[Champion Concept] Ella, The Hextech Synthesizer

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chrisluissanc

08-12-2012

i like this idea but i have a problem with a spell sheild thay not only reflects and amplifies damage but also has a slow and sileince. she gets alot of "free" cc though some of it may be less acsessible. other then that she is amazing

Gradunk

08-19-2012

like the passive. works with the champ. the q is good but damage might be a bit high.

how long/ how many spells does whirlwind reflect?

The E dps; i know it does that much damage per second, but some people will probably read that as 60 (+.4 ap) total AFTER the five seconds.

19 seconds of cc immunity? more people would use that to escape then for damage. since it lasts so long maybe cc resistance is ok, but i wouldn't make it more than 50%. also the ult doesn't have a scale. is it not supposed to? this has the potential so silence an enemy for 19 seconds straight. maybe reduce that a bit so it's not too op. the knockback is ok, but i think it would be more grievous to the person playing ella.

another good unique champ. i think there's a bit of reworking to be done just so the player isn't annoyed by playing her, but has lots of great opportunities.

Wulffe

08-27-2012

Sorry for the delay. But here we go!

I didn't touch the damage done by Q this time around. It's actually on par in comparison with some of the other AP champs around. So I'm not sure what could be done to it as I feel that if I lowered it, it'd have to be raised again later on.

Well, not to sound rude or mean...but it does say OVER....not AFTER. xP

Alrighty. Here's what I did with the ult. In contrast I didn't really do anything with it. I only added a spell effect which gives enemies struck by Dervish a 3 second buff which makes it to where they will not be affected again until it expires. The ability is not supposed to be a heavy damage move. It's mostly to help set up the player's team to push fleeing enemies back towards the group or to push enemies back when needing to flee. I also made it to where Ella can cancel the ability early to produce a shockwave that knocks everyone back.

Thanks for the review!

@Chris: I tweaked that somewhat and limited the abilities it reflects. Also Whrilwind only affects spells cast at her when she's facing the opponent. She can be shot from the back/sides when the ability is up and they not be affected by Whirlwind.

Gentleman Gannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

On CC in general:
You have so much of this and it needs to be toned down. Even if the duration of the knockbacks is only a second, Ella can easily chain together R-->Q-->R-->E-->R and basically stun-juggle someone for 7+ seconds while they sit and stare at their screen. This is not fun. Give her one (maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe two) CC abilities and playing with/around them will feel much better for both players. In her current state, she is outright stronger than every other champion in the game without exception. There is no character with whom I would feel comfortable playing against a reasonably competent Ella.

On her Passive:
Make this reset upon empowered cast (or something of the like). 5 instances of damage is extremely easy to stack and doesn't require Ella to make many real choices.

On her Q:
I don't know what your intended AP ratio is for this ability, but it currently has a base damage of 520 at level 5. That's sort of a big number -- for some perspective, Riven's semi-analagous Broken Wings attack has a base damage of 390 and is considered to be one of the game's more damaging basic abilities. It's not a terribly huge issue, though -- numbers are easy to fiddle with.

On her W:
This has three separate issues that I'd like to address:
A. It lasts 3 seconds at max rank. That's 3 seconds of invulnerability against any mage she's directly facing -- who exactly beats Ella in mid lane?
B. It involves unit facing. This is inherently glitchy and makes it hard to tell when the ability should and should not be working. Because of this, *very* few abilities in League of Legends use unit facing to determine their effects.
C. It modifies projectiles. This is not inherently bad, but it would require the re-coding of all of the game's current and future projectiles to match the new system.

If it only deflected a single projectile, my only complaint would be that it would be horrendous to code.

On her E:
Solid ability -- Instant damage into brief DoT is perfectly acceptable. I sincerely hope that that 0.4 in your scaling ratio is the full 5 seconds, because if it's not then this ability has a preposterous scaling ratio of over 2.0 and is drastically overpowered.

On her R:
Repeated knock-back aside, 19 seconds of CC immunity is too much. In fact, 19 seconds of something in general is too much. Think of it this way: your ultimate is your "moment". It's the split-second that defines you -- and the characters with the most satisfying ultimates have just one brief moment that they shine in. Choosing when that moment happens separates the good players from the great. At present, Ella doesn't *get* a "moment" because her ultimate lasts so long. It can't simultaneously be balanced, feel like it has impact, and last that long because the impact has to be spread so thin. I would tighten it up so that you can put more into those seconds that it *is* active.

I look forward to seeing how you evolve this character.

UndeadRabbit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

I love the champion.

Q: Triple Strike somewhat like Riven with the third strike repositioning for maximizing other spells.
W: Counter-Attack against other enemies.
E: Straight-up AoE damage with a nice lingering effect and possible CC.
R: Unique and sexy roll-out. lol Rammus ball on crack ending in Blitz ult. Very creative and with creativity and skill it could turn team fights very quickly.

As I said, I love the concept and would love to see this Yordle on the Fields of Justice.
Here's a link to my concept if you'd be so kind as to return the review: =D
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2515189

Wulffe

08-27-2012

@Gentleman Gannon:

Alrighty. To start I fixed a few things to better describe what they do or how they work. Ella can't use other abilities while Dervish is active. So that's all she had with no combinations attached to it. Max Capacitor was supposed to reset after use, I failed to mention that. as well as W being considered a channel.

I nerfed the damage on the first two blows and removed the AP scaling. so those are just flat damage but I kept the last hit the same and kept the scaling. I wanted the first to hits to be moderate, reasonable damage but have the third part be the devastator.

I tweaked W a lot. Removed or lowered the CC effects. I don't know anything about scripting or what have you, but the spells themselves wouldn't be redirected, just the damage. I would assume that doing that would be much, much easier. As Ella absorbs X damage and sends X+Y back to target. The aforementioned channeling is the obvious sign that she's going to absorb something. So a spinning blue vortex originating from her would probably be the indicator that it's working. :P

I feel I completely betrayed Ella by nerfing her ultimate so much.....but I redid it a bit. I kept a few things the same like the damage and the capacitor effect but cut the time down and some of the effects.

@Rabbit:

Thank you! I was thinking along those lines myself. Like Gannon said, a reasonably competent Ella could easily turn the tide if she knows what she's doing. I'll check your champion on when I get the chance. :]

Gentleman Gannon

08-28-2012

Passive:
This is solid now -- I'd like to know how much she gets on her resists. Here's what I think, though. Ella has a lot of cool tricks that she can pull with her passive, but she herself can't stack it. It's hard for her to make rewarding plays because if the enemy team just completely ignores her she can't empower any of her abilities.

Q:
The stun on this is too long for its cooldown. Right now it has a 33% uptime, which is too much. I'm not sure that you have to take off the scaling ratio, but you could backload it so that all the power is in the third hit. That's really a stylistic choice.

W:
So, what if this? While channeling, you block incoming damage from a certain facing (say, 150 or 180 degrees). When you finish channeling, Ella fires a conical wave from her whips. The wave deals flat damage, plus the absorbed damage up to a cap (which would then scale with AP). This gives your opponent some counterplay options while still keeping the feel of the skill.

E:
What does 2% more mean? 2% of their maximum health? This could use clarification.

R:
You don't have to gut the ability -- what I was trying to get across is that if you want Ella's ultimate to feel... well, ultimate, it needs to have a definite moment that is "Ella's Ultimate" instead of just being "Ella". How do I put it? Think of it this way -- have you ever played Singed? Singed's ultimate is very strong -- it gives him over 4000 gold worth of stats for an extended duration. Using it, however, is not particularly satisfying -- it's just sort of "always on".

So, here's my suggestion to make her passive and ultimate feel good. Feel free to ignore me entirely -- I'm just spitballing here.

Retool the passive so that she can get stacks herself somehow -- trust me when I say that this will make her combat flow much more smoothly. Let her cast during her ultimate, and have it empower her abilities in some way -- maybe it stacks her up over time. This way you can keep the ultimate at a good duration and have the speed boost and the damage, but also get a way to make it important that your ult is on without creating an infinite CC machine.

The last thing is to take her CC down a notch -- I still think she has too much for satisfying champ-to-champ interaction. If you make the CC less consistent and more bursty, she will be more fun to play both with and against.

Wulffe

08-29-2012

Okay. I kept trying to figure out what you meant by she can't stack her passive herself. I was like 'She can attack to get it...' then I looked over the passive again and saw the error. That wasn't on there. So I added it in the tooltip and increased the stacks to 8. I did this because in combat she'll easily be able to build up stacks quickly as she attacks and is attacked.

The issue with CC. The only consistent CC she has is the slow in her E. Which has a decent cooldown and only effects those that walk directly into it. The others only happen with Capacitor effects, so once every 8 stacks. Then the summoner would have to choice which one they want to use. Stun, silence or slow.

I'm glad you're doing this, it's helping me to reword this better and as I intended it to be. The third strike was the only stunner. Not all three strikes.

I did exactly that! But I changed it to where it'd be more of a burst. She'll be unloading the damage in an area in front of her.

For the ultimate I didn't really gut it, just cut the duration down a bit. Using abilities wouldn't make much sense if she's using both of her whips to power the ultimate. I didn't touch it as it's more or less where it really should be. Though with its nerf the cooldown might be dropped a bit in the future.

Again, thank you and let me know what you think!

Gentleman Gannon

08-29-2012

All right. Here's what my current thoughts are:

You can stack your passive in 4-6 seconds with some decent attack speed (assuming it's auto-attacks only and not abilities -- otherwise it's more like 2-3). Your abilities all have reasonably short cooldowns and CC effects with max capacity. Here's my impression of what dueling Ella would be like:

(With charged capacitor)
Q-Q-Q [2-second stun]
Auto-attack x 8 [~4 seconds total]
E [1-second Knockback]
Auto-attack x 8 [~4 seconds total]
Q-Q-Q [2-second stun]
Rinse, repeat.

You may want to shorten the stun on Whiplash's third hit. Right now, I'm not sure if there's much justification for building Ella anything but CDR/AS, and I imagine that she would be incredibly frustrating to play against.

Then there's the ultimate. At level 16, this is a silence with an 87.5% uptime, and it also repositions and does true damage to boot. I'm worried that people playing against this attack will feel totally helpless, since it makes Ella almost untouchable for 10 seconds.

What if (again just spitballing) her ultimate gave her several dashes with a brief cooldown between them (a bit Ahri, but less power per dash and more dashes -- 5, perhaps?) and then had the dashes push enemies that she hits to the side and briefly (NOT 1.75 seconds -- you actually only need about a half second on this) silenced them? You may not think that this captures the essence of Ella, so do what you want with it -- but definitely the silence is too long. That's more of a DotA-length stun.

fefddfef

08-29-2012

Quote:
Q:
Name: Whiplash
Effect: Ella swings her first whip in an arch in front of her doing 50/75/100/125/150 magic damage to each target struck, using Whiplash again will have her swing the second whip to do the same damage, using it again causes Ella to roll forward, spinning the whips and doing 90/115/140/165/190 (+AP) magic damage. With max capacitor, Whiplash’s third strike also stuns a target champion for 2 seconds.
Passive: Permanently increases magic penetration by 15%.
Animation: Swings the first whip in an arch in front of her, then does it again before performing a Kratos-esque roll and strike in front of her. The whips crackle with electricity.
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10
Cost: 60/75/90/105/120
Range: 450/550 on third use.
She hits three times in AOE so level one she would do 50 + 50 + 90 (190 IN AOE) + stun + gap closer. This isn't even including AP and her passive Mpen. It's a very cool spell but it just does too much. 190 is already nearly half of most champions base HP at level 1. Additionally 2 seconds is an extremely long stun time.

Quote:
W:
Name: Whirlwind
Effect: Ella rotates a whip in front of her, absorbing any incoming projectile abilities from the direction she’s facing. Enemies caught in the vortex take 60/70/80/90/100 (+.4 AP) per second and suffer a 5% slow. 3 second channel. After channeling Ella unleashes the absorbed damage. With max capacitor, targets directly hit by the spell will be silenced for 2 seconds. 3 second channel.
Animation: Ella twists a whip in front of her forming an ice tornado. If damage is absorbed she pulls her whip back quickly causing a burst similar to Jayce’s Mercury Cannon Q.
Cooldown: 22/20/18/16/14
Cost: 80/90/100/110/120
Range: 0, self to absorb. 350 on the cone, 450 on the diameter of the absorbed damage explosion.
The damage numbers for this spell seem ok, would have to see in game. However the slow is pretty much useless at 5%. I also think the 3 second channel is too long for such a basic spell.

Quote:
E:
Name: Fiery Wave
Effect: Ella ignites her whips and spins around. All enemies around her take 50/80/110/140 (+AP) physical damage and an additional 20/30/40/50/60 (+.4 AP) magic damage over five seconds. With max capacitor, targets are knocked back and bleed for 10% of her ability power.
Animation: The whips burst into flames as she swings them horizontally at the target.
Cooldown: 20/19/18/17/16
Cost: 40/60/80//100/120
Range: 380 radius, 200 knock back.
Why does she suddenly deal physical damage on this spell? It just doesn't ride with her theme or lore.
Ok I wasn't going to say this before but why do all her spells have some sort of CC with them. Stun Slow Silence Knock back x2. It's just way too much of a CC arsenal for one champion. Leona has 3 spells with CC but they are all stuns/slows. Your champion has a stun, slow/silence, knockback, knockback/silence.

Quote:
R:
Name: Dervish
Effect: Ella spins her whips on either side of her. She does 50/100/150 (+AP) true damage per strike, is immune to crowd control effects and gains increasing movement speed. Enemies struck suffer a knock back and is also silenced for 1/1.25/1.75 seconds. Enemies struck will gain a 2 second buff that prevents them from being effected by Dervish. Lasts 6/8/10 seconds. If used with max capacitor, the ability goes for an additional 2 seconds. If Dervish is canceled early, it produces a shockwave that can push enemies back. Ella cannot use other abilities while Dervish is active.
Animation: The whips spin on either side of her, forming two halves of a sphere. If canceled the effect mimic’s Blitz’s burst ability.
Cooldown: 120/100/60
Cost: 150
Range: 0, sphere effect is 250. Cancellation knock back is 500.
So how many times can the enemy be hit before gaining the buff? Her CC immunity + CC + true damage just makes this spell completely and ridiculously OP. The fact that it does true damage already makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Overall I like the idea, but some of the concepts need tweaking and she doesn't need THAT much CC.

Also please check out my Champion Lady Pauline, The Fractured Mind
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post28765555

123456 ... 8