Noxian Corrosive Charge
3. Acid Hunter
4. Noxian Corrosive Charge
5. Acid Hunter
6. Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser
7. Acid Hunter
8. Noxian Corrosive Charge
9. Acid Hunter
10. Noxian Corrosive Charge
11. Noxian Corrosive Charge
12. Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser
13. Terror Capacitor
14. Terror Capacitor
15. Terror Capacitor
16. Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser
17. Terror Capacitor
18. Terror Capacitor

Explanation: With my build, you're going to want to pour points into Acid Hunter to deal massive early game damage with a range almost as far as Kog'Maw's ult. The idea is to take mid against squishies like Ash, Ez, Veigar, really, mostly any champion that belongs middle, and make them choose between getting close enough to die or not farming at all. 11/12 can be switched, really just depends on if you're feeling froggy, and you can even throw in a terror capacitor at lower levels if you feel you need the slow, however, I find that last hitting minions makes it incredibly easy.

For items,

1. Pick up a Doran's Blade. It gives you health that helps tremendously in the laning phase and give you a slightly harder hitting Acid Hunter. The lifesteal is really irrelevant
at 4%, but it doesn't hurt I suppose.

1.5 Booooooots. Just the plain ones, no need to really get fancy on this cat, since there are no damage or armor pen boots. I like getting Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi unless I'm having gold issues, then I get Zerk Greaves instead.

2.Grab your BRUTALIZER. This item is INCREDIBLY important. The CDR on it allows you to fire off an extra Acid Hunter before your lock on period is over, VERY useful, and it increases that Armor Penetration that you're stacking, AND it gives damage. Very, very important item, the crux of the build.

3. Here, the itemization goes a little wonky. Your next item is going to be Tri Force, which means Sheen, Zeal, and Phage have to be built. If you're struggling to stay alive, get Phage, which you shouldn't have to because you should have a lot of gold from a free farm at mid and your amazing gank tool in your ult, still, occasionally we all have bad games... Zeal and Sheen are fairly equal to this guy, Sheen will double your next basic attack, but a lot of the time you're going to want to sit outside of getting that close to just fire off rockets. Zeal's movespeed will allow you to chase a lot easier, I suggest getting a level of Terror Capacitor early if you're going to get Zeal first because chasing is normally a bad idea and you want to have the best advantage you can give yourself if you're going to chase, slows and speeding up are the two best ways to do this. Anyway, none of the three are poor choices, and all roads lead to the Nirvana of Trinity Force.

4. Hextech Gunblade/Atma's Impaler. Really, at this point the game has been decided one way or another and you're contributing to team DPS instead of being the carry damager, however both of these will massively increase the damage output and add survivability to you. If they are more physical, go Atma's, if they are balanced OR caster, go Hextech. Atmas at level 18 should be adding a good 50 damage and the crit definitely doesn't hurt since you've already got tri force.

Really, after those items, you can just kinda tinker around, nothing is off limits, I feel like a banshee's veil can be helpful in place of hextech/atma's against CC teams, but you could say that about almost any champs build. Banshee's is just that awesome.

Runes/Masteries/Summ Spells.

Alright, for those of you who care to hear past my item/skills suggestions,
ArP Marks, Mp5 Seals, CDR Glyphs, Flat Health Quints.
You're stacking ArP, so marks are a no brainer, you pick up the Mp5 seals so you can keep spitting out Acid Hunters, and you throw in CDR or CDR/Level, doesn't really matter, so you can fling Acid Hunters even faster. The flat health quints are kinda the same idea as Doran's Blade, keep your head above water while you're laning.

Masteries... 9-0-21. No real question here, you want to pick up mobility and mana from your masteries and then dip into that offense tree for some nice juicy ArP and 2% crit chance (luls).

Summoner Spells are Ghost/Flash. You want to have the ability to GTFO if you need to, and you also want the ability to chase people down. With your masteries and tri force, you should be among the best chasers, with ghost/flash, no one will escape the chainsaws of doom.

How to play my build
Take mid. Don't pick Urgot if someone has already called mid or someone has picked an Ashe who is obviously going to whine if they don't get it. It's best to avoid confrontation.

As an alternative mid choice, your job is going to be to punish common mid champs like Trist, Teemo, Ashe, Veigar, Ezreal, really, anything that is squishy that thinks they can sit back and poke you. You poke harder. And you poke with chainsaws. At level one, you can go forward, most of the time the squishy will assume they can dodge your chainsaws. Close the gap, take a hit or two, pop that HP pot and go to town on them. Optimal situation, they will turn and run, pop their own pot, and be sitting with about half health. Worst case scenario, you turn around, sit back, and wait til level 2. Either way, once you hit two, and for the rest of the game, start looking for situations where you can land a *******file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Russ/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png***************file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Russ/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png********Noxian Corrosive Charge. Once you've landed this, they will either turn and run, or sit there and die. If they run, chase them, use Acid Hunter and wear them down or kill them. The goal of this is to either force them to recall, OR to kill them. Either way, you wind up with a huge lead on exp.

When you hit 6, you should check the top and bottom lanes for ganks. If they are on your side of the river, make them pay the toll for crossing. If they aren't, go ahead and farm. Coming out of the river behind champions almost always insures kills, just be careful and make sure the champions in that lane can help you so that you don't run in face first against two champions. Remember, you are a glass cannon.

For the rest of the game, after gank phase that is, your gameplan is quite simple, sit back and launch lazy rockets into the crows. Noxian Corrosive Charge will allow you to fire Acid Hunters at distances longer than you normally could, so lay down your AoE DoT, and just sit back and fire chainsaw rockets.

As a note, you need to remember two important things. Late game you are not carry. You are support damage. Your job is to fire nukes at the carries and make them cry and run home. The second very important note is that using your Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser is DANGEROUS. It will often place you somewhere you don't want to be. This skill takes a few games to get used to, but once you figure it out, you will have little trouble seeing when it is a BAD IDEA to throw yourself in the middle of 4 champions.

Thanks for reading, hope it helped or at least sparked some ideas.

Edit #1::: Don't forget what I forgot to put in here: Elixir of Fortitude. It's FANTASTIC on him. Makes you durable to stand up to most mid game carries in a 1 on 1 and gives you SO MUCH DAMAGE. A must have if you wind up snagging that end game Atma's.

Yoyo Cream

Recruiter

09-07-2010

I'm using it right now, and i'm 10/0 so far. 1 question: isnt better a long sword instead of a doran blade, so you can do an early avarice blade and later use that brutalizer to finish ghostblade?

Edit: btw, I ended the game 14/4. I gone Dorian Blade>Boots>Brutalizer>Ninja Tabi(AD Yi and Trindamere)>TriFurc>Gunblade. Dominate mid early was the key to dominate the entire game.

Ruibarian

09-08-2010

Awesome! Yes, that is exactly the idea. You crush their carry and hope your teammates do their job decently well laning and support them when you can. I've tried the long sword, but the early health helps a LOT from Doran's Blade. Glad you liked it =DDD

Edit::: I don't like getting ghostblade on ranged champions. The active is only 2 seconds long that way. So I find it a bit of a waste on him. 1337g on brutalizer is good enough. End game if you're out of slots and you've got a 2000g sitting there not being spent, sure, upgrade away, I just think there are better uses for your early cash.

ALargeBear

09-08-2010

Just a quick thing I wanted to mention because you didn't specifically say it in your own post, but if you're going to take flash, you can use your ult to pull a key target out of their group, then flash away to safety, like a far less effective blitzcrank rocket grab.

Good post. Honestly, Urgot feels like he wants to be so many things at once that I really didn't know what to even attempt to build on him (want to at least give him a try while he's free this week). Being a hard hitting support definitely sounds like a good niche for him.

On using E to lock on and always hit with Q, do you have any tips for it? In the one game I did try playing with him, I would hit a champion as well as a few minions with E, and I'd mouseover a champion to start spamming Q, but the minions would usually take the heat over the champion.

GhostDieM

09-08-2010

Why pick atma's as a mid/late game damage item? Your HP won't be that huge to warrant it's cost. Suppose you have 3k hp end-game (which you wont) it's 60 extra dam and some increased crit chance which doesn't work with his Q. I would suggest a black cleaver to debuff the enemy even more or plain ol' bloodthirster if you're going for pure AD. (Just my thoughts)

Ruibarian

09-08-2010

ALargeBear, personally, I don't like to really spam the Acid Hunter ability until they start to run away, if they stick near minions, I use my auto attack. Their armor is going to be reduced from the Noxian Corrosive charge anyway, and your auto attack still hurts. Eventually they will run away, and you've just gotta hope they run while the charge is on them to get that free hit in. If not, try your best to get a skill shot in, and if you can't, just let it go and chalk it up to slowing their mid down.

GhostDieM, The reason I choose Atma's isn't for the damage or the crit, even though a Triforce-charged auto-attack crit can be devastating, I choose it because it gives the extra push of damage with the addition of the 45 armor. At that point in the game, your role changes to being support because ArP can't scale in damage on him the way damage scales on champs like Trynd/Yi. Your job is to fade back, but you've already pissed off say, their tryndamere, who is going ot just charge through your teammates and start wailing on you, so the extra armor is REALLY necessary at that point, and atma's allows you to pick that up plus 40-60 damage in the process. Also, and I'm editting this now, I forgot to relay the importance of Elixirs of Fortitude. Survivability and a GREAT boost to damage, and with Atma's, adds even MORE damage. It's not always the right choice, in face I find myself getting hextech most often, but the same way I get Atma's for the armor, I get Hextech for LS+SV. And before you ask why I don't get BT instead of HTGB, it's because the gunblade offers enough vamp that you can nail a group on minions with Noxian and heal a much more significant amount. Honestly, yeah, BC wouldn't hurt you, I just loooove me some atma's.

blazein1

09-08-2010

I use to play urgot alot i normally got black cleaver after trinity force
Game was normally over before i could get anything else.
:[

Ruibarian

09-08-2010

Blazein1, I hear what you're saying on BC, however, try Atma's. It's a lot easier on your wallet, 2405 compared to 3065. Leaves room for a full 2 Elixirs of Fortitude.

Edit:: Also, remember that with this particular build you're wanting to pop the enemy carry with NCC and the use AH to hit them from really far away. Black Cleaver requires you be within your normal short attack range of them, and staying out of harms way is very important. You are a glass cannon.

GhostDieM

09-08-2010

I'm currently trying out a build that seems to be working so far which is:

Doran's Ring
Brutalizer
Boots
Tiamats (bare with me here)
Merc/Tabi/Swiftness
Black Cleaver
(Situational def item like randuins or GA if the game lasts long enough)

I find Tiamat is great for farming in combination with your 'E' skill. For the record this is the only champ I use Tiamat on. The other items give you great armor red, penetration and dam.
As you stated Ruibarian late game I find Urgot's role turns more towards some sort of support artillery type champ. That's why I think Atma's is a bit meh because it will only protect you slightly late game and you are not supposed to take on that Trynd 1 vs 1 anyway by then. So I'd go for a team def item like Randuin's or even Aegis OR go full dam. I'm liking the hextech gunblade with spell vamp idea though, gonna try that out soon

Ruibarian

09-08-2010

GhostDieM, I never thought about using Tiamat on him... But, and not to be insulting at all, I've played DotA since inception, so I have no problem farming. And with the damage boost from tri force and the ability to proc it with AH, you're going to be able to take out minions at just under half health. I really don't find Tiamat to be useful on paper, BUT I will at least give it a shot and edit this comment telling how it went.

BC, sure, it's great, but again, my 3 problems with it are
- You have to come in close and stay close to make it effective
- The proc isn't applied from Acid Hunter
- The cost is almost 600g more than Atma's.

As far as end game Randuin's goes, hell, I'd give it a shot, esp with the ult. Seems like more of a Normal game tool thank a ranked tool tbh.

Aegis should've been picked up by your tank/support a LONG time before, and since the aura both doesn't stack and is really minimal at end game, I think the cash could be better spent on wards and the like.