"Simple" and "Easy" aren't the same thing

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darjh

07-18-2012

Except the people who say League or DotA or Starcraft or whatever are hard/easy forget that each game is competitive and only as difficult/easy as the Videogames McJoe on the other team makes it.

inno By

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
tl;dr: Clarity is the most important thing on this front, and when done right, makes a game more deep and make more sense. These are not competing goals, but instead, complimentary ones.
Morello described perfectly the difference between simplicity and the high level, action oriented decision making that exists in LoL. I would however, add something to his comments, more of a shot at DoTA hardcore groupies than any real meaningful contribution to the discussion.

DoTA is a game who's "skill" comes from straight up 2D knowledge of the game. DoTA is all about hard countering, and not so much about soft counters. LoL (props to the lol team for this) has many many more soft counters, or skill based counters than DoTA. Take Fiora vs Teemo top for example. Teemo is a dominant anti tanky DPS up top. He's got good mobility free wards and packs a nice harass mechanism. Fiora being a squishy melee AD carry should technically be at a disadvantage at top, this is by far not the case.

Fiora's Parry shuts down a Teemo entirely, but you can't "preparry" or you'll just get hurt, the best possible timing of a Fiora parry is when Teemo's blindshot projectile is in the air. This isn't simple, it takes timing patience and awareness, it's trading without putting yourself at risk, and by mid game you can almost kill teemo with just parry unless he takes to straight farming, which makes him useless at his position top.

FatherCloud

07-18-2012

Yes, being paired against people that are at your level with does make a game easier, technically, if you look at all of the mechanics that are involved with both LoL and Dota 2, it is fair to say that Dota 2 is probably harder to master. Just like how even though you are being paired against another individual in checkers, that does not mean checkers is as hard as chess. Chess is more dynamic and has pieces that do different things, therefore having more options available. In Dota 2, you have more options, as the hero set is much more diverse and heroes feel more unique from one another. However, the limited options presented in LoL makes it a lot more fluid to get into the game and understand it. The Attack Damage and Ability Power difference is a lot easier to understand then the Stats system presented in Dota 2, along with all the Attack Damage and other stats. I do believe that LoL has an extremely high cap to the skill it takes to play the game, but Dota 2 has a slightly higher cap just based on the fact it has more game mechanics which you also need to master. I love both games, and even though they both have really bad communities at times, they are both very fun to play, and its kinda annoying to hear everyone fanboy over one game or the other.

TL;DR: Both games are equally awesome and fun to play, but I believe that Dota 2 has a higher skill cap because of added mechanics that were taken away from LoL. I do believe LoL is easier, but only because it's learning curve starts at a lower point, while Dota 2's learning curve starts higher.

Phourc

07-18-2012

Is it bad what I got from that was:

"To anyone who says League of Legends is an easy game...you're ****ing high." - Morello

BohemianParody

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

@Morello, DOTA to LOL is like COUNTER STRIKE to CALL of DUTY, why? Because like Counter Strike, Dota emphasizes heavily on the MECHANICAL ASPECT along with the teamplay aspect, thats why people often consider Counter Strike as a "higher skillcap" game compared to Call of Duty despite all the flashy customizations that CoD gives you.

dyfrgi

07-18-2012

Shorter Morello:
Buffs to Clarity incoming.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofSFL View Post
More Complex =/= Harder and that is what he is saying. I've played both League and HoN and I have to say that the only real difference (other than Skill usage) is simply the amount of mechanics involved. That's about it, the core concepts are exactly the same. Fact is, more mechanics, more things to do, does not really mean it's going to be harder in any manner, it just means you are going to have to learn more.
Lolol, paper scissors rock is just as hard as LoL, just b/c you have to do more things in LoL, like position and strategize, doesn't mean its a harder game!!!!11!!!1

Though I understand what yall are saying, Dota has a lot of mechanics that make things complicated for no reason. Like orb walking. They have a lot of mechanics that add to competitiveness and that have counterplay, like tree juking. Overall Dota is a more COMPETITIVE game b/c there's more options at your disposal that the opponents can counterplay.

Micalas

07-18-2012

Whenever someone gives me that load of bull**** I ask them to carry me to plat.

SQUlRTLE SQUAD

07-18-2012

The best DOTA team won't beat the best LoL team in a game of LoL and vice versa. Argument is over. I WIN! AHAHHAAHAHA...excuse me.

Jgame

07-18-2012

Bump.