Rise of the Thorns: Inside the Art of Zyra

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ninjanick11

07-18-2012

just have her come out so i can play her

Arajobin

07-18-2012

Interesting, one of the first Q&A

Prince Kassad

07-18-2012

Meh, making Zyra a plant-covered redhead seems a little too reminiscent of Poison Ivy, IMO. I want to see more diverse appearances for the humanoid champions, especially the females. How about some more human champs that are black, brown, old, short, muscular, fat, scrawny, monstrous, etc. to give us a little variety. I'm getting kind of bored with the artwork of this game. Hopefully Riot starts mixing things up soon because Zyra's appearance was waaaay too predictable.

BADAR5E GAM3R

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeeksNaman View Post
Drawing Zyra in the middle of the plants, in the middle of the thicket, lends itself to her predatory nature. She’s lurking and waiting in the trees.
So she is a jungler..hmm I see what you did there.

Hentitan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

reverse racist

07-18-2012

lol it took riot a year to come up with Poison Ivy.

SquirtleLuv

07-18-2012

you know what riot ive been patient with the huge lagg issues the constant diconnects on the launcher preventing me to play or change my masteries and runes and now a champ who ive been excited for since the idea was thrown out with ur plant guy i forget his name ive saved up and played hard to afford her the first champ since shyvana im not buying with rp and u still find a way to delay her and for once i just want to say screw you guys you have never once responded to me u ignored me morello when i said what her skills would be and i was right u guys constantly ignore alot of us and alll we askedfor is a little feed back and nothing so screw you

ZombieCakes

07-18-2012

Thanks, Riot, I enjoy reading this, as I am an artist myself, and I always look up concept art and such. This is pretty cool, finding out what kind of feel the artists wanted out of their character and what it's like to make it come alive. Though, I really found this part funny:

Katie: "Rendering her materials. You know, what she’s built out of? I didn’t want it to be human skin, since she isn’t human"

I honestly can't get over her and Shyvana. Such a great opportunity to come up with an extravagant creature and you go for a completely human form. It's a huge let down, considering there's great talent in painting. Maybe character design just isn't your thing?

TheEnygma

07-18-2012

you're missing a question:

why make an attractive yet seductive and almost scheming teaser image, then create a more violent looking and generally pissed-off splash image?

iMyung

07-18-2012

I still wish they would have stayed with the sneak peek. I was really excited for that Zyra. You don't Have to have every new champion/skin jump forward like they're in combat. Sometimes, as was true about the past splash arts, just having the champion posing is very appealing and attractive.