Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hi, I'm garbage with Taric

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Resilga

09-06-2010

I've had my share of decent games with him. I can safely say that I've gotten at least 20 full games or more and yet in my best game I cannot breach mediocre.

I've seen Tarics go 10/0/10 or 0/1/29 or something but I have never been one of these. I used to tell myself that I'm just in a bad situation with bad teammates or something but the only consistent factor is me.

I know Taric is a great champ but he's the only healing champ I have ever played - I don't even play healers in other games ever so I guess the concept is still fresh. I know Tarics heals aren't going to save someone in a 1v5 but it gives the team some very useful stamina. For this I'd imagine SOME AP is nice but in the most 'thumbs up' guides I've read people don't even so much as look at AP. They get none the whole game and roflstomp.

I've also heard that he should be played like a Main Tank or an Off-Tank. Conversely I've heard he is a support character and nothing more and should not be relied on to tank (obviously this can be very situational) but I try to play him like an offtank but I will definitely try to main tank if my team calls for it.

I try very hard to be a supportive team player and go where the team needs me to be. I do not save heals for myself and I'm open to constructive criticism.

tl dr:---------------------------------------------------------------
You pro Taric players out there: What advice do you have for someone who is serious about being a great user of this toon? Guides, tips, build orders, anecdotes over hot chocolate; just help my gems be outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Thx in advance.
----------------------------------------
My starting build is usually Chalice, Mercs/NinjaT, Aegis, Frozenheart/Randuin's/Banshees, and game usually ends there and with me being a failure.

I'm bad at farming fast with him since after 6 I end up trying to leave my lane to support my team but that often yields little so I fall behind (levels and gold) in a bad, snowbally kind of way.

NickPham

09-06-2010

Check out leaguecraft and the list of strategy guides. You more or less got down what you want to be doin, but there are a couple things that really improved my taric game when I discovered them.

1) Start with mana manip, and build it to soul shroud. CDR makes taric scary.
2) MPReg/Levl seals kick ass.
3) Level dazzle last, and max your aura first. Each level of your heal makes it less mana efficient, so max it second.
4) Teleport is the skill that gets you 1/0/29

Also, remember to keep track of ur teamates, pop ur ult for big battles to give a large team damage boost. Taric's stun and heal allow you to be extremely aggressive in lane, so get an aggressive (preferably mana using) lane partner, and straight up make the enemy choose between getting EXP from creep, or dying. This is done by never hitting enemy minions except for last hits, and if your lane partner is good at last hitting, might as well let them take most the minions considering you're support.

As for items, yea get tanky if you need it, but taric is THE best aura slave (Sivir can farm faster tho). What this means is that your core should look like this for pretty much every game:
-Mana Manip
-Boots
-Aegis
-Soul Shroud
Obvious Tanky Item/Starks Fervor
-GA

I find AP to be not so useful. Starks is a great item because it's not horribly expensive, provides an awesome aura, and gives you attack speed to activate your heal's 2 second CDR per hit.

Resilga

09-06-2010

I've been all over leaguecraft, it's like my homepage - - I just can't seem to make them work for me and I think it's more how I react to certain situations than my build order or runes.

I heard too many auras on him would detract from his tankiness. I will give it a shot though.

I heard of a few fun AD builds on him but I'm sure that's not too viable unless you are with a good grp.

This is especially frustrating because I consider myself fairly good at the game. I am not new by any means and have a strong grasp on team strategy and a wealth of knowledge on other characters and builds. I play tanks almost exclusively. I just can't see why I can't click I guess.

Thanks for your help.

CrazyBolas

09-06-2010

Quote:
Resilga:
I've been all over leaguecraft, it's like my homepage - - I just can't seem to make them work for me and I think it's more how I react to certain situations than my build order or runes.

I heard too many auras on him would detract from his tankiness. I will give it a shot though.

I heard of a few fun AD builds on him but I'm sure that's not too viable unless you are with a good grp.

This is especially frustrating because I consider myself fairly good at the game. I am not new by any means and have a strong grasp on team strategy and a wealth of knowledge on other characters and builds. I play tanks almost exclusively. I just can't see why I can't click I guess.

Thanks for your help.

I have had a similar problem when playing Dota back in the day. I was used to playing tank like characters and when I would try to play a caster, I kept trying to charge into the battle -- something that always resulted in a disaster.

It's probably something similar with Taric for you. You're used to wading into the battle with tanks, but instead you might be better off watching for an opportune time to stun someone and then doing so. Wait for Nunu to try to cast his ult, then stun him and proceed to beatdown, for example. If you're focused on melee attacking something, then you aren't as focused on what to stun or who to heal. Tough change to go from wading in and smacking things to timing the heal or stun for maximum benefit.

Look who the enemy team is focused on... heal that person. That will delay your team losing someone hopefully long enough for their team to lose someone. Look who your team is focused on (hopefully a squishy). Stun that person. That will make them easy to finish off. By doing this -- one heal and one stun -- you've turned a 5v5 into a 5v4, hopefully rather quickly in the fight. That goes a long way to winning things.

Temlam

09-06-2010

dont listen to taric advice is my advice. in the next patch they're going to change his heal so at max level you need 200 ap to have the same amount of healing.
.9-1.1 on the ap ratio and 40 healing nerf to the base.

Cenerae

09-06-2010

Taric isn't really suitable to be a tank or offtank. He's a tankish support, but that doesn't mean you should stack sunfire capes on him. Your best bet is to start with a meki or doran's ring, make a chalice, then aegis of the legion unless your tank is making one. After that do soul shroud or starks, again depending on whether anyone is getting a starks. Game will be over by the time you manage to get all of those. A little AP is nice, but your heal is plenty strong enough when it matters. Late game, the extra couple hundred healing you might get out won't likely make enough difference to stop someone dropping dead, but with or without that AP you can still top people off as you push.

Playing Taric as an aura bot support makes you a force to be reckoned with as your team gets massively buffed by being around you. And that is exactly where you want them to be as Taric. In laning, get 1 rank of Dazzle and use it to set up harrass or kills with your partner. Whack minions to restore mana and lower the heal's cooldown. You should be pretty much undefeatable in lane without an outside gank. Help your team steamroll towers by activating your ult for a few seconds as you all beat on it. Roam around and help gank with your stun and shatter.

Late game, just stun the most dangerous target after your tanks run in, turn on your ult, hit shatter and try to heal where you can.

With all your auras buffing the team up, you have massive teamfight presence even if you're not raking in the assists. Naturally, all the auras in the world can't help your team if they have the collective IQ of a cheese sandwich. If your team's teamwork is lacking, try to lead them if they will listen to you. Persuade them to focus on the dangerous champs first, and assure them that if you work as a team, your auras will lead the way to victory.

Chaotic Bliss

09-06-2010

If you want some Taric build ideas, click Here (http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/browse?champions%5B%5D=32&teamsize=&threshold=partial&range=&votes=0&sort_type=create_ts&sort_order=desc&page=1&keyword=&x=31&y=7)

Ive built Tank and AP Tarics. Taric is just as much a tank as any other tank champ. He is known as the Aura Bot or Healer. He can tank just as well. Things like Aegis, Thornmail, Sunfire Cape, RoA, Merc Treads or Tabi, and Rylai's Crystal Scepter are great on Taric. Life, Armor, AP, all things needed for this tank. They arent exactly what Id use, but those are some examples of things that would be great on a tank Taric. You dont have to be this chunk of armor and insane life. As long as you can stand in front of a turret, or withstand 3-5 ppl beating on you, you are set.

On that list in the link, are many Taric Builds. The Nuke Taric is my personal build. And I must say, it works great

Tieryal

09-06-2010

Honestly. I hit up SS and a Glacial Shroud with merc treads for the 40% CDR without golem. By that point I'm around level 14 or so. I grab a teammate with madreds and we go kill baron together asap.

DoransTroll

09-06-2010

My advice--be one thing at a time.
Taric is like WoW druid--he can specialize into any role and do really well at it. But he can't be everything at the same time. I tend to pick spells that plug up my weakness early for any play style:
If I'm tanking (low AP), I prioritize Imbue.
If I'm healing (high AP), I only have 1 point in Imbue until late game.
If I'm DPSing (high AD), then I prioritize Shatter to make up for my low defense (and also for APen).

This tends to work really well until your team (if you're in soloQ) becomes overreliant on you to heal, tank and DPS at the same time. Then we're doomed.

HellBound Boss

09-06-2010

I don't understand how anyone can be bad with someone that can stun. :/
Stun the dps'er. Let your team do the rest. How I play any stunner. Generally works unless your always the one being aimed at.