Jungle Gragas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krosan

07-18-2012

Alright. I've been trying to tinker with this, and failing at it, so I thought I'd turn to the Collective for some help.

Build order, runes, masteries, and initial path. Those are the things I'm having issues deciding; the build orders and generic runepages I've tried are just way, way too slow to be useful, so I wind up falling behind.

Would someone mind helping me get pointed in the right direction, here?

Krosan

07-18-2012

Anyone?

For some background information, I've tried using defensive runes, with heavy armor and AD. I'm thinking, though, that flat AP runes might be a better choice for the blue slot at least.

I also usually try starting body slam and blue, or barrel roll and wraiths... Barrel roll is so mana-intensive, though, that without blue I run out of mana in no time, even with Drunken Rage.

It just takes so long to get to level 6 so I can start really ganking.

acosn

07-18-2012

Best I can come up with-

Summoner Spells:
Smite and either Flash or Ghost. Flash can be considered a crutch with Gragas. Ghost can end up being immensely useful.

RUNES:
RED:
Armor Pen OR flat AD OR Mag Pen.
YELLOW:
Flat Armor
BLUE:
Flat MR OR AP OR CDR
QUINTS:
Attack Speed

Gragas isn't so entirely beyond physical damage that AD and armor pen runes are useless. Most of your rune build should be based around overcoming your fairly slow early game farm. Because of Gragas's kit, and his ult he wants to play aggressively as far as farm is concerned. Save smite for rune mobs and river mobs, and generally avoid straight up farming unless you're simply too low to gank, or there's no good lanes to hit. His Passive and W really only mean that he's less dependent on blue, and has some potent sustain. Whether this translates into early dragon clears is beyond me.

Masteries:
9 / 21 / 0

Alternatively you can run 14 / 16 / 0

Beyond the percentage driven penetration runes in offense there's no point in going deeper. Whether you go all-in or just 9 for either AP or AD is your call. It's not so much the percentages (though for one point they're a decent investment) as the 4 point masteries before them that are worth the look-see.

In defensive masteries it's mostly just straight forward take-the-stuff-that's-actually-useful.

GEAR: How you actually build Gragas depends on what he has to deal with, and who he has to work with. While you definitely can't ignore AP the entire game, early game Gragas has enough utility that unless someone's feeding pretty badly you don't need to be prompt about it. Even the base values on his Q and R are very potent, and W's AD steroid is novel. No matter what you do, you definitely want your CDR maxed out one way or another between blue buff, blue pill, masteries, and items. Late game you want that 40-second CD on his ult because it does end up defining team battles.

Starter: Cloth + 5.

If you can get a solid pull on your rune creeps you can go boots + 3.

Early Game:
Philo Stone, Heart of Gold, Kage's Pick: GP5 items figure into Grag's build pretty handily because excluding Avarice Blade they all build into things he can reasonably want.

Aegis: Holy **** is this an under appreciated item for it's gold efficiency.

Madred's Razors + Wriggle's Lantern: because you're jungling.

Glacial Shroud: Armor and CDR? Yes please.

Mid Game:
GP5 composite items. You definitely shouldn't rush Randuin's but Warden's Mail is great, Shurelia's and that other item are good to have, and if you're going damage oriented DFG is just *** on 4 wheels.

Rod of Ages / Rylai's: Take your pick. Both are useful. Unless you're a god of aiming barrels you'll probably just go ROA.

Frozen Heart: Because this and Q screw over AD carries like it's no one's business.

Abyssal Scepter: Because you have a caster mid.

Really you could justify all kinds of item builds with Gragas. I'd just assume go with what works.

Kittie le 1st

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2012

Okay so. I've been jungling gragas for a while now and this is my set:
21/0/9, AP marks, quints and glyphs, armor yellows. Start jungle with doran's ring with E (since it has lowest CD). Start wolves/blue and have your teammates help you till 50% of its hp, then just smite it whenever its low enough. Remember to spam E to regenerate health during the camp route.
My build consists of 2 doran rings, boots, blasting wand, sorc boots, rabadons, void staff and so on.

Im So Not Alex

07-19-2012

http://www.leagueoflegendsstreams.co...showstream.php

HotShotGG streaming it now

Nicodemous

07-19-2012

Jungle Gragas is a waste of Gragas, use him to own a lane...

Krosan

07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemous View Post
Jungle Gragas is a waste of Gragas, use him to own a lane...
Part of the reason I'm trying to figure this out is because sometimes in solo queue I wind up pushed into jungle, and there are very few champions I particularly enjoy playing who also jungle even moderately well.

Right now, if there's, say, a 4-man premade who need a jungler, and Mundo gets picked or banned out, I'm screwed.

Kittie le 1st

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2012

Here's a replay of mine as jungle gragas.
http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/625232/

kavinh the third

07-23-2012

i think the ideal runes for him is
AS red
armor seals
any kind of blues and
attack speed/hp quints

for masteries go 11/9/10
taking the attack speed armor pen and 2 points into the cdr.
3points into flat armor 3points into flat MR and 3 points into reduced minion damage and damage return to minions
take recall mastery utility summoner mastery mana/lvl MS and the buff duration.

I haven't played him much but i generally max w>e>q
start with w and ignore ur q completely and max e second the extra damage from q is nice but it's not really that useful and it weakens ur other spells