Help me Understand Ranked Meta.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forsaken Egotist

07-17-2012

As a ranked player, are you expected to be able to effectively play every role or does one specialize in solo top, jungle etc. ?

I'm currently trying to fill out my roster, and I want to know if I'd be better off with a spread of characters for each role, or stick to my strengths and focus on buying all the viable champs for one particular role, so that I can counter pick efficiently.

H4xapple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2012

As of now, the ranked meta has roles as follows:

Solotop
Jungle
AD carry
AP carry
Support

When starting out on the ranked scene, I suggest learning each role so that you are able to do a role if absolutely necessary, but also try to get especially good at the role you prefer. Also, try to become really good at a few champions from that specific lane e.g. remember their build orders, situational items, learn to trade and what matchups those particular champions are good/bad in.

Iron A1dan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2012

It would be nice to learn every lane. In 1200 ELO, 90% of people call just one lane, and it's a relief to see someone who even just says top/mid/jungle or something. Also, if you can do support, very often, that is the role that takes filling.

Matake

07-17-2012

Before you consider ranked please complete the following:

Be able to play every champion to their fullest. Mastering is not required. But it's especially rewarding when you can pull off an epic combo with high skillcap champs like Lee Sin.

Be able to play every role to their fullest. Having a favorite is always nice but not required. If you can't play a specific lane then practice the champions that fit that role in normal and it'll come to you. Counter picking during the draft is a huge part of the game. You want to know counter picks so you don't get completely dominated and shut down in your lane and get blamed for your teams loss.

Be able to play until the end of your game. Surrendering is always an option but I can't count the number of game where there have been epic comebacks, even when someone was incredibly fed because some champions fall off late game.

<Insert more stuff here>

stàr

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken Egotist View Post
As a ranked player, are you expected to be able to effectively play every role or does one specialize in solo top, jungle etc. ?

I'm currently trying to fill out my roster, and I want to know if I'd be better off with a spread of characters for each role, or stick to my strengths and focus on buying all the viable champs for one particular role, so that I can counter pick efficiently.
Try and learn all the roles so you can do them, but nothing wrong with learning one more than the other, for example I always try to get jungle whenever possible because I just simply feel like its best role and the one I join most but Im still ready to do the other roles if someone else takes jungle.

And just having 2 or 3 champions for each role would be completely fine, its better to know a champion and have an okay match up than to pick something you never played but who is suppose to win the lane.

OriginalJack

07-18-2012

Also when we say learn the roles it means have the correct runes for the role also. Please do not bring your AP runes when you play AD carry etc...

defleppardruelz

07-18-2012

i'd say get a few champions and learn to play them in each role..soraka/janna/alistar are good supports, graves/ashe good adc, etc.. tons of mids, tops, and junglers that are all viable in ranked. you can specialize in a role, but make sure you realize that sometimes you won't be able to play that role. i love playing adc, but often times i play other roles and have the champs/rune pages to do it.

Alexfrog

07-18-2012

Everyone knowing 3 roles is good enough to not butt heads generally. Figure out what you are bad at and learn the other 3.

lastchancexi

07-18-2012

I feel like it is very important to have at least one good champ for every role, but other than that, because it's good.