Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pigrat

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
What no that'll kill it...

If you want a ranged bee champion, the only way that could work would be a man with a hive of bees in his body that crawls out through honey-comb shaped pores in his arms and crawls to his hands.

And he should throw those bees like throwing knives....and spout bee puns with every quote!

*upon death*: "I'll BEE back!"

Wait, personality wise, how is Draven bland?

A yordle riding a giant bee, who throws tiny baby bees.

Morzas

07-21-2012

When are you guys planning on making an Elric of Melniboné? You already have a Conan (Tryndamere). I know it's hard to make a contemporary Elric without looking like you're ripping off Arthas from WoW, but if anyone can do it, you folks can.

XVIII The Moon

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
My goal's two support a year. We've only had 1
There was only 1 support released last year (karma). or at least one champion released with the support tag.

Can we get 1 more support to make up for not getting 2 from last year?

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigrat View Post
A yordle riding a giant bee, who throws tiny baby bees.
I don't think larvas, even really big larvas, would really hurt all that much when you throw them at people.

If you want to go that route, why not, "A yordle riding a giant bot fly, who throws tiny bot fly maggots.", instead? I mean, sure it won't hurt much either, but I'd argue having predatory maggots maturing in your body and devouring squishy organs is worse than getting a bullet in the head.

...we need a parasitic champion.

MiseryShotz

07-21-2012

Quote:
Saving myself for launch
Morello can I add you on guild wars 2? =D

Echorion

07-21-2012

Should give Hecarim a skin that makes him into a real centaur....
One with less armor so you can tell, maybe even human/real horse type centaur. He is the only one you have in the game, it can't hurt to give people the alternative.

Arruke

07-21-2012

I get what you're saying there at the end, for some reason most mages don't click with me as a whole, but the opposite is true with bruisers which is why I'm bad at mid lane and support but top lane and jungle I'm a lot better at. I'm actually hoping to add Zyra to my mage pool because I've been waiting for this champion for a while and haven't really been excited for a champion to release since Riven.

tom641

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Master 2000 View Post
Oh the things I would do to Leona. I too would like to see a new skin of Leona
Run.

Anasthera

07-21-2012

I would like to say that as of now I feel there are a few too many bland human champions and not enough characteristically interesting champions.

Champions like Ryze, Varys, Zyra, they are all humanoid champions and you would consider them humans, but they are all so stylistically different from each other with a lot of variety in color and features that make them very interesting (to me).

Champions like Fiora, Jarvan IV, Darius, they just seem extremely bland and boring for humanoid characters.

I like Draven a lot more because his features and style is very interesting and engaging. His outfit is somewhat interesting, as well as his hairstyle and expressions and attitude and especially his weapons.
Darius and Draven back to back is an interesting dynamic, because I find Darius to be extremely bland both artistically and gameplay wise, but Draven is so much better in both areas. I feel like a lot aspects about Darius could have been a lot better and that more time should have been spent on making him stand out as a champion, whether you could have made his axe look a little bit more interesting, or his hair or armor a bit more varied, or even his facial features a bit far from the standard beefy-guy-with-an-axe archetype.

And I feel this way about a lot of the more-human-than-not champions. Some examples would be Irelia, Fiora and Graves. It's not that I don't like them, but I just feel like more could and should have been done to make them stand out more. I'd like to see more Ryze's and Zyra's and Varuses..es.es.es..., and less of those I mentioned
Perhaps that is just my opinion, but I think when a lot of players complained about their samey too many human champs, I think that's the perception they have is that there just weren't interesting enough from an artistic standpoint, not that there aren't enough "monster" champions like Kog and Cho and Urgot etc.

L2 Sentinel

07-21-2012

Quote:
This topic (character art) is not something I can talk much about, but is really something for our art director or other person who can explain aesthetics. Your pattern recognition also has result bias, because you're bringing up examples that fit your statement and ignoring the significant counter-examples of Leona, Riven, Lulu, Varus, Tryndamere, and other counter points.

On this front, there's good archetype variety, but for some reason people like to kick up dust about this.
Lulu isn't a counter-example. I was specifically referring to adult human females because the adorable factor of yordles and children are beside the point. Tryndamere is excessively bulky, which is still catering to the tastes of straight guys. Take a closer look at the splash art. You could strap some green tubes to him and he be set to follow Uma Thurman around and ruin a franchise. Riven has a playmate skin that is so overused that it's hard to see her as a significant counter-example. I will concede Varus and Leona (even if she is wearing high heels).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pionRoster.jpg

The link is to a chart of champions I feel are relevant to the discussion. Not all of them are human, but they exhibit enough human qualities to count.

My point is that female champions are treated differently than male champions. How many male champions contort their bodies into a sexual pose? How many male champions have voice actors that are instructed to be flirtatious? How many male champions have stripper skins (Magic Mike is culturally relevant, it's as good an excuse as any)? How many female champions look middle aged or older? Why is Zilean acceptable and not a granny champion? I'd totally play a baba yaga or something.

When you compare the way Shen is depicted against Akali, you'll see what I mean. They are both ninja, but Shen wears much more clothing. They both have medical skins, but Shen looks like a real doctor and Akali looks like the main event at a bachelor party.

I don't have a problem with Riot sexualizing female champions. I take issue with Riot sexualizing a champion just because she is female.