Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elementalos

07-20-2012

I can't believe Morello said Lovecraft is too dated. =/

Quote:
Morello:
We've looked deeply into this, and the character TYPES are cool, we just made some decisions that repelled people from them. Kog'Maw actually an example of how to do this right, and he's pretty monstrous!

Don't you think kit design has a lot to do with this too though? Maybe even moreso than the aesthetic?

I mean sure, a lot of your less aesthetically appealing champions happen to be less popular, but they also tend to have quirky/weird/awkward elements in their kit though.

The monstrous champions you say you've "done right" tend to have more straightforward kits.

Similarly, human/aesthetically acceptable champions with awkward kits tend to be underplayed too.

Kyle700

07-20-2012

Hey Morello, I've got a question/general comment regarding this. I am personally against skins in general, because I've always thought they ruined the charactar, and games, athstetic. (spelling). Even though it is pretty hard to keep a common theme when you've got such a variety of champions, skins really seem to break this sometimes, like with the Irish Viegar skin, or the party Fiddlesticks one. My question: are these skins popular, and is this something that you guys will be more careful about? I've felt like a lot of champions have some good skins, and some terrible ones that ruin the athstetic of the champ.

FireZ42

07-20-2012

Okay but I want monsters that are aggressive and run down my petty human enemies! Something like Shyvana when she goes dragon form. I love the jump and roar and the crawling.

Cho is a great monster but I don't feel he is fun to fight with outside of Feast. I mean a big guy like that should have some knockback move that smacks people against the wall.

MoldyOnions

07-20-2012

Admittedly, for ages I've been waiting on a champion reminiscent of FE's Swordmaster class. Like Fiora, but less damage and more mobility and VERY flashy skills.

Zuphlas

07-20-2012

Quote:
Morello:
My goal's two support a year.

You guys can do better than that. Should do better than that. No offense.

Rhaegel

07-20-2012

You've mentioned fan base a bit and how some of the more grotesque champions like Urgot have a low fan base, but which of your champions have the higher fan bases?

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012

Quote:
Zuphlas:

I think 2-3 is the right number, due to how many people prefer supports.

We tend to not want to do more than 4-5 a year of any role, I don't know why this is a problem :P

Momento Morì

07-20-2012

Quote:
Morello:
I think 2-3 is the right number, due to how many people prefer supports.

We tend to not want to do more than 4-5 a year of any role, I don't know why this is a problem :P

What about champs who aren't necessarily intended for supporting, but end up maybe worming into that role as a nonstandard pick anyways (like Nautilus)? Do you take that into consideration or thought at all when you're putting these characters together?

GG Crono

07-20-2012

Quote:
Morello:
As far as skin tones go (remember, we actually don't have ethnic backgrounds in our game at all), we have a variety from light to dark. Karma is pretty dark, Ezreal is pretty light.

I don't know - I'm working on a fantasy game from a world where alien monsters come from other dimensions and fight pyromanic children with demon bears. Skin tone is an aesthetic decision as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, this seems like kind of a flimsy excuse. "It's a fantasy world" seems like a really poor excuse for having very little variety in the way of skin tones. Why shouldn't it have people with as much variety as the real world? Look at how few nonwhite main characters there are in the world of games in general.

Hotarukin

07-20-2012

Quote:
Zuphlas:

I love playing as supports. But 1/13 is actually a rather HIGH number, given that They also have AD and AP assassins, AD and AP casters, Fighters, Brawlers, and Tanks. There's also a lot more -need- for most of those roles (save the assassins). Why do you believe that there -needs- to be more representation than 50% of the other roles for support?