Upgrade Boots to a Tier 3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightly Salted

09-07-2010

With the current meta-game, it is almost essential for all players to always pick up the Mercury Tread boots. I can't remember the last time I didn't pick them up for a game.

Mercury's Treads
+25 Magic Resist UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 Reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, snares, sleeps, and immobilizes by 35%.

That means that players don't really have a "choice" when selecting their footwear. I propose a tier 3 selection of boots that allows players to upgrade their berserker's grieves, ninja tabi, or whathaveyou to include the passive ability of the Mercury treads.

There have been many games where I'd like to get one of the other pairs of boots, but cannot do so because the other team has a number of stuns/snares (and there's no reason to buy two pairs of boots).

Carados

09-07-2010

Then everyone would have Ninja Tabi2 instead of MercTreads1.

Lightly Salted

09-07-2010

If I played a caster, why would I buy Ninja tabi? Spell pen is a great deal more valuable. If I were DPS, I would probably still get berserker grieves (especially if I were ranged). Ninja tabi doesn't add that much survivability that its benefits outweigh those designed for a specified class role (i.e. caster goes with caster boots, dps goes with dps boots).

Carados

09-07-2010

Because a flat 11% reduction on physical damage is insanely good? There's a reason that there's a phrase "95% Merc Treads, 4% Ninja Tabi, 1% Swiftness."

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightly Salted View Post
If I played a caster, why would I buy Ninja tabi? Spell pen is a great deal more valuable. If I were DPS, I would probably still get berserker grieves (especially if I were ranged). Ninja tabi doesn't add that much survivability that its benefits outweigh those designed for a specified class role (i.e. caster goes with caster boots, dps goes with dps boots).
If the other team has three or more champions dealing significant physical damage, I will buy Ninja Tabi almost every time, regardless of what champion I'm playing.

Lightly Salted

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Because a flat 11% reduction on physical damage is insanely good? There's a reason that there's a phrase "95% Merc Treads, 4% Ninja Tabi, 1% Swiftness."
I don't know where you're getting your numbers - those sound pretty made up. There are a decent number of players that currently use the caster boots and I would argue it is much higher than 0%. I would also argue that Ninja tabi is going to be situational. Against a caster composed team, 12% dodge and 23 armor is going to be useless. Some characters, such as Doctor Mundo, who have insanely slow base attack speeds, but high survivability, would benefit more from having berserker grieves for the IAS rather than use a slot to get the same benefit.

As far as swiftness boots go, I consider them the worst boots in the store. With the incredibly high amount of slows and stuns in the game, you'll almost never get the full benefit of the boots for the purposes of escape. For chasing, you're better off with ghost if you don't have a slow or stun to catch your prey.

I would also argue that if there is such a disparity between the boots, that something should be done to buff those considered weaker.

ShadowDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

Actually, Dr. Mundo's slow attack speed is the very reason Berserker Grieves are not an optimal choice for him. The 25% increased attack speed is significantly less effective on him than on someone with a high base AS.

kBOoZzY

09-07-2010

most boots are fine except ninja tabi. I think they need a good passive on top of the dodge, to make them worth it for a melee dps / tank, perhaps even an active for a short burst of speed (2-3 second long)

Lightly Salted

09-07-2010

How can most boots be fine if there's only one type of boot being used? Clearly there's an imbalance in power/utility.

Whizzard

09-07-2010

Honestly im not a big fan of merc treads, like most of the boots they are situational, and while i will pick them up against a mage/CC heavy team i generally prefer to get ninja tabi or beserker greaves. I play tryndamere with a 21/9/0 build so i can utilize the dodge a bit more with nimbleness, especially when i get phantom dancers and the extra armor helps with jungling or against creep agro in the begining of the game.