Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Should LoL get make another map or 2?

Yes!! 12 92.31%
No!! 1 7.69%
Voters 13 .

League of Legends Maps

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Concerto

Recruiter

04-07-2011

So no one knows exactly when Magma chambers is coming out? I know no one can predict when its coming out if they keep finding things wrong with it, but i'm just wondering.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-07-2011

No. Riot has not announced a release date, as one of the worst things you can do from a company's pov is to announce a release date and then flop on it. It's better to keep quiet until you know you will be able to put it out soon, as it keeps you from disappointing people.

When they do finally announce the release date, it will be a big todo, and you will see it under announcements and everyone will be talking about it, so it's not something that you need to check back on.

Dreadfoul

05-11-2011

Quote:
Panzerfaust:
No. Riot has not announced a release date, as one of the worst things you can do from a company's pov is to announce a release date and then flop on it. It's better to keep quiet until you know you will be able to put it out soon, as it keeps you from disappointing people.

When they do finally announce the release date, it will be a big todo, and you will see it under announcements and everyone will be talking about it, so it's not something that you need to check back on.

personally learning a map takes about 1 play for me but i am a veteran from WC3 and i dont think you guy should worry about people have to learn new maps like new champions you want to learn ways to master then and i beleive everyone new and old would appreciated a new map to run on and rip peoples heads off im just throwing in my 2 cents thats all

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

05-11-2011

You say you could 'learn the map,' but you don't just need to know where things are, you need to know which champions are more powerful on this map than the others, which champions are less useful, which items, summoner spells, runes and masteries change in usefulness, which roles or compositions are more/less powerful? How are junglers different, are there fewer/more that can jungle effectively, is counter jungling easier or harder, do the different buffs make it impossible for some to jungle, or possible for others? How many champions are in each lane, does it drastically change laning compositions? It's not just 'okay, for this map you just play zerg and build zerglings to rush at the start, if they survive you build hydrolisks.'

Let's take the two maps we currently have: TT (small 3v3) and SR (medium 5v5). The 'metas' for each are completely different: Beefy DPS are rated extremely highly on TT, and pure damage dealers (without utility: mobility/CC/etc) are rated much lower. This is because there are fewer people to focus you down, meaning a soak can last that much longer beating on your squishy. It's also much easier to protect someone in a 5v5, when you have four other champions to pick for CC/utility in guarding them, or just locking down the enemy so you can hit them.

Hexadex

06-06-2011

Yeah, i thi new maps wold be cool but i know that i need to learn my itme builds and just work on leveling and getting better

When i was really i to SC Brood War, a lot of games were determined not only whonwas better but who knew the tactical advantages of each map. I am a noob but i am sure this applies to LoL.

Lumincryste

06-06-2011

Quote:
Panzerfaust:
You say you could 'learn the map,' but you don't just need to know where things are, you need to know which champions are more powerful on this map than the others, which champions are less useful, which items, summoner spells, runes and masteries change in usefulness, which roles or compositions are more/less powerful? How are junglers different, are there fewer/more that can jungle effectively, is counter jungling easier or harder, do the different buffs make it impossible for some to jungle, or possible for others? How many champions are in each lane, does it drastically change laning compositions? It's not just 'okay, for this map you just play zerg and build zerglings to rush at the start, if they survive you build hydrolisks.'

Let's take the two maps we currently have: TT (small 3v3) and SR (medium 5v5). The 'metas' for each are completely different: Beefy DPS are rated extremely highly on TT, and pure damage dealers (without utility: mobility/CC/etc) are rated much lower. This is because there are fewer people to focus you down, meaning a soak can last that much longer beating on your squishy. It's also much easier to protect someone in a 5v5, when you have four other champions to pick for CC/utility in guarding them, or just locking down the enemy so you can hit them.

Panzerfaust I understand you are a genuine and intellectual person within this community; however, I disagree with you in that "learning a map" whether on the basic or Meta level should NOT be a reason Riot releases maps so sparsely. New players will be new and are always going to be at a disadvantage regardless of which ever map they play on.

Some alternative ideas I have in response to this steep learning curve are, add a function within the Summoner Profile Screen to remove a map from random rotations for that summoner (admittedly only useful once we have more maps) so that player cannot be forced into a map they have no experience with, or to not allow Ranked play on a new map for players without first making them play (possibly win only) a Normal game first.

I myself love the concepts of Meta and new champions add some variety to the 2 maps we have already but I think the community as a whole would be much happier with a number of other maps.

The competitive scene loves to play maps that have been mastered but there are those who play this game not to reach highest rank but to play a game and having only 2 maps to do so (especially when certain contrived "modes" of play are used to spice up the dynamics) can quickly bore players.

That being said I anxiously await the release of Magma Chamber and also request Bots be programmed to work on Twisted Treeline and Magma Chamber (hopefully that is already being done) to help new players hone their skills in those arenas.

Cryloxx

06-06-2011

Quote:
Panzerfaust:
If you think the burden of knowledge is high now, try playing a game where you need to memorize 5-10 or more different maps in case you get placed in one. If you don't, you'll lose to that guy who you're better than, but has played more so he knows the maps better.

That's it. I'm starting a text file of the reasons they don't have a new map out, and I'll post it in this forum when it's done. I'm starting to get a tad peeved at people who complain about 'no new maps,' when they're either the same who complain the learning curve is too steep, or simply refuse to read the above posts.

Ohh, So that's Why Panzerfaust is an "Emissary of the League"! :P

DreamingWarrior

06-07-2011

New maps surely would be more fun because the old 2 or 3 maps are getting
boring.......

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

06-07-2011

I love when people read the above posts so they understand what's going on, oh wait... XD

bajarbum

06-07-2011

Generally speaking: More maps => more matchmaking ques => more load on servers => Higher que times => People posting about how this game is boring because they have to wait for so long for a game..