"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreeK

Senior Member

07-16-2012

A good example of this would be The Impossible Game on Android, Xbox 360, and PSP.

The game is as simple as can be. It's difficult as hell though.

Press a single button, jump over blocks. Simple

But then the screen goes upside down, you get three sets of spikes to avoid, the blocks begin to appear half a second before you get a chance to jump on them.

Difficult as all hell, I'll say.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlackJesus101

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post
Doctors don't make more money because it's a difficult profession, they make more because Hospitals want the best of the best and are willing to pay for it. Becoming a doctor doesn't mean instant money in the bank, or a Job at that.

Also, more complex = harder to understand.



Complexity isn't directly related to skill.

It's not hard to grasp, it really isn't.

But here, we'll do this.

The Counterstrike series

The Call of Duty Series

Of those two, which one is more complex? Which one do you think takes more skill.
While i understand and agree with you on the whole i feel like i shouldremind people that Call of Duty 4 did actually take skill it was after 4 that they declined in skill


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worst ofthe Best

Senior Member

07-16-2012

I disprove of how you imply that a DotA player won't be able to waltz into League and become platinum. You're omitting skill levels in an attempt to gain support for your argument. You basically have to do this in your case, however, because if you said a noob went in and couldn't get platinum, there's nothing to prove. But if you said a pro player went in and got Platinum in a week, then you would lose strength in your argument.

[Edited above]

So basically, why I dislike your statement:

If a noob from DotA walks into League, they'll be a noob at League.

If a decent player from DotA walks into League, they'll still be pretty decent at League.

If a pro from DotA walks into League, you better but your ****ing socks they'll be good at League (because it's a simpler game).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vsin

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Chess is simple?

Try Go. The rules are extremely simple: players take turns placing their colour of pieces on the board. If a player manages to completely encircle the opponent with no gaps, the opponent loses the encircled pieces.

That's it. Now for a fun fact: while supercomputers have managed to beat chessmasters on even grounds, modern Go computers can barely break even with Post-Secondary level players...and not without a MASSIVE handicap.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Britishbubba

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkfx View Post
So:
-figures out that he's wrong
-try to blame on my grammar?

It's not new strategy,but it is mostly underused,since it makes you look like total ******.
1. I'm not wrong.
2. you make no sense because your sentences aren't even complete thoughts or cogently formed most of the time. It's hard to figure out what the **** you mean when your sentence isn't even a sentence.

So lets try this again. If AP != Ability power, what is it exactly?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miles Long

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frowny Cupcake View Post
My point is just because a game is harder to pick up doesn't make it harder overall or a better game like many DotA enthusiasts believe.
Except DotA is actually a better game as this one (LoL) is nothing more than a clone of it.

DotA has been around longer, achieved a greater amount of success and is balanced better. Simple facts.

LoL needs another decade or two of Riot's sloth paced development before it can ever consider stepping one toe out of DotA's shadow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worst ofthe Best

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
Except DotA is actually a better game as this one (LoL) is nothing more than a clone of it.

DotA has been around longer, achieved a greater amount of success and is balanced better. Simple facts.

LoL needs another decade or two of Riot's sloth paced development before it can ever consider stepping one toe out of DotA's shadow.
Everything being OP != balance.

My computer from 1990 is still around, but it's still **** compared to today's standards.

LoL already beat DotA. Thanks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkfx View Post
Just what is hard to master in this game? I hit 1400 with support,and i have 7 fps/250 ping for ****s sake,game is just so forgiving that it isn't funny,.

Last hitting is easy, itemization is non-existent(i bought MR against ap heavy team,im so pro!!!111),warding is a joke,roaming impossible,meta is super stagnant.

It's so EASY to be good at this game,just grind some runes,master 3 champs in 10 games(since they are,as you say "simple"),go in line that meta predefined,and unless you are braindamaged you will have silver,even if you play few games a week.



Some people prefer hard stuff,because they enjoy challenge.
I hazily remember the 2 or 3 games I played on my way through 1400 Elo, and I would certainly not say that anyone there has mastered the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
Except AoS is actually a better game as this one (DotA) is nothing more than a clone of it.

AoS has been around longer, achieved a greater amount of success and is balanced better. Simple facts.

DotA needs another decade or two of Icefrog/Guinsoo/whomever's sloth paced development before it can ever consider stepping one toe out of AoS's shadow.
huehuehue


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holy Malevolence

Senior Member

07-16-2012

Simplicity and ease are not the same thing. Some of the most complex games in the world are among the easiest, and some of the simplest are among the hardest. One is a box with fifty four small colored squares, each side divided into nine, with six different colored squares. The objective is to make it so that all squares of the same color are on the same side of the box. Extremely simple.

This puzzle is ridiculously difficult to solve.