Ramnus Early Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asylumseeker

09-07-2010

So ive just started playing ramnus on unranked games to get used to him. 8 games so far with 7 wins. Late game he really shines but early game i spend quite a lot of time just sitting there unable to do much. How do people handle early game because although he can be a good farmer using DBC and sunfire cape early game hes not and a pretty easy target for the enemy to keep hitting.

Shinslammer

09-07-2010

He is deceptively strong. Rammus is easily harassed, but if you force an actual fight he usually comes out on top with DBC and taunt. Especially if you can get them into your tower. If its double ranged vs double melee though or something like that you're gonna have to front the loss and blame your team for allowing poor lane combos. Hes a great farmer mid game, so make up the loss then if you find yourself in a position where you can't last hit at first. Many melees have this problem.

biomorph

09-07-2010

Early game you need a lane partner that can punish them if they harass you and you will find that Rammus is strong from beginning to end. Especially if you are laning against two melee champions I find at lvl 3-4 with your lane buddy close a taunt followed by a powerball while they are close to your creeps is lethal. Your creeps and your lane partner now focus this poor guy and he is snared. Unless he has high health and a escape mechanism he is often dead.

That is the ideal case. In general request a lane swap if you face two pain in the neck harassers or make sure you have a lane partner than can punish them. Your job however is to make sure that they do not get to touch your partner and you will see just how good Rammus can be early game as well. Easier said that done but doable - go get em tiger

Get your early heart of gold to help you if you are getting gold denied (I always get it anyways) and rush a sunfire. The sunfire is primarily so that you can rush and clear a farm pot or chew some jungle creeps. Farming efficiently and thus staying ahead of the curve in terms of items and level makes you virtually indestructable.

AdricGod

09-07-2010

I typically will play defensive looking for taunts around your turret range. Make sure your laning partner is not auto-attacking creeps for the sake of pushing the lane, have them last hit only. If your opponents do the same then it might be a stale-mate around river, but that's neither good nor bad, just delaying a fight until Rammus becomes a real threat which should be fine by you. Early kills are about well timed taunts, make sure your partner knows once a Rammus commits to a fight there is no real escape for Rammus...

As far as last hitting mobs for gp there is no guarantee. I follow a build which goes straight for heart of gold first to help me in that respect. Even the sunfire requires you to stand directly where you can be easily harassed.

Asylumseeker

09-07-2010

Seems like i am playing right then. Probably a bit more defensive would be better. I generally try to get a ranged char for a lane partner however a few games this hasnt been possible.

Item order tends to be
HoG
Merc Treads (if they stun me im stuffed)
Sunfire
Banshee/Guardian Angel

Just i find early game i quite often have to B as ive got harrassed a lot (especially by vlad)

Mid-Late game i tend to PB into them. slam on DBC. Taunt the hardest hitter i can get to and ult while walking slowly towards my team and away from theres. Got quite good now at bringing people to my turret or away from their turret now too He is so fun to play. (i did play morg, amumu, taric but seeing as they are all perma banned or taken in ranked...)

AdricGod

09-07-2010

Do you take the Ruby Crystal first or the Cloth armor when building towards HoG? Some builds say to take the Cloth Armor and a handful of health pots, might let you stay in the lane longer, also Ghosting while Powerballing after you B gets you back to laning hella-fast.

Asylumseeker

09-07-2010

I normally take the Ruby Crystal, but will try cloth and HP potions next time.

As for getting back i run with TP and Flash at the moment. Might change to TP and Ghost as flash hasnt seemed to be very useful yet (idea was to flash while in PB to get the hit. Has got me a couple of kills though)

So getting back to lane isnt too much of a hassle but still not ideal.

biomorph

09-07-2010

I take Doran's Shield typically as first item. But I've started now to take Cloth Armor + 5 pots and rush HoG. Cloth makes last hitting easier.
Thing with Ruby Crystal is that you get no regen and you can not affort pots. So unless you are laning with someone like nidalee or soraka I would not take Ruby.
With regen or pots you can better allow your self to get some last hits at the cost of a little harass.

AdricGod

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
I take Doran's Shield typically as first item. But I've started now to take Cloth Armor + 5 pots and rush HoG. Cloth makes last hitting easier.
Thing with Ruby Crystal is that you get no regen and you can not affort pots. So unless you are laning with someone like nidalee or soraka I would not take Ruby.
With regen or pots you can better allow your self to get some last hits at the cost of a little harass.
Yea, and you figure each extra last hit you get almost pays for an entire pot!!!

Asylumseeker

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdricGod View Post
Yea, and you figure each extra last hit you get almost pays for an entire pot!!!
And each one gives you 200 health back instead of the extra 180 ruby gives you to start with...

So 180 health
or
18 armour + 1000 health.

No contest really. Thanks guys. I think that will really help me, just wish i had actually thought about it before.