Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AD Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1859f07a52f3056afbe15

07-19-2012

Quote:
Seraphim:
Replace mostly with only.

Her abilities just scale off AD as well.

She autoattacks if she gets AD I guess? That's why I didn't say 'only.'

Azn Booty

07-19-2012

Quote:
Pyrozen:
AP Katarina nowadays?

80% of the champs can CC her during her ult BEFORE level 6

Makes AD Katarina look viable.

Then again, I'm an AP Kat Fanboy, playing kat in ranked is asking to lose elo.

The whole idea is to be popping your ult at the right time, I've been against a team with 4 characters with major CC, one of which being Ali. I sat back and watched (Killer Instinct + BB during a team fight can be huge, so I usually will toss one in.) cds get popped, THEN I would go in. Nets you good kills and you don't look like a nab.
As far as AD Kat goes, I've never personally done it; but I have seen people completely decimate with her. I mean, she can get up in melee range and if needed can shunpo to the support, or a ward even.
Edit: Killer Instinct is also a crazy good skill to have in lane.
I think against a more traditional lane, Katarina would have the upper hand, when getting into kill lanes and tankier bruiser bot combos; she would lose every time, in my opinion.

Holy Malevolence

07-19-2012

Armor pen on a champion who's entirely magic damage?

Interesting.
Admittedly, Kat kind of sucks no matter what you do, but don't do that.

KiStorm

07-19-2012

Quote:
Scylexian:
Why AD Kat isn't as good as AP:
1. E does not scale off AD
2. Kat's AA is short-range melee
3. Kat has no MS steroids and must burn her escape to stick to a target
4. Kat gets focused as soon as she's in range 95% of the time

Burn ghost, still have shunpo, burn shunpo, still have exhaust, Ghost or ulti for after some CC.

Kat gets focused as soon as she's in range, and building AP your ulti is your main source of damage (people don't like Bouncing Blade harass), one disable and you're useless.

Whereas with AD kat, you can just start auto'ing for less damage yeah, but you're still doing 5x what you did after your ulti was cancelled as an AP.

KiStorm

07-19-2012

Quote:
Azn Booty:
The whole idea is to be popping your ult at the right time, I've been against a team with 4 characters with major CC, one of which being Ali. I sat back and watched (Killer Instinct + BB during a team fight can be huge, so I usually will toss one in.) cds get popped, THEN I would go in. Nets you good kills and you don't look like a nab.
As far as AD Kat goes, I've never personally done it; but I have seen people completely decimate with her. I mean, she can get up in melee range and if needed can shunpo to the support, or a ward even.
Edit: Killer Instinct is also a crazy good skill to have in lane.
I think against a more traditional lane, Katarina would have the upper hand, when getting into kill lanes and tankier bruiser bot combos; she would lose every time, in my opinion.

I love bruisers because they usually lack the consistent or always available CC of most AP's.

KiStorm

07-19-2012

Quote:
ShortAndBlue:
She autoattacks if she gets AD I guess? That's why I didn't say 'only.'

She can hit for 500, 35 minutes in, and make mincemeat of towers, jump into 3 champions once their cc is gone and kill them all solo.

Also quite possibly the easiest kill securer in the game, to the point people will be begging you to give the AD carry kills, to which your response will be:

Ulti reset please.

Romm3

07-19-2012

Quote:
Pyrozen:

Then again, I'm an AP Kat Fanboy, playing kat in ranked is asking to lose elo.

Kat is deadly in the right hands. She is completely viable in ranked games, especially solo/duo queue. Just because you aren't good with her dont hate!

Going back to the AD kat topic, the most AD you should get with kat is that from your gunblade and the tier 1 offensive tree in your masteries. AP kat is the only way to go. Owning the bots with AD kat doesn't mean AD kat is good, hell i can beat the bots with ad soroka.

KiStorm

07-21-2012

Quote:
Romm3:
Kat is deadly in the right hands. She is completely viable in ranked games, especially solo/duo queue. Just because you aren't good with her dont hate!

Going back to the AD kat topic, the most AD you should get with kat is that from your gunblade and the tier 1 offensive tree in your masteries. AP kat is the only way to go. Owning the bots with AD kat doesn't mean AD kat is good, hell i can beat the bots with ad soroka.

Firstly it's easy pentakills in normal mode, and easy bot lane and semi-easy mid lane (run MR glyphs and seals) in ranked.

Most AP mids don't know how to react to an AD mid.

Second, AD Soraka in ranked is hilarious when she runs around picking up triple kills left right and centre.

Last but not least, even throwing in a bloodthirster into your AP builds can be hugely beneficial to your damage output, survivability and with the sustain and inherrent tankiness of most AP Katarina items, gaining stacks can be a breeze.

Aeolian Melodies

07-21-2012

Even AD Kat shouldn't build armor penetration, you're wasting money/rune slots. AD Kat was actually THE **** when I started playing, and they went mpen boots > BTs stack > Void Staff. Why? Because AD Katarina doesn't want crit. She doesn't want armor pen. She doesn't want attack speed. She wants RAW pewpew. Pure AD, nothing else. BT gives that. BT stacking Kata was also a heavy snowballer, a better farmer, AND she had a much safer playstyle than AP Katarina (because BB scaled only off her AD, it was useless on AP Katarina except for the healing debuff with W, so you had to be using Shunpo to dmg someone every time).

While her Q scales better with AD and her ult scales just as well (if not slightly better), an AD build leaves Shunpo behind (except if you let her land her auto attack after Shunpo, which can be hilarious I guess). Also don't forget that AD is a more expensive stat than AP. So while it might look good on paper, Gunblade + AP is the way to go on Katarina.

Unless they have Veigar, then I use this as an excuse to play my old AD Katarina in a situation that makes it legit

toastermen

07-21-2012

I remember someone doing the math and gunblade kat is better than both ad and straight ap kat. It turned out while you have better harrass and farming, you have less kill potential.

Also going melee carry kat is just stupid you expect to go in and let everyone do all that damage? You end up being a worse version of yi...