Having a very hard time with LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MysticWav

07-17-2012

You might also want to look into Heimerdinger. A lot of people don't like him at higher level play, but he seems friendly at lower level. If you focus on your missiles and turrets you don't need to worry about skillshots or targeting the enemy since they autotarget, and the missiles have a long enough range that you shouldn't have to get close enough to the enemy where the complexities of position become real important. The flash bomb is a difficult skill shot, but it will give you something to practice those with while relying on the other two autotarget skills to be effective.

NutChip

07-17-2012

I would say that playing in the premades with your friends is probably not helping you out very much. I play in 5 man premades with my brother (who is a lvl 30) and three of my friends (who are all around lvl 20), but I'm starting to realize it is not the best learning environment for my friends. Here is how almost every single game goes: my brother and I do very well, usually getting at least 2:1 K/D ratio and carrying the team every game. My friends sometimes feed, sometimes break even, but almost never do really well. Last night it my friends were 0/10/6, 0/10/7, and 1/9/6 while my brother was 11/4/8 and I was 12/5/6. We ended up losing because they fed so much, and lets be honest, my friends were not learning anything. They were just being carried along for the ride. Yes we give them lots of advice. I always remind them to focus on map awareness, minion farm, knowning when to be aggressive and when not to be, getting the proper items, etc., but in the end all of those things come from experience. They know they need to farm minions better, they're honestly just bad at it. They know they need to ward, they know feeding is bad, it's just hard for them, especially when they are facing level 30's because they are in a premade w/ me and my brother.

At this point, you know what you need to do, and for the most part it is not advice you need, it is practice . . . and a fair playing field wouldn't hurt either. Yes it is possible to beat lvl 30s when you're level 20, but it's not likely to happen. Getting carried through games does not help you learn. Play more solo queues, or queue with only 1 or 2 of your friends at a time. You will learn with time.

One final note, some times a good way to learn is by watching players. Use spectator mode and look at ranked matches. Focus on one player, turn fog of war on, try to put yourself in his shoes. Ask why he does what he does. Try to have map awareness, and notice how he has map awareness. Watch how they build items, and how they deal w/ falling behind.

tl;dr - I advise doing more solo queues and learning on your own. Don't let your friends carry you, it is a bad learning environment. Yes, listen to their advice, but you already know what they're going to say, you just need to learn how to do it.

CirCaLegend

Recruiter

07-17-2012

alrighty hey dude first of all dont beat yourself up about doing bad its a game :3 but for some tips always know the capabilities of the champ your playing i.e can you kill the person your laning against.
Also make sure that you communicate with your team and coordinate when to attack or when to retreat after all it is a team game.
Now for a really good tip watch ranked games and learn from those 2000+ elo players who have worked hard at getting better! take notes and learn how to get to the top :3
and a good champ i would suggest would be katarina or urgot they are very straight forward and have a high skill cap which means you can always improve with them

trackmaster

07-17-2012

If your friends have smurfs play with those. I used to use my 30 to play with lvl 10 friends and we played vs mid 20s and usually lost. Took a lvl 6 smurf and the levels were fair.

Míley Dyrus

07-17-2012

Ranged AD carries are pretty easy to do well (or at least not suck) with. They can put out damage in their lane without over-committing. Just keep the minions between you, hitting the enemy laner occasionally early game and stick with your friends lane game.

ChaosTempest195

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWolfXVI View Post
I keep failing in games I play and if my team can't backpack me then we lose and its my fault and that is very depressing for me. I am currently running with a premade team and they are all trying very hard to help me but in truth I am nothing but useless dead weight because I can never stand up to getting my lane pushed or getting zoned or whatever the correct terminology is. I've tried top. ap carry, and support. My best role is probable support but even that sucks very badly. Basically I am looking for ideas to help me play better and also looking for new ideas for champs. My normal champs that I play are Shen, GP, Mordekaiser, and support Soraka. Other then that I normally dont bother with the other champs I have cause I do even worse with them. I don't have a lot of RP or IP to use so preferable 3150 IP or below champs please. I really hope someone can offer me some kind of help.
found the same thing so started playing dominion..... hope this helps

WildLeon

07-18-2012

Im gonna get flamed so hard for this but the first 2 champs i used were tryndamere and annie. Trynd is user friendly and his mechanics are easy. And annie has a life saver stun. Both also are kill magnets so it wont be too hard

TbXie

07-18-2012

If you play 4 L30's and yourself, go jungle. Winning lanes l20 vs l30 requires you to be ALOT better than your opponent in lane because he will have an insane early game compared to you.

I only know how to play toplane on a decent level (lets say 1500ELO). If you want I can give you some tips about that.

#1 Go for easy to play champions preferably with built in sustain.
Examples : Yorick - Gangplank - Olaf - Renekton. They all have a good early game so you wont get behind. You will still have to be carried cause if you go even in lane with f.e. Olaf versus something like Irelia .. You've actually lost since Irelia will outscale you.

#2 Trade
Top lane is actually an AFK lane which snowballs very hard. If you want your lane to snowball you have to get a kill ASAP. Toplane is the lane with them great escapes though. Irelia's stun, Lee Sin's dash, Wukong's decoy, Kennen's lightning surge ....

How to make sure you get a kill? If the lane is stabilized into the middle you position yourself between the minions and the brush. Everytime your lane opponent goes for a last hit and you do not have to last hit at the EXACT same time, you autoattack him once.
If he decides to turn on you you need to decide what you have to do. If you have an equal amount of skillset on him, more sustain than he has, more damage than he has, you trade (cause you are 1 autoattack in front at that point) otherwise you brushhug and have him waste his combo to eventually turn and do your full burst damage combo.
If he doesn't decide to turn on you, you quickly run in and out of the brush to ditch minion aggro. This is why positioning is so important. If you are further away from the brush the minions might actually hurt you more then you will heart your enemy champion. Do note that when doing this with meelee bruisers you have to take the masteryskill which denies minion damage to avoid casterminions to rly damage you.
If you know your jungler will be ganking toplane soon, don't be afraid to lose out on a trade by a bit. Let's say you're both at 95% and you trade. You chunk him to 55% and you are at 45%. You lost the exchange but when your jungler comes he wont have time to instaburst your 45% but you and your jungler will easally hit him for 55%. Just make sure you don't go full in when he's able to kill you before your jungle arrives.
If your champion outscales the enemies you don't necessarily want to fight. Excellent scalers are like Jax, Irelia, Vladimir

#3 Snowballing / Deny snowballing / Zone
When to freeze, when to push?

If you are ahead (21 CS = 1 kill, always keep that in mind.) you want to zone him from experience by standing between his meelee minions and casterminions. You will deny experience and he is forced to trade with you to get his possibility to CS again. If he trades and you are winning push him outof lane (even use summoners if you don't plan on killing as long as you are sure you can get him outof lane). Whenever you know he is outof lane you ALWAYS push your lane into turret. This way he loses one wave or even two wave of creeps by recalling which would imply him missing out on at least 12 CS which is half a kill. You just recall when you pushed into turret and are back in time to gain Exp / CS from it.

If he freezes his lane at turret, you roam their jungle or gank middle. Or you doubleward so you always know where their jungle is and SPAM abilities to quit the freezing. He either has to keep tanking then then, taking massive damage or he has to let 'em go to turret and at your level people still think farming under turret is impossible. Heck .. even 2K elo people miss minions under turret which is actually the easiest way to farm :P

If you are losing lane and want to freeze your lane RIGHT before your turret you should ward the entrance of your behind. Blue = Ward blue buff tribush - Purple = Ward golem to river tribush to make sure you're not getting ganked. Cause being behind toplane MOSTLY implies that Jungler+Toplane can dive you if they chunk you before being hit by turret.
You can freeze your lane by letting him push it. When he thinks he's pushing into turret you tank the minionwave RIGHT before turretaggro until your next wave arrivers. That way he has to come CS at your turret and is vunerable to any kind of ganks. You will be able to CS at the most easy spot on your map and shouldn't miss to many CS.

#5 Vision
Ward like it's your life. you ALWAYS need 1 ward in river and one in your bag. Otherwise you are forced to recall when your ward times out while at that point you could be loseing alot of xp and cs ... If you have an extra ward you always decide yourself when you have good position for recalling. I explained the recalling strategy in the zoning part. If you are winning a lane you don't want to recall before pushing a lane into the gusy turret. If you are losing you could ask for a quick-pushgank from your jungler only to prevent losing even more cs and xp.

Hope this helped.

Vikaryous

07-18-2012

Play an ADC with an escape (Ezrael, Caitlyn, Corki) and go bot with a support that has hard CC (Alistair, Taric preferably). You have a get-out-of-jail-free card on your toolkit (Flash too, if you have it) and a lane partner who can save your ass in a pinch. While carries are squishy, they probably are the easiest role imo for learning the game, and have a terrific impact on the outcome of the game itself. The support makes sure you survive the laning phase to kick-ass in teamfights.

PLAY WITH FRIENDS YOUR LEVEL. I can't stress this enough. Playing with friends is important, but not so much so that you play consistently above your skill level in premades. Several of my friends that I started LoL with quit because I pulled ahead of them in skill, and any time we played together they got steam-rolled by people my level. It's not fun, and it's frustrating to know that you're holding your friend back (which I'm assuming is part of your issue).

Good luck, and don't feel bad. We all sucked when we started, and practice makes perfect n.n

PogoPogoPogoPogo

07-18-2012

I actually played with level 30s a lot from level 5 up. I'm 25 now, play with them less often (as I'm more addicted), but still play with them frequently.

While it's a hard road, it's filled with a lot of lessons. You'll have a lot of bad games, but you'll learn quicker. I'd guess I'm better than the average level 25 who has only played against players his own level.

I would suggest, as someone did on page 1, sticking with one champion until you learn all of the rest of the game. Once you start doing well with that one champion and you've learned all the ins and outs of the game, understand the game, know a lot of enemy champion abilities, then you can branch out and try more champions. But right now you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by trying to learn the game while simultaneously trying to learn new champions.