Is Snowballing an issue? (feel free to elaborate)

No; It's a core game mechanic, or at least is not harmful 66 76.74%
Yes, it makes games a lot less fun than they could be. 20 23.26%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Snowballing - A Problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shortzo

09-07-2010

what about a reverse snowball set of items? they get more powerful the more you die, but lose stacks when you make a kill?

baughb

09-07-2010

I disagree that it's a problem.

Some champions are balanced in such a way that they're designed to shut down enemy teams early, but if they don't win the game within 25-30 minutes, they start to lose all of the advantage they got in the early game.

In contrast, some champions are balanced in such a way that they're useless for the first 15-20 minutes of the game, at which point they start to become useful.

Also, many games are decided by one or two late-game teamfights, which are often decided through wards, map awareness, and generally superior team play (and NOT 'which team has the most early-game kills/towers').

I've lost games with team kills:deaths being almost 2:1 due to one cleverly placed enemy ward, and I've won games with team k:d being 1:2 due to one strong late-game teamfight, etc.

Dianetics

09-07-2010

I don't mind snowballing although I think it happens a bit too early in the game. One side should definitely have a lead when playing an early game but it should never be insurmountable.

WintersHeart666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

i generally agre with what every1 else says. Even if the items are taken away, the basic k/d will carry them through,
eg unless u have a backdoorer like Twitch, u prob wont win a match that is 58-23 agenst u...

DrDjBob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-07-2010

the snowballing here in LoL is minimal, feeding me 3-5kills to me early game isn't doing much

try feeding me 3-5kills early game in DotA, now that is snowballing

LoL early snowball: 300 gold + maybe 2 levels more
DotA Early Snowball: 2k + 8 levels more (i was a level 16 night stalker by the end of the first night, eveyrone else was level 8)

Whist

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortzo View Post
what about a reverse snowball set of items? they get more powerful the more you die, but lose stacks when you make a kill?

"WTF WHY DIDN'T YOU KILL HIM!?!?! HE HAS NO HP!"
"didn't want to lose all my stacks bro...hold on I gotta feed more so I can solo dragon"

Tanerian

09-07-2010

Snowballing in LoL? Have you played DoTA or HoN?

Comparatively to those two games, snowballing practically does not exist in LoL.

Yea, snowballing happens, but it's pretty light in LoL. You can dominate early-mid game and still lose miserably late game here. FAR less likely to happen in DoTA/HoN.

DrPoonjisum

09-07-2010

Snowballing is a necessary game mechanic IMO. What would be the point of outplaying your opponents if you gain no advantage for doing so? How would a game be decided then? Wouldn't it just turn into a backdoor fest if there were no punishment for dying?

Games that obviously will be dominated by one side based on early game results can be fixed by reducing the 25min time required to surrender (I know, not an original idea).

RE Bantos

09-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortzo View Post
Snowballing is when one team gains a decisive level/gold/strategic edge over another team, making it easier for them to kill the enemy team, thus making them even more powerful and the enemy team further disadvantaged.

I, personally, dislike it. It means that a large percentage of the time, the game's final outcome can be called within the first 15 minutes, because one player has gained such a decisive edge that they can mop the floor with the enemies. Without the snowball effect, the game would be a lot less one-sided, which would make it more enjoyable for most people (my opinion, i'm sure there are some people who can't enjoy the game unless they are utterly decimating the enemy team). However, i have not the faintest idea what a fair way of fixing it would be.

Do you guys think it's a problem? what would you suggest be done about it, if so?
I don't see the snowball items as a problem. If your team can't get it together enough to focus down that Veigar or Annie to kill them (and their stacks), you likely weren't going to win anyways.