Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DonnFirinne

07-15-2012

This post is concerning what Riot wanted to do with Ryze a few months ago, and how it unequivocally failed.

Ryze is the League's only mana-mage at the moment. His spells draw most of their power from his maximum mana, instead of his AP. This allows him to build very differently from other mages, and coupled with his lower damage per hit machine-gun spellcasting made him a very unique pick.

The Problem: Ryze had one single viable build. Tear of the Goddess, Frozen Heart, Rod of Ages, Banshee's Veil, Sorcerer's Shoes, and a defensive item of his choice, if the game ever lasted that long. Lots of people thought it was because Ryze was too tanky to be dealing as much damage as he was, but that's just not true.

Riot's Solution: Reduce Ryze's mana ratios and increase his AP ratios. The changes can be seen in the most recent patch listed here: http://lol-patch.com/ryze.html. Riot thought that by improving his AP ratios they could open Ryze up to building AP items that did not also feature mana and thus give Ryze more than one build path.

The Problems with the Solution: The most glaring problem is that it didn't work. Ryze's returns from building mana outweighed his returns from building AP, so his build remains the same. The only thing it did was make it a little more worth the gold for Ryze to upgrade his Tear into an Archangel's Staff.
The underlying issue is that giving Ryze, the only mana mage, higher AP ratios and lower mana ratios threatens the only thing that truly separates Ryze from other champions. If Riot decides to continue making these changes until Ryze can viably build AP items, he will become a rapid fire AP caster. Casters who spam their spells already exist in various forms, so this is not an especially unique trait.

A Better Solution: New mana items. It sounds simple, but it isn't, and I know that. Items are hard to balance, and get harder with each new champion. Making new items for one single champion is a lot of work for little reward. I know. But Ryze has a unique mechanism, so he needs unique attention, especially when it comes to his mana items. I'm not saying Riot has to make new mana items, nor do I know if they will, but it is the only solution to Ryze's build problems that keep him who he was designed to be.

Bromoner

07-15-2012

Upvote and bump for a well thought out post. Also, a further solution would be to make one or two other mana mages so that new mana items would seem more appealing to create.

Katoobnyne

07-15-2012

An Even Better Solution: Rework Ryze. Getting power from mana is an inherently broken mechanic, especially since most endgame mana items have huge defensive stats. I don't care how "unique" it is, "unique" does not mean "good". A champion with an instakill ability would also be pretty "unique". It was a stupid idea to make Ryze that way in the first place.

MCMCMAN2

07-15-2012

Heres maybe a quick start.

Sapphire Crystal + Ampliphying Tome + Faerie Charm = Arcane Talisman (350 mana, 40 AP, and 5 mana regen/5)

Arcane Talisman + Sapphire Cyrstal + Sapphire Crystal = Wisdom of the Hydrosoul *look up cancelled champs* (900 mana, 45 AP, 5 mana regen/5)

Arcane Talisman + Glacial Shroud = Freljord's Curse (825 mana, 40 mana, 5 mana regen/5, 50 armor)

Arcane Talisman + TotG = Force of the Tides (850 mana, 50 AP, 15 mana regen/5, the mana addition, and gives you 5% spell vamp for each 1000 mana you have, which normally ends up being around 4k-5k)

Just some non-tanky ap items. I know Freljord's Curse has armor, but its not a huge amount, and i just want a 2nd option for glacial shroud.