"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enraged Nebula

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejacu1337 View Post
"In difficulty, LoL is one of the hardest games out there"

Stopped reading when I saw this.
then why are you on a GENERAL DISCUSSION forum. ****ing moron

XhyHzy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

ITT: League of legend players, agreeing on League of Legends topic while disagreeing about Dota2.

Hm...

XhyHzy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ăither▀urst View Post
and if I had to guess, more than likely to discuss things in a general sense.

1337 2thaparty

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ăither▀urst View Post
Because I like nice in depth discussions on champion balance. Not some bandwagoner who thinks League revolutionized the ASSFAG genre (Aeon of Strife Style Fortress Assault Game). Because lets face it, if you want a true Moba by definition, play BLC or Dissidia FF or even Quake. (Not hating btw, just stating an opinion).

Frowny Cupcake

07-18-2012

May I once again stress no flaming in this thread?

B33TL3

07-18-2012

I've read the first 13 pages.
The one thing that keeps bugging me is thus

People are all like "DotA has all these mechanics, blah blah blah"
One thing I see repeated is "orb walking."

Now, I was a youngin when DotA came out, and I'm still in my mid-late teens, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that orbwalking was originally an accident birthed by the Warcraft 3 engine?

1337 2thaparty

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33TL3 View Post
I've read the first 13 pages.
The one thing that keeps bugging me is thus

People are all like "DotA has all these mechanics, blah blah blah"
One thing I see repeated is "orb walking."

Now, I was a youngin when DotA came out, and I'm still in my mid-late teens, but correct me if I'm wrong in saying that orbwalking was originally an accident birthed by the Warcraft 3 engine?
Yes, I do believe it was. Then again, the Warcraft 3 engine had tons of bugs and constraints that cause for funny, yet abusive gameplay. Orbwalking, however wasn't the worst of the pile so it was unchanged.

B33TL3

07-18-2012

Quote:
Yes, I do believe it was. Then again, the Warcraft 3 engine had tons of bugs and constraints that cause for funny, yet abusive gameplay. Orbwalking, however wasn't the worst of the pile so it was unchanged.
I guess my point is that a lot of people laud DotA for "intuitive and original mechanics," when one of the most oft repeated ones was a complete accident by engine, not a mechanic passed down from the game developer Gods.

Is that fair to say?
Like I said, I never played Warcraft 3 or DotA, and my attempts at playing DotA 2 have been WDF IS GOING ON WHERE IS THIS WHAT SHOP OH GOD WHY

1337 2thaparty

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33TL3 View Post
I guess my point is that a lot of people laud DotA for "intuitive and original mechanics," when one of the most oft repeated ones was a complete accident by engine, not a mechanic passed down from the game developer Gods.

Is that fair to say?
Like I said, I never played Warcraft 3 or DotA, and my attempts at playing DotA 2 have been WDF IS GOING ON WHERE IS THIS WHAT SHOP OH GOD WHY
Well lots of things happen on accident. Like combing in SFII. It was accidental, the devs saw that you could link moves in the "destroy the car" level and decided to leave it in. Low and behold, comboing is now a major part in all fighting games.

B33TL3

07-18-2012

Quote:
Well lots of things happen on accident. Like combing in SFII. It was accidental, the devs saw that you could link moves in the "destroy the car" level and decided to leave it in. Low and behold, comboing is now a major part in all fighting games.
I'm not denying that great things happen by accident.
I'm just trying to stress that a lot of people give credit to whoeverthehellmade DotA (Yeah, I have no clue. So what?) for all these great mechanics, when some of them were just like "Oh. That's a thing. I guess it works. So many people use it.... might's well leave it, I guess," and thus became an essential, game-changing mechanic. >.<