Champion variety (beware: monsters within!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hotarukin

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Bipolar Bear Voli skin? :P
Volibear -really- needs a Frankenstein Skin for Harrowing now. Please make it happen.

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
10 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Hi Morello.
In your previous posts you called Trundle and Urgot and even Kog'Maw - 'mistakes'. I can understand that gory and scary champions will not appeal to everyone, but I would guess that there's a pretty big fan base for those types of champions. My questions are:
Did they not sell and you "lost" money on them?

Is that the reason development team said Etc: Spider queen is not happening?

I've seen a lot of sculptures/ plushies for Kog'Maw, It makes me believe that public actually liked him even though he's a Acid spitting monster who devoured everything in it's path according to lore. So can we expect more Void monsters? What direction is riot planning to take considering scary/ creepy/ grotesque Champions?

Thanks
There's not only a small fanbase, there's a microscopic fan base for this. We've looked deeply into this, and the character TYPES are cool, we just made some decisions that repelled people from them. Kog'Maw actually an example of how to do this right, and he's pretty monstrous!

It's not about losing money or anything, and we make lots of successful champs with pretty small fanbases - Leona (surprised!?) and Anivia being two good examples. It's OK if only some people like them, but your guys' idea of what people like has a pretty narrow data set.

We do this to learn what you guys do like, and while forums are an expression, they're not the entire story by any means.

Churraskero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
Basically, you're asking "what about community requests?" The answer is we'll do them when they make sense, and as unpopular as this is, we're not going to move to design-by-committee. Omen is something I don't care about because it's baked in "you didn't release something and we saw it, now we want it" and is probably born from the lack of monsters more than it is Omen actually being objectively cool and cohesive.

Spider Queen I remain quiet on!
Omen is bad trash champion, thank you for not releasing this.

we need more cool champs like riven, warwick, cho gath and vlad.

Morello

Lead Designer

07-20-2012
11 of 58 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Pretzel View Post
VOID CHAMp WHERE?!
I think you guys will like our next monster

Professor Fancy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Quote:
and is probably born from the lack of monsters more than it is Omen actually being objectively cool and cohesive.
What? NO! Omen is one of the coolest looking champs I have ever seen you guys design. I never considered the lack of monster champions when thinking of how much i wanted to see Omen get made. It's a real pity you couldn't get him released.

Satchel

07-20-2012

Quote:
I have never been more excited by one of your posts. Is it Kassadin related? Maybe the Void... Changed her?

KiPeNo

07-20-2012

So then are we expecting a void monster release in the next few patches? or is it still a few months away?

Lebrante

07-20-2012

hey morello, the champion designers look to champ concept forum? And is possible one of that ideas come true?

hartar

07-20-2012

Quote:
Oh this is good.

El baron rojo

07-20-2012

Quote:
A candy clown that shoots rainbows
Oh... my... god... i'll buy that Shaco skin.