"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frowny Cupcake

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst ofthe Best View Post
I disprove of how you imply that a DotA player won't be able to waltz into League and become platinum. You're omitting skill levels in an attempt to gain support for your argument. You basically have to do this in your case, however, because if you said a noob went in and couldn't get platinum, there's nothing to prove. But if you said a pro player went in and got Platinum in a week, then you would lose strength in your argument.

[Edited above]

So basically, why I dislike your statement:

If a noob from DotA walks into League, they'll be a noob at League.

If a decent player from DotA walks into League, they'll still be pretty decent at League.

If a pro from DotA walks into League, you better but your ****ing socks they'll be good at League (because it's a simpler game).
I actually agree that a good DotA player will probably be a good LoL player. That's only because they are very similar games though, not the complexity. After getting used to the differences the core mechanics will be similar and the player will most likely be of a similar skill level in both games. I'd expect a great DotA player to be a great LoL player with a little practice, and a great LoL player to be a great DotA player with a little practice.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

srkfx

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post

The Counterstrike series

The Call of Duty Series

Of those two, which one is more complex? Which one do you think takes more skill.
Now which is more complex:

CS 1.6 with pistols only or CS 1.6 with all weapons?

In second you have decision making,in first you don't,thus second is harder.
Which doctor gets more $$$,one doing complex jobs on your body,or one making you prescriptions?


Don't make stupid analogies,comparing game that cater to casuals to one catering to hardcore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeK200 View Post

Press a single button, jump over blocks. Simple

But then the screen goes upside down, you get three sets of spikes to avoid, the blocks begin to appear half a second before you get a chance to jump on them.
In other words,the more COMPLEX game become,harder it is?

Tnx for backing up my argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodpaly View Post
I hazily remember the 2 or 3 games I played on my way through 1400 Elo, and I would certainly not say that anyone there has mastered the game.
My friend laughed at me how he is among top 0.5% and i can't get to 1.5k.Then,he played on my PC once.Never again he made he mentioned our difference in ELO.

Moral of story? If i can get among 5(or 10?)% best with such handicaps,something is srsy wrong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Specialist

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Easy? They must all be at the top of the ELO ladder then. The difficulty of this game is determined by the players, not the mechanics.

The simplicity of it is a beautiful thing, too. Simple things can interact in complex ways.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katoobnyne

Senior Member

07-16-2012

I'll just leave this here.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mister Sandbag

Senior Member

07-16-2012

It is easy when compared to other top-end competitive games. DotA is far more difficult in burden of knowledge and mechanics.

With that being said, it's still far more difficult than 90% of games out there.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a4mad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-16-2012

To me, lol is over simplifying way too much. Every patch, things are getting homogenized and simplified, anything new is either deemed OP or UP and nerfed/removed. Also, lol is easier. I'm going to get down voted to oblivion for this, but it is. Less actionable items, fewer mechanics to understand, no trees, FoW is dumbed down. Overall lol is trying too had to make the game appeal to newer players, while removing anything interesting for more experienced players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoobnyne View Post
I'll just leave this here.
LoL doesn't have trees, any difficult to use/interesting active items, i don't see how summoner spells, AP or CDR make a game less casual, passives make it more casual, tenacity is a stupid stat which has been proven many times by irelia, while BKB (magic immunity) is much better with a short term burst of 100% tenacity/mr, but with the downside of taking up a slot and reducing in duration every time you use it.
Hypocrisy much?
I don't even play hon and i can point out the flaws in your stupid one sided argument, at least try to show perspective from both sides.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Frowny Cupcake

Senior Member

07-16-2012

I'm not denying that LoL has less mechanics and that it is quicker to get a basic understanding of the game. But the fact is, once you get the game down, you have the same tools to work with as the enemy - you're not playing against a computer on some standard difficulty - so the difficulty of the game is measured by how skilled you are vs how skilled your opponents are.

Let's say you have 50 different things to manage at one time in DotA, and you have 10 things to manage at a time in LoL. In DotA in that situation it would be harder to manage all of those things than only 10 things for LoL. However, your opponents are also having a harder time, so it balances out and once again is simply a skill matchup - how good you are with using the tools you are given.

If it was true that LoL is much easier than DotA, average DotA players would walk into LoL and get easy platinum.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knyaz

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Dota isn't hard because its complex. Its hard because its utterly rubbish , and no one should be forced to deal with its bin game play , and bin design.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyle700

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Dota has more complex mechanics, which lead to a deeper game, I feel. At least at the competitive level, this is very apparent from watching both games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyle700

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoobnyne View Post
I'll just leave this here.
That is awfully silly. At the very least, trees are much more entertaining then brush. I'd like to see anybody in dota death bush using trees.