Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kittah4

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Kog is medium, and he's 10+ Urgots.
Popularity should be measured in "Urgots" from now on.

IE: "Teemo's popularity rating is 40 Urgots"

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
16 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdygurdy View Post
Will there be a "joke" champion? Like Dan from Street Fighter who seems like an idiot who will get destroy in every fight (com'on, he shoots out pink baby hadoken) but is actually really strong but just need higher skills or Jigglypuff from Smash Bros that seems it'll suck in fights but actually owns but requires higher skills to play.
No. Whimsical is fine, but being a joke is not very appealing overall. Shaco is good.

Danadin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Morrelo thanks for finally responding to us about this can't wait for the void champion.

Just curious if our "anti-fun" laws will ever be changing, so that we may get a champion similar to invoker with all his skill involvement...With Jayce, and Lee Sin coming out with more then 1 ability on each button i was curious if it could be happening.

Also I sense a spider champion of some sort is coming out, and I'm extremely excited..Is there a chance i'm correct? :3

Taria05

07-20-2012

What about variety in champion roles? Are there any suprises in store for us? Lately it seems like all the champions come prelabled with, "This champion goes <insert lane here>"

While it makes sense to have some organization around the current meta, It's interesting to have a wilcard thrown in once in a while, like Galio. (a tank that goes mid? *gasp*)

Right now champions who don't fit precisely into the predefined meta roles don't get chosen that often, but how can they be chosen when there's so few other champions to compliment their uniqueness?

jojo35

07-20-2012

Create a super-duper awesome Beholder from the Void and I'll drive from Europe to your headquarters to give Morello a piggyback ride.

Gorteks

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakouden View Post
Sounds like a champion from that game with the heroes on that weird planet of newerth.
I think the heroes name was like Flex or Flup hmm, flexo? Drop the O on Flexo.
That's it. ;P
Regardless of other games, I still would like to see a champion based around Magnets or Electric Charges.

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
17 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlyle Wilds View Post
Hey, Morello!

While we're talking champion variety, just out of curiosity, have you been taking into consideration playstyle variety in your release schedule? Obviously you've acknowledged that we had a short term burst of BIG MAN SMASH in design, but has consideratoin of role/design taken a forefront at all in release schedule? I remember a lot of complaints over the past few months of "oh goodie another tanky deeps" and sometimes it sure feels that way. Only sometimes, though .
I don't know why/ We've only put out three fighters all year, and two of them are extremely different than tanky DPS.

This is not a pattern at all this year We've actually done really good on this front.

donkrx

07-20-2012

I actually think Zyra was/is a pretty fresh idea on the creativity front... I mean we didnt yet have a plant manipulator or anything like that. We do have Maokai, but he's different - like how you were saying champs within the same genre can be unique. Zyra is the first one in awhile that I thought was fairly unique and interesting (considering the string of human-like champs). On PBE the gameplay looked pretty cool too... kinda like Heimer but less passive. But I didnt try her myself yet.

Quote:
np

We avoid exposed bones because we are a global game and do have players in China, where there are strict regulations on such things. We see this as an opportunity to define undead (Mord, Hecarim) as something more unique to LoL.

I don't think there's a big controversy on Omen. There's plenty of champions we've not made because they were not good enough or had insurmountable problems, even if the core idea has some merit.
What about Jurassic Cho Gath? How does that one get by China's regulations?

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
18 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittah4 View Post
Popularity should be measured in "Urgots" from now on.

IE: "Teemo's popularity rating is 40 Urgots"
Vayne is almost 100 Urgots.

Struggler9996

07-20-2012

Quote:
I think you guys will like our next monster
"DARK SOVEREIGN" WHERe?