Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The rape of Samus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ssraeshza

09-08-2010

Quote:
If it wasn't obvious that I was speaking from the perspective of your casual gamer, one who doesn't necessarily beat every game they play, then this is entirely reasonable. I'm 21, I was around when Metroid was still playing out, but that doesn't mean that I played through it, and I'm sure as **** not the only one in that boat.

Oh I guess you'd be surprised if I said

(SPOILERS)

AERIS DIES, OH MY GOD.
Calisto is EVIL(TM franchise)
Charlie is killed by M. Bison
Guile becomes a family man
Soylent green is PEOPLE
ITS A COOK BOOK!!!!!

OH MY GOD SUCH SHOCKING SPOILERS FOR 2010!

/sarcasm

Clearly I won't be able to show you the light. Samus is female. Anyone born before 1997 knew this.

Quote:
1.) Don't speak down to me.

Well I guess you *ARE* a woman, I should put on a different pair of gloves...

Quote:
These points are all well and good, but all of those things CAN and DO play into the hands of developing a character. Even if you don't like them, the fact of the matter is, there are people out there that can and will relate to it. Just because it's not speaking to you doesn't mean it isn't speaking to someone.

Okay, your "Opinion" is valid, but the part in bold is something I take serious issue with.

This is not subjective.
It is not open to interpretation or opinion.
I despise that kind of argument.

Samus
was
raped

It isn't about whether you identify with the character or not, it's about the -Incredibly- inconsistent behavior she displays, behavior that is obviously out of character for Samus and insulting to any woman that has even the smallest amount of pride.

• Samus being c*ck-slapped by Adam all game? (Okay, now that you've been owned by (X) you can use your weapons ... just because I say so.)
  • Samus freezing during combat?
  • Samus being a whiny emo Bella Swan-type character?

None of this is opinion, she was poorly written and portrayed regardless of whether it speaks to you.

Quote:
Again, you're taking this way too seriously. A game isn't going to change people's minds that drastically one way or the other in regards to gender equality.

Of course not. I'm not going to get a sign and protest against this game. It's just that I feel personally offended that Samus was turned into a horrible stereotype that favors the:

"Women belong in the kitchen HURR HURRR" attitude.

To quote a joke I heard the other day:

Quote:
Adam: Samus, I authorize you to use the microwave beam so you can go make me dinner
Samus: *giggle* Kay !

Quote:
You're just looking at this one under a microscope and turning it into some sexist movement or whatever, and let's be honest, it's nothing of the sort.

Mmm, tearing down the only iconic female lead in gaming... that seems pretty significant to me.

Perhaps we will be unable to understand each other, you ARE a woman after all. Let's just leave it at ... one of us can't understand the other ; )

BortLicense

09-08-2010

Thought this thread would have dirty pictures.

Berrix

09-08-2010

Mark this one for the papers boys, cause this will be the first time ever one game changed the whole face of the entire series. The mass amounts of silly rage from one singular person is significant proof that this game alone has now ruined what Metroid and Super Metroid accomplished.

May need to sell those games away, don't want the emotion of the one game leak into my others.

Oh, and I almost forgot...

Quote:
Ssraeshza:
They turned Ellen Ripley into Bella Swan
gg Nintendo.

Next time you go out and blame someone, blame the correct developer. Team Ninja, yes the ones for the almighty Ryu and Dead or Alive games, are the ones behind this masterpiece of "rape" as you so eloquently described it as.

Ssraeshza

09-08-2010

Quote:
Berrix:

Oh, and I almost forgot...

Next time you go out and blame someone, blame the correct developer. Team Ninja, yes the ones for the almighty Ryu and Dead or Alive games, are the ones behind this masterpiece of "rape" as you so eloquently described it as.

Honestly, do I really have to explain everything? I despise explaining basic concepts.
Oh very well, let's dance.

Quote:
Metroid: The Other M
Developer: Team Ninja
Writer/Director: Yoshio Sakamoto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshio_Sakamoto)

Hmm, thanks for playing, Berrix. I can direct you to a good dictionary if you need further guidance...

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

09-09-2010

Quote:
This is not subjective.
Neither is your opinion, so I don't see what you're arguing about.

Zytl

09-09-2010

The gaming industry has taken many strong characters and evolved them into something useless, it seems like the latest fad.

Tyrantherus

09-09-2010

The big thing that still gets to me is... why the heck was she so wimpy, despite fighting Ridley on so many other occasions, only to freeze up there. If she got hit by something like mother brains beam, then sure, I can understand panic and fear... but from just Ridley showing up? Noooooo... somethings not right.

Berrix

09-09-2010

Quote:
Ssraeshza:
Hmm, thanks for playing, Berrix. I can direct you to a good dictionary if you need further guidance...

God **** you're adorable, son. You being over 25 years of age I'd expect you to know better. Writers and Directors can point a direction, but a development team as a whole is what makes the game, genius.

Take a step back for a moment shall we?

Nintendo never really made games with illustrated story lines, when they did back in the day, led to confusing results. Most of the time it's beginning plot and ending with levels you played in between. Minibosses and all that were no plot twist, we created stories in the games. It wasn't until the N64 that Nintendo themselves attempted great story lines for their games. Even then it was princesses being kidnapped, worlds lost in disarray, that whole shebang. Metroid was no real difference, it was landing on a planet clearing Metroids or aliens or even some other situational problem; Explore, upgrade, kill bosses, rinse and repeat. Over time the fans gave her that persona, as Nintendo in interviews around Prime wasn't sure what her personality truly was going. It's fitting yes, but not all developers see it the same way.

Was Mario ruined when he got into sports?
Was Zelda ruined when LotZ2 came out and further more when Wind Waker released?
Was Donkey Kong ruined with DKC, and further screwed over with Jungle Beat?
Was System Wars utterly destroyed by Days of Ruin?
Will Kirby series see the same fate with Epic Yarn?
Was the Pokemon franchise ruined with Stadium?
Hell, was even Final Fantasy ruined when the core series went online?

No? We got Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess (and Skyward Sword if you wish to include), DKCR, and Pokemon series is still going stronger than ever (in spite of having too many little monsters now)?

Then in your self-proclaimed 25+ years of age you can't get over one game in Metroid in a series? You act like this is the future set in stone forever in the series, the Smash Bros. we'll see she'll just be curled up in a corner, weeping.

Thanks for playing, son, I can direct you to an excellent first grade teacher if you need further guidance.

PS: There is no character as bad as Bella Swan in gaming outside of Final Fantasy.

Kixxie

09-09-2010

SPOILER:

If you've even played Metroid Other M..

or was smart to look it up xD

She reacted that way to Riddly because the game is about her goign after the "Baby's cry" when she's in her starship at the beginning.

and she thought (From the other previous games, when she was chasing after the specimen metroid that followed her after the end of one of the games) was the baby that was crying out to her, wanting it to find her, in the end Riddly ended up being that thing that was crying out for her.

That's what I gathered from developers though.

The baby ended up evolving, so to speak, into a form of Riddly. (I guess.)

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

09-09-2010

What do you tell a women with two black eyes?
Nothing, she's already being told twice