Experiment -- Players will now receive details about their Tribunal cases

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

0hemgeez

07-21-2012

@Lyte,

A little food for thought, in my experience with this game now for almost a good 2 years, is that it doesn't take much for this community to be "set off". I understand "toxic" is toxic, is toxic, no matter how you look at it, but I think there are simple things through out this game that can be done in a sort of preventive manner, to help alleviate people being "set off".

Forgive me for possibly pushing a separate agenda, but hear me out on this one small thing that might help reduce some initial attitudes at the beginning of a game. Not everyone tends to play ranked games. I myself am quite fearful for starting out solo que, from all the horror stories I have heard via the forums. I know the general attitude is "ranked or it doesn't matter" but that does not excuse peoples behavior in normal games, or allow you to play any worse.

With this being said I believe removing the "lock-in" function of normal games might help reduce a certain level of anxiety and stress when the game starts, that further leads to people being "toxic". People get angry with locked in "troll picks", which fuel their fire well into the game. People get angry when they have called or chosen a clear mid or top lane champ, only to be undercut by someone who has no respect for an un-written rule of people calling /choosing that role and having to change because the person in question picked a champ and locked-in, forcing the initial summoner who chose the said role to have to change because he/she was being courteous enough to NOT lock in. I know plenty of times when this has happened to me, it forces me into a mentality that makes me possibly not want to help that person, or even play the game with him because he has already left such a sour taste in my mouth from champion selection.

This one small change could help reduce the initial stress, and help promote more of that comradery that Riot strives to push so hard, with good attitudes, and a sense of team unity. Just a little tid bit for any red reading this to possibly help further this community in the right direction, thanks in advance for reading this, and good job so far!

dyfrgi

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonBurgermeister View Post
4. Interesting, but the 900 RP part might be a tough sell
The key is to have the rate be low enough that it functions more as a teaser. Giving people a small amount of RP is probably *good* for your long-term income since it'll get more people buying RP. After all, if you have 400 RP and you want that sale champion, you might pick up some RP to get it. Plus once you've tried out buying things with RP you may want to repeat the experience.

But the rate still has to be high enough that it's a good reward.

IP and skin coupons also seem like cool ideas. Skins which can only be acquired by being players other people like playing with would be an ever stronger encouragement.

Maybe an emblem that goes on the player's profile page? Icons, or an icon modifier? Lots of possibilities.

Having some way to say "this person is awesome" within the same context as the report system - that is, a button to click, not just telling them how awesome they are - would be cool.

Yobber

07-21-2012

You should color code these cards like in a soccer game.

▀rad

07-21-2012

took long enough

Overmind Slab

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Oh, we are definitely going to be tying incentives to accuracy and participation.
I don't know about other players but I would love unique summoner icons or forum avatars awarded for consistently accurate tribunal judgements. Maybe even something simple like a differnt colored summoner name in chat. I think that an in-game indicator would discourage people from trolling because it reminds them that they could get banned for it. Alternately they might troll harder because they think that you could be responsible for banning someone so it would have to be optional. A border around your profile like a gold or platinum player, an exclusive skin (unlikely but I can hope), unique summoner icons, a forum title, etc.

Just my thoughts on the matter, the IP reward is nice but something exclusive like that would be great.

Litis

07-21-2012

Do you think it will ever be possible to see when kills were scored and on who?
It's often a guideline I'm missing to pin-point why certain discussions suddenly erupt or wen someone suddenly dies 7 times within 5 minutes...

IS1b3d11b18c692b

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNinjaTabby View Post
I expect that players will try to use these in their own defense. However, I see this as a positive thing. When they make a statement like "I didn't deserve a ban", they can now share their data with others and receive feedback on their behavior. Some people truly don't see certain things as wrong, when the majority of the community does, and maybe this tool can help them realize that disparity.
What happens if a ban report shows up with "I didn't deserve this" and gets a ton of non-ironic upvotes though? Surely you've considered the possibility.

420jon420

07-21-2012

I think this is a great idea. +1 from me.

David Hume

07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Unfortunately, adding pre- and post-game chat logs aren't a high priority at this time. We did some research on this and it turns out that most players who are toxic in these channels tend to still be caught by the Tribunal and punished so we'd be investing a lot of cost for minimal value.
Even if most players who are toxic in the pre/post chats get caught in game, it still needs to be added - perception of fairness is important. People think that you can get away with being an ******* in pre/post chat; whether that's true or not is irrelevant, because toxic players pull out all the stops in these arenas and the rest of us think that they'll get away with it, which decreases trust in the system.

People wouldn't be asking for this feature if they didn't think it's important. It's not important for you, because it doesn't actually decrease the number of toxic players, but it's important for us, because it makes the system feel more fair.

I Doctor Who I

07-21-2012

Looks like the typical game and troll I get to play with several times a day...