Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

crono411

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Morello why not just make some skins monster like, that way you can appeal to people who only want monsters vs coming out with monster only champs. I personally would love a grotesque Urgot skin.

Baby Nap Time

07-20-2012

So Morello, what is your stance on three-headed dog champs?

Artise

07-20-2012

Morello! You dodged the black character question, and that's not fair. How do we have so few representations of people. This is an international game, and if we're trying to do well by the women, men, monsters, and peoples in more reserved countries, why are we seeing exclusion of such an important demographic (not to minimize any other)? The least we expect is some comment. Don't just brush it off. I've seen heavier comments and concerns answered.

BelligerentGnu

07-20-2012

Morello, you kinda dodged that question about a black champ.

Edit: Ninja'd :P

Hakouden

07-20-2012

Sad part is I could draw a rough monster draft in paint and give it to one of their artist to play with and we'd have a monster before another few humans. :\

Don't get me wrong, Draven is fun, Darius is fun to play, play against are soso (these two theme are hand in hand very well done, but ehhhhhh draven looks like he more fun being made then Darius basic face structure and everyting..), and Zyra looks amazing and was really pumped for her. Her kit screamed of so much potential instead I was disappointed.

Artise

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG Million View Post
So Morello, what is your stance on three-headed dog champs?
How about some more variations in skin tone

FlySkyHigh777

07-20-2012

So Morello, spoiler possibility, You have stated that there's only one "monster" champion coming soon, and that he's a void...

Kog'maw's daddy finally gonna make an appearance?

A Snuggly Pillow

07-20-2012

have you ever thought about making another robot champ? Not something steampunk like Blitz, something that can only be described as being a product of over-technology.

DrWilyStage

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It's not about losing money or anything, and we make lots of successful champs with pretty small fanbases
So did i get this right? Let's say you create an incredible cool champion that happens to have a smaller fanbase, you will still release him?
It didn't sound like that the last time you said it >.<

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Basically, you're asking "what about community requests?" The answer is we'll do them when they make sense, and as unpopular as this is, we're not going to move to design-by-committee. Omen is something I don't care about because it's baked in "you didn't release something and we saw it, now we want it" and is probably born from the lack of monsters more than it is Omen actually being objectively cool and cohesive.

Spider Queen I remain quiet on!
In part I am. I've been observing monster-want threads for a while since I'm more in the camp of those that like monstrous champions (Cho'Gath was my first champion pick-up after Ashe and then onto Skarner). Omen and Spider Queen tend to be the most continuous reemerging ones. I was just curious if you've been able to keep up on some of the particularly more emergent monster thread wants. Obviously, you've seen Spider Queen, Omen, and the topic about Beholders. Anything else catch your eye interest-wise?

Overall, I was just hoping for some more "personal" Morello in-depth discussion in a reaction-based form. Because as a member of the community the following occurs as I get involved in those threads: A) I try to understand Riot's reasoning & B) I try to understand the community's reasoning and outcry in response. The B part tends to floor everything else a bit.

On the matter of Omen, I respect your stance. Let me use him, well, as an example to talk about where I'm coming from. Basically, during the last set of Riot responses to Omen, there were more direct (he just won't work), and I *believe* Ironstylus was more supportive and encouraging the community to think about potential ways for him to work since there was quite a bit of emotional response there on both alleys.

I don't believe your opinion on Omen to be incorrect. Because, obviously, there's that. And there's also the 'zerg' buzzword attached to him.

Still, there is one particular detail about him that I've noticed besides (he looks cool and he's a monster) that continues to emerge. Basically, players appear fascinated by the concept of his spines and working him into both a melee/ranged hybrid. With Jayce's release... the stance/swapping mechanic bubbled up about him and wondering why they couldn't address at least one of his design concerns. Omen does have other design problems, obviously especially as he's a more smaller, lesser detail creation. Do you think any portion of him might be salvaged for down the line akin to Gavid the Plant King and Zyra?

Also, the Spider Queen part makes me smile