Evelynn Item Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prizzles

07-19-2012

So since Evelynn scales better off of AP than AD I've started to think that AP heavy Evelynn builds would be preferable. The one question I have is: do evelynn's abilities benefit from spell vamp?

I've read some articles of hybrid abilities not benefiting from Spell Vamp so just wanted to ask. I'm not convinced Trinity Force is the best ability for Eve but I have been wrong before. Thinking maybe Hextech Gunblade as first major item, thoughts?

VyCMA1800

07-19-2012

I think all abilities should proc spell vamp..

I do think AP evelynn is good now but I also think ad is nice because of the ridiculous AS boost on e. I've been building hybrid or AP only to be honest but I've heard good things about heavy AD items. Sheen should definitely be rush but I'd agree gunblade would be nice to have first as a hybrid. For AP Eve i really like DFG for burst and Rylais for constant slow and survivability. Rylais + q + w and you should run away from anyone without a stun.

webbut

07-20-2012

Almost all damaging abilities proc spell vamp except ones that proc on hit effects. Even spells that only deal AD damage proc spell vamp.

XCodes

07-20-2012

Lich Bane looks like it'd be amazing on AP Eve. Even Hybrid Eve if by Hybrid you mean Gunblade, Rageblade, and the rest AP items.

webbut

07-20-2012

Shouldn't you max out AD though? Her spells are already converting your AD to Magic damage and her spells only gain 5%-10% more from AP than from AD which is made up for by the fact that your auto attacks hurt now. If you go AD your damage can not be countered.

If they buy armor your spells are still doing 40% of you AD in magic damage
If they buy MR your auto attacks are still doing lots of damage
If they buy both they probably can be ignored
If they buy health you can buy madreds and your ult does damage based on max health....

DarkenDragon

07-20-2012

the miss consception of spell vamp and life steal is that they believe that its all about damage type, but its not, its damage source. key word is source.

if your damage is coming from auto attack or an ability that will proc on hit effects (which is considered an auto attack in the game's sense) you are applying life steal

if your damage is coming from an ability of your own, then it is going to proc spell vamp, simple as that, item's damage do not proc either of these since its coming from another source,

as for how you should build eve, the best things about hybrids is that you can build either way and you'll do fine, the major thing is though is you gotta change your play style depending on what your choosing.

if your going for an AP build then you'll want to attack agressivly with your abilities, you want to nuke and get out quickly. this is because majority of your damage is coming from your spells and once they're on cooldown, your damage is minimal unless you get a sheen item, but until then, using hit and run tatics works best.

if your going down an AD build, then your going to want to stick close because your probably gonna build a little tankier and majority of your damage is coming from your auto attacks. simple as that

in terms of sheen. I find that upgrading it last is the best choice. you can get much better items before it's upgrade that will help you a lot more than what it was going to give.

for the upgrade though the choice will depend on your AP amount. trinity force only gives you 150% of your BASE damage, while lich bane will give you 100% of your AP. so this means that once you hit max level, you cant increase your trinity force's damage while lichbane is only limited to how high you can bring your AP up. at level 18 you will need at least 165 AP in order for lichbane to provide you as much damage as trinity force. but lichbane also comes with 80 AP itself so in reality you need only 85 AP in order to match it before you finish lichbane

the reason why I say upgrade the sheen last is because for trinity force, the amount of the stats on them are going to be very small compared to other items you could have bought while trying to build trinity force, but those other items will give you more and you'll still have the proc of sheen.

hope this helps

acosn

07-20-2012

Eve procs spell vamp, but because only one of her abilities is single-target you're not getting good returns.

AP trades sustain for burst.

AD trades burst for sustain.

Having primarily AP ratios doesn't suggest you should build AP. Tristanna is still a preferable AD carry over AP despite having nothing but AP ratios.

At the end of the day unless the enemy team was particularly flush with softer characters, or I was dealing with particular characters in top lane where dumping as much damage in as short a time as possible becomes favorable (EG: Jax), I wouldn't consider AP.

VyCMA1800

07-20-2012

I don't think people realize how more damage (in terms of abilities) building AP does then AD.

1) Bonus AP is A LOT cheaper. Compare a BF sword and a needlessly large rod or even a BT and a deathcap. You will simply have more AP then AD.

2) The ratio is better for ap and the ult scales. (at 300 ad you gain an extra 6% which is a large amount of damage on high health targets)

3) SPELL PEN. You probably won't have it if you build AD but it instantly makes your abilities deal a lot more damage.

The actual reason AD can be so good on eve right now has nothing to do with scaling, its the 120% AS boost. Lightning fast attacks with good AD can hit really hard. It's also nice to have reliable, sustained auto attack DPS, as with any AD champion

acosn

07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyCMA1800 View Post
I don't think people realize how more damage (in terms of abilities) building AP does then AD.

1) Bonus AP is A LOT cheaper. Compare a BF sword and a needlessly large rod or even a BT and a deathcap. You will simply have more AP then AD.

2) The ratio is better for ap and the ult scales. (at 300 ad you gain an extra 6% which is a large amount of damage on high health targets)

3) SPELL PEN. You probably won't have it if you build AD but it instantly makes your abilities deal a lot more damage.

The actual reason AD can be so good on eve right now has nothing to do with scaling, its the 120% AS boost. Lightning fast attacks with good AD can hit really hard. It's also nice to have reliable, sustained auto attack DPS, as with any AD champion
AP gains burst damage and loses sustain. In all reality the best sustain mechanic Evelynn has in an AP build will be her ult simply because most of her DPS either doesn't benefit from spell vamp, or is an AOE, which has diminished returns.

AD doesn't have the burst, but it makes up for it in sustain.

In terms of viability, both are strong, but AD fits with the meta better. It's not hard for soaks and tanks to wear down an AP Evelynn. AD can at least keep pace.