Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ilabode

07-20-2012

I like monsters but league is in love with humanoid shapes a lot of their monster champs are still very human I would like to see this change.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Vayne is almost 100 Urgots.
Not sure how I feel on this scale.

Understandable if you don't want to touch on the response of mine on page 13.

I did remember one other item that tends to arise in the monster threads. And I think it's one of those potential off-putting, bitter community thoughts that would help if you could say some brief thoughts on it.

How do you feel about the topic of monsters are held back popularity-wise in League of Legends by their kits rather then their appearance? This is commonly levied against certain monsters/monstrous types like Trundle, Urgot, Cho'Gath, and Hecarim (less so here). Yet you have examples like Skarner, Malphite, and Nautilus. Any thoughts?

Edit: I also realized I was rude. Thank you for your earlier response, Morello.

Corngina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

But Urgot definitely isnt the least popular character (yes hes definitely down there though). Most of the broken-ish champs are down there (Karma, pre-remake Eve, Sejuani, Heimer) but also characters that work fine ( Xerath, Rammus, Zilean).

Cronovey

07-20-2012

Any chance on some more support champions? I absolutely adore Lulu, but so many ADC/AP/Bruiser/Jungle champions in a row is just grinding at me. I'd like to have as much selection in the support role as I do for say, going middle with a huge variety of AP champions and even some AD counterpicks (Talon) for the current meta.

While unusual picks like Nautilus, Nunu, Malphite, and other more effective top/jungle champions are fun, they just can't compete most of the time with the Soraka/Janna crowd that has more CC and sustain for the lanes.

Prismetrix

07-20-2012

I actually appreciate the diversity in champ design you guys do, but do you guys actually consider this before deciding on creating a champion. What I mean is, you know what kinds of champs are in the pipeline, so do you then decide "ok, now we need a deadly female champ" or "guys, it's really time for a mechanical beater". I guess, does this eye on champion diversity ever effect how much you actually consider into what champions to design?

HayabusaZero

07-20-2012

So Morello, would Riot keep adding champs with different mechanics? Like energy, manaless or rage? Or even a new type of mechanic? I know this type of champs are a nightmare to balance, but gives the game another dimension and freshness.

PS: Do more ninjas and pirates, please xD

MetalcoreWolf

07-20-2012

Mister Bird hunter man. Is mayonaise an archetypes?

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
20 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronovey View Post
Any chance on some more support champions? I absolutely adore Lulu, but so many ADC/AP/Bruiser/Jungle champions in a row is just grinding at me. I'd like to have as much selection in the support role as I do for say, going middle with a huge variety of AP champions and even some AD counterpicks (Talon) for the current meta.

While unusual picks like Nautilus, Nunu, Malphite, and other more effective top/jungle champions are fun, they just can't compete most of the time with the Soraka/Janna crowd that has more CC and sustain for the lanes.
My goal's two support a year. We've only had 1

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
21 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismetrix View Post
I actually appreciate the diversity in champ design you guys do, but do you guys actually consider this before deciding on creating a champion. What I mean is, you know what kinds of champs are in the pipeline, so do you then decide "ok, now we need a deadly female champ" or "guys, it's really time for a mechanical beater". I guess, does this eye on champion diversity ever effect how much you actually consider into what champions to design?
Yes from a gameplay perspective, but we weren't doing this on the short-term with archetypes. That's the problem I'm committing to fixing here