Riven vs Wukong

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kat Commander

10-16-2012

Riven honestly has no real counters, making a good Riven player a very tough opponent to lane against without any jungler assistance. Thing is that she has much higher burst then Wukong, and an AOE stun for when he decides to use Decoy to disengage. She herself also having a stronger disengage than Wukong as well.

To fight Riven, your best choices tend to be between Kennen, Teemo, or Rumble. The first two just being very fast and bursty, and Rumble can take her in a sustained fight, as well has harass her with a combination of his E and Q.

Or you can opt for a tankier team comp, and that would make her almost useless in late game. Mids like Ryze, or Gragas. Urgot and Soraka in your bottom lane, and of course a tanky jungler. These champs will make teamfights a huge pain for even the best Riven players. Which is actually why you don't see her in tournaments.

Wukong can teamfight much better than Riven can, but doesn't really snowball as hard as other tops.

Shaboopie

10-16-2012

For all those out there supporting Wukong in this matchup, no matter what you say, it becomes a test of skill. A terribad Wukong will never beat a decent Riven. A bad Riven will never beat a mediocre Wukong. But if both players have equal skill with their champion, I'd have to give this to Riven. She'll win the lane, and that will allow her to snowball into invincibility.

Ryios

01-10-2013

Riven with AD Marks, AD Seals, AD Quints, and MR Glyphs with a 21/0/9 Talent Build and Starting Dorans can EAT wukong at level 2

It gives you 19AD from Runes, 8% armor pen from talents, AD from Talents, Cooldown reduction on flash and 10% cooldown reduction on summoner spells. Also 21/0/9 is to get extended buff duration, If you kill wukong, invade their jungle and steal there red after level 6, ward it and gank their jungle if red isn't up.

Also make sure you go 4/4 in cooldown reduction in the offense tree. With the following items....

Ionaina Boots Of Lucidity
Black Cleaver
Brutalizer -> Ghostblade
B.F. Sword -> Blood Thirster
--situational
Maw of Malthorius
Warmogs -> (atma's impaler) 30AD on 2000 health, ups chance to crit to 30%, armor
Guardian Angel
Blade of Ruined King
etc

That will give you exactly 39% cooldown reduction with talents (cap is 40%). And you will have 15% chance to crit as a bonus, which if your applyign your passive, does help (a lot)

Take Flash Exhaust, wait for wukong to overextend and hit him with W, AA, Q AA, Q AA Q AA. The second he tries to flash out, flash on top of him exhaust him and finish him.

Then immediately port and get boots and some pots and your 1 up and will dominate the lane from then on.

CON: If you should fail with this tactic, your stuck in your lane with slow MS, no pots for sustain, and the health from doran's will not be enough to keep you up if you let wukong haras you.

This can be thrown in your face if wukong also takes exhaust.

Using this build I had wukong sitting at his tower out of leveling range a lot and denied cs from level 2 to 7. I didn't need to ward, wukong was my ward, if he came to farm I knew the jungle was near, and he was.

Karunne

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryios View Post
10% crit from talents
nope, masteries give 10% crit damage not 10% crit chance

and dat necro

Ryios

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karunne View Post
nope, masteries give 10% crit damage not 10% crit chance

and dat necro
Yeah, my bad, fixed

TheStevenWu

01-27-2013

Keeping the regen and mana issue aside. Riven has two things for her in a 1v1 against wukong - her stun and her shield.

When I play wk against riven, i NEVER engage. If I engage, the shield and stun will destroy me; so... I just farm. Now a skilled player should never allow a melee champion to aa harass when farming. Assuming skilled player, the only way riven can harass wk while farming is by dashing - in which she has two options.

1) she dashes with armor. This dash is very short, it's not hard for wk to get away. Now riven lost 1/2 things going for her. wk wins fight.
2) she closes with jump. I usually time a decoy on land. Riven then usually would follow with stun or armor or both. However, I'm decoyed - she just lost 1/2 or 2/2 things going for her. wk wins fight.
3) if riven does not try to harass, wk pretty much wins after wriggles. the ult might be a problem. wk definitely wins after 11 with upgraded ult.

here's the reason why this works:
the only way riven can effectively win trades is if riven denies wk's combo. In the 2 harass scenarios, it is impossible for riven to deny the combo because she's the one who engaged. wk can now open with q. even if stunned after, wk will follow with nimbus strike with q effect still on. q+e is wk's most effective/efficient combo (as oppose to e-aa-q). by forcing riven to engage, wk capitalizes on optimal damage + forces her to waste one spell.

of course, wk has a mana issue and can't really keep it up that long in the first few levels. However, I usually play teleport with wk. Because of my passive play (I also save first spell choice until engage), I can get away from level 2 early ganks. Once level 3, it becomes quite difficult to gank wk.

so.. we trade each other - both gets low, wk has no mana. I go back, buy, tp. I now have ward and item advantage, full hp/mana, have pots. Riven has cloth armor/sword/boots/etc, no pots, maybe 1, no ward. She can't go back because everyone knows, once wk gets level advantage, he already won lane. Riven is also low, so I start zoning her hard until she has no choice but to go back. I push turret + next wave, go back. I come back a bit afterwards with half a level + item advantage. The lane is effectively mine to lose.

of course if the jungle camps lane... then can't really pull it off - but that's not a champion-specific problem. most of the time, unless it's a hard counter (eg malphite, leesin, jayce), i win my lane if i dont get killed/camped by jungle early.

Skaftoise

02-11-2013

I just had this match up in Ranked. I am a Division 1 Bronze. However, this Riven wasn't unskilled. Regardless, I was losing the match up top, but whenever I know I am countered I always wait for my jungle, they are of course, the great equalizer. That is my advice to everyone. If you are countered, farm, don't farm aggressively, and wait for your jungler to come.

Riven won the lane, but late game Wukong W--->E--->Basic--->Q--->R and their carry is dead, their team is knocked up giving your team time to cover your ass, then restart the combo on the next carry. It's pretty simple.

People focus too much on the laning phase and worry about getting countered, in the end, go with the better team comp. I know that Wukong's ult is going to be better for a team then Darius', then I will still pick Wukong even if the enemy team has a Darius.

xMiraak

05-17-2014

as long as the riven isnt trash i feel like she should win