Wukong vs Pantheon (Solo Top)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I Dunk Your Mom

07-15-2012

Hey, I am wondering if I could some feedback from some experienced WuKong players on the Wukong vs Pantheon match up in the solo top lane. I just started playing WuKong after purchasing him while he is on sale, played around five non-ranked with him before taking him into ranked where I am currently 4-0 with him. However, my last game was against a Pantheon and I got completely sh*t on in the lane phase though was able to able to recover a tiny fraction of my dignity back in the late game, and win, albeit going 9/12/10 -- which IS a recovery from being 3/9 at one point, but definitely shows that I need to improve with WuKong. The build order that I went was: Cloth Armor, Pots x5, Boots, Wiggles, Ninja Tabi, Phage - Zeal - Sheen - TF - Ghostblade.

I think a big problem was that I tried to fight him at level two and got annihilated, and then was focused by their jungling Nautilus whilst receiving no assistance from our jungling Riven. But, I am looking for any suggestions on how to play the match up. The other laners I've played against in ranked with Wukong have been: Fiora, Warwick, and Renekton. Warwick and Renekton were both very difficult but I was able to play defensively and maintain a strong K/D/A with good assistance from my junglers in those respective games.

Axiaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2012

Yup. You definitely shouldn't fight Pantheon unless you already have a big advantage over him. Play passively and don't try to stay in lane when you have low hp, his crit will finish you off.. He falls off late game unless you feed him. Also, once he reaches 6, you must absolutely call mia or he'll ult onto other lanes. Warding the river is also a good idea.

Other than that, you handled the match up pretty well. Though getting an early Chain Vest would've been a good idea as well.

KazeNoShounen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2012

Pantheon is a annoying champ to play against as Wukong, very annoying indeed. Wukong's main problem when facing Panth is that he can easily out trade you either by constantly throwing spears in your face, or by using his jump, HSS and spear combo. His shield prevents you from immediately using your E, Q and W to get away since you'll need to autoattack once to get rid of the shield. It's not that you are bad, just that mechanically, Panth's kit simply counters Wukong's. Btw, I'm no pro, but I would recommend sticking a Heart of Gold or Avarice Blade early on in your build since the GP/10 really helps in situations where you are behind in kills or farm.

ANguyen361

07-15-2012

i play both at solo top. and pantheon has a great lane phase with his burst weq combo. but wukong is more viable for team fights when laning phase is over. and he needs to be built melee ad carry to do great while wukong can build tanky dps but still dish out alot of damage. its all up to the player though.

SaveTheMaids

07-16-2012

This matchup is part of the reason I stopped playing Wukong.

Wait til you go against Lee Sin, Shen, and Rumble.

They are far more obnoxious than Panth imo.
Darius is kinda annoying too.

Halegorn

07-16-2012

Pantheon seems to counter Wukong very well. The last game I played as Pantheon against Wukong top he got annihilated. I ended up going 21/10/14 or something crazy like that. Wukoing is a strong solo top, I beat the **** out of Kayle, who is also a very good solo lane, with him. However, just something about Pantheon whoops most Wukong ass. A stun, spear, and HSS which hits you whether you are in stealth or not. At level 6 though, Wukong gets a slightly better advantage being able to use his ult on you when you can't use it on him, seeing as how easy it is dodge at close range, and it is never a good idea to use that in a 1v1 fight. In general though, Pantheon counters Wukong most of the time.

cavecricket48

07-16-2012

Actually, I don't understand. A good Wukong should be able to predict when Panth will most likely use Aegis, Decoy for absorbing Aegis, and then pull off his combo, no problem. Why do people say he's a counter?

Perhaps it's just player skill, I guess.

Puffy Nipples

07-16-2012

Ive done bad vs pantheon when I first played him after i learned his tricks it wasn't so bad. Never engage with E on him or at all really when hes got shields up he will just block it. Play passive dodge spears (move around sporadically) and E, Q him when his shields are down try to do it when hes near minions so you also get some CS with some added aggro. Make sure you and your jungler are coordinated especially when you hit 6 should be an easy kill and that slows him right down. make sure you start boots pots. Try decoy before he jumps on you with his bash when decoy pops E, Q in for added damage.

Hempy

07-16-2012

^ you know you can't dodge spears since it's targeted.

Puffy Nipples

07-16-2012

^ haha good point i was thinking nids mechanics my bad yeah just gotta keep outta range and go in when he blows it on CS bushes are good too. Build armor will also help