Don't want to go into rank blind

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IcyFlare

07-15-2012

Hey i hit 30 about 2 months ago and have yet to play ranked.

However i want to get on the bored for any skins they may give out for season 2, my friend told me to aim for bronze or silver for now.

What should i know before i go into ranked? I'v played draft pick so i know how that works, but is it much different from normal?

Champions i feel confident in a ranked game

Lulu - support/ AP mid
swain- mid
Naut- bot support
Garen- top
Volbear-top or bot
Nunu- bot support
Kog- bot

So any tips?

acosn

07-15-2012

Have a back up for every role. Folks know how to counter pick, and if they're seeing characters like Lulu and Nunu they're going to know how to react. Plus in the greater scheme of things characters get banned, and they get picked. No one wants to hear that you can no longer play a role because the one character you can play got banned or picked. Beyond that, if characters like Evelynn can get handed down massive nerfs (EG: Evelynn's ult literally lost half it's effectiveness), it can happen to anyone. Don't be the guy who can only play one character in a role, and that character just happened to get the pants nerfed off them.

Finish your rune pages, and get at least one more. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do ranked with only two rune pages, let alone one with barely half of it filled out.

Know when to quit- its incredibly easy to tank your ELO playing characters you're simply not good with, or inexperienced with.

Don't ask what your team wants. You know what you're better at than your team. If you don't know who counters who, you need to learn that too.

The ideal pick order for any team goes in order of softest counter system to hardest counter system, or rather, your AD carry and your jungle should be chosen first with a handful of exceptions- at higher ELO's people are going to know that if there's an Amumu jungling and you invade at blue you can screw him over. AD carries have a soft web of counters at best because most of what defines their lane early game is that support. Having a Soraka bot is going to produce a lane wildly different than if you have Blitzcrank or Taric.

But mid, top, and support should be your last three picks, because they're the most prone to counter picks. Of course, at most ELO's most people just blow it out their ass because no one wants to support.

There's no such thing as a "bad" character. Get that out of your head right now. Characters that are so toxic that they're breaking the game get nerfed, locked, and removed. There are, however, characters that demand your team adjust what they pick.

Communicate. Don't be the guy who tells his team he can't play a role when he's up for pick, and that pick happens to be last. Don't be the guy picking an aggressive support when you intend to be passive.

It's a ****ing team game. One of the most cancerous concepts in League is the idea that in a 10 person game, with a team of five people the entirely of the game is defined by one person. If a teammate is doing badly the consequences effect the whole team, and it's their job to do something about it. It's beyond inexcusable to ignore a lane that's told you from the start of the game that they're going to have a rough time. Games that last less than 30 minutes are not won and lost by one person. Yes, you can get teams where one guy is literally doing everything he can to lose- purposely feeding, saying in all chat what his team is doing, ect- but in over 500 games I've seen it once.

A little consequence of that is that petty in-fighting does absolutely nothing. Don't get into shouting matches, and if you're not but your team is, be blunt about it and tell them to shut up and play. Games are not (generally) won in the first 20 minutes, but many games are lost. Every once in a while the wheels will just fall off the bus, and one team will be pushing inhibs at 15 minutes, but that's not every game. Absolutely retarded kill deficits can be overcome quite handily, and sometimes it means knocking your teams heads together a bit. Being down four or five kills means the enemy team has a pickaxe. How incredibly perilous.

One of the most common mistakes a team makes is over-valuing their outer towers. If you're seeing four people pushing bot, back off. 150 gold for the entire enemy team is much better than that, and two kills. Most of the early game if you can't fight an even fight, you want to be where your opponent isn't. Clearing the outer towers only means they have marginally better access to your jungle. Two wards will tell you all you want to know about who's in your jungle, and I've seen more games than I can count won and lost because once all the easy targets were gone from the field, the enemy team just floundered.

If you engage 4v5 and lose, it's not the fifth guy's fault. Not every character is built for team fighting, not every character has a vested interest in even being with the team for straight up team fights- characters like Master Yi and Fiora are by design clean-up characters. Other characters like Teemo are designed to skirmish, harass, and push.

No one needs to ask permission to buy wards. Your support has enough on their plate. It's one thing if they straight up ignore wards, but telling them they need to buy more wards when the enemy team is clearly porking your team for counter warding, and your team is either doing nothing, or completely half-assing pulling an oracles off a tank or something, its not the god**** support's problem. You're also not going to bankrupt yourself spending 300 gold over the course of an entire game buying wards.

Hm.... that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ouroborous HD

07-15-2012

everything the last guys said except i also recommend that you expand yourself to be able to play all roles. for me i have over 80 champions so it isnt hard for me to be any role or counter pick for that matter. so play some more normal and build up ip until you have at least three in each role you feel comfortable with.

yes i used ip to get all of those champions

ProPlayerEd

07-15-2012

Also as a friendly tip, In low Elo games, there's a tendency to surrender when the odds are against them.

Like when you are beating them 20 to 4 then you will know one of the enemies are saying, " GG Noob Mid" or whoever got pub-stomped.

Basically it's always good to try to get that FB and very strong lead because even in normal games you hear say GG when the enemy gets FB.

Hope this help , GL and HF and may your journey through the ladders of Elo be safe.

IcyFlare

07-15-2012

Thanks acosn, lots of helpful info, the ward part was my favorite XD i forget how many times iv been told to buy wards after iv spent 1000+ gold on wards.

Is there a good site that have info on who counters who?

How much elo is a bronze and silver rank?

also Dark and Pro, thanks for the info. May the ELO gods be with me

Ouroborous HD

07-15-2012

its unlikely the ELO gods are very fickle.

ProPlayerEd

07-15-2012

Quote:
How much elo is a bronze and silver rank?
Bronze is 1250 - 1399

Silver is 1400 - 1519

Gold is 1520 - 1899

Platinum is 1900 +

I just added gold and plat just if you wanted to know

IcyFlare

07-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPlayerEd View Post
Bronze is 1250 - 1399

Silver is 1400 - 1519

Gold is 1520 - 1899

Platinum is 1900 +

I just added gold and plat just if you wanted to know
what were the rewards for season 1?

FlavenMan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2012

Don't play Lee Sin.

Get it?

PlayWithMe69

07-15-2012

http://www.lolcounterpicks.com/champions

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Two counter pick lists. Though, the second one is the only actual list.