Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Soloing as Kassadin. How do I deal with this?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

09-05-2010

So, I just quit (as in, left the game, not finished, and if you know me, you know I very rarely leave games, even if they're practice games) probably the most frustrating practice game I've ever been in (and, I'm not even kidding, it was about 10 minutes of pure frustration.)

I wanted to practice Kassadin, and hit up a practice game, but our team comp was Kass, Warwick, Amumu, Malphite (played by what I'm assuming is a new player, as he did a straight tower dive before creeps even spawned), and Sion. Warwick wanted to jungle, and they suggested I go mid. I refused, knowing that Kass is EXTREMELY tough to solo with early on. The response to this? Let me solo top lane instead (so 2v1. Sheesh) against a Xin Zhao and a Soraka while Sion took mid. Absolutely nightmarish situation.

Now, I said this wasn't going to end well, and of course, it didn't. My tower was down to 50% by 8 minutes. The worst part is I didn't want the Amumu to abandon the newb malph on bot, and obviously, newb malph wouldn't help. Basically, the team comp was nightmarish given the situation. Warwick attempted to help me out after Xin Zhao and Soraka, I **** you not, abandoned their lane for 3 minutes, and we managed to get 3 hits between the two of us on the tower only to get ganked by a gangplank (I was low health, so I guess I was asking for it, pushing on an empty lane, and WW took a tower hit as we walked into GP.)

At that point, I gave up. I wasn't going to make any progress on improving my playstyle with a comp that was doomed from the start, being forced to hug my tower while XZ and Soraka wittled down my health with me having no means of harrassing back because Soraka would just heal whatever damage my void sphere could harrass on her.

But that's not what this is all about. What I experienced just now was the WORST OF THE WORST OF WORST CASE SCENARIOS with Kass. That was doomed, but the chief problem I had was my lack of confidence in Kassadin's solo ability.

Now, speaking out to other Kass players who are more experienced than I am, I ask, it may not happen often, but when it does, what is the best way to handle a situation in which Kassadin MUST solo his lane. I did my usual build of starting with RoA (I got the mana sapphire and that was it. No way I could even hope to farm while being pinned against my tower), but is there's a good alternative for better lane presence? General tips? If my team tries to force me into solo lane for early game, should I just give up and be done with it?

I'm all ears...er...eyes.

larkhill

09-05-2010

when i have to solo as kass, i usually dont harass at all. its not worth it and u wont be killing anyone anyway. use ur mana for creeps. they wont attack ur tower as much if they dont have creeps to protect them. and if they get close to u at ur tower, just silence them and run around ur tower and hope they overextend and die.

focus on killing the creep waves quickly. the less tiem the creeps are at ur tower, eventually you'll have a bit of ap and the lvl advantage should allow u to be a little riskier.

Noveson

09-05-2010

Kass tough to solo with? Not at all. First of all if you know you are solo-ing(I do almost every game, you should want to solo) grab a Doran's Ring and HP pot instead of Sapphire Crystal. It will help. Secondly why are you trying to whittle down their health in the first place? You are a burst caster.

First few levels, level Void Sphere, get one in Nether Blade so you can get mana back, and last hit. They will push to tower, it is easy to last hit there, and when you are off the tower try to steal them with last hit. As soon as you hit six you can jump on one, blow your combo, and get out. Do this maybe twice and that person has to back. Then you can kill the other one. Kass with a level advantage is a terrifying beast.

peyo

09-06-2010

@above, sure that works, the only problem is when you're facing such a combination.. Kassadin can't do much against good DPS and a healer.

you should take mid, where Kassadin is a beast. I've never lost a mid with Kass yet.

start with Doran's SHIELD, it provides much more laining power, than Ring and much much more than Crystal.

ManiacChicken

09-06-2010

I usually solo mid if I have to with Kass. I still grab a health pot and sapphire crystal. Depending on who you go up against, you'll need to pick your last hits. Manage your mana and let the other player push if needed. At level 3 is when i usually start harassing with Q. You can also last hit with Q to get the last few gold pieces needed for an item. Key is mana management, know what the other char does, and don't over extend.

Sometimes at level 6, both you and your opponent haven't ported back to base yet. You should have them to about 35 - 50% life. That's when you save up enough for a Q,E and R. Rift, burst and ignite should get you a kill.

Ebonclaw

09-06-2010

Solo mid. WTF is wrong with you? ALWAYS SOLO MID AS KASS.

Let me clarify for you - All of Kassadin's early game woes are brought into play by having nearby brush for enemies to play in, facing multiple foes at once, and getting slow experience and little farm. These are problems you face in a side lane.

Let me further clarify, for Kass: Solo Mid > Duo Side > 1v2 Side

You will have a hard enough time managing to not die in 2v2, 1v2 is just suicide, might as well send Eve up there by herself.

Kassadin is a monster 1v1, starting at level 3, if you have rank 2 Null Sphere. You need a lot of mana regen, whether from runes, items, or Nether Blade. You need to spam your Sphere relentlessly at your opponent. You need some Magic Pen Marks. You need to watch their HP drop so fast, that by level 4 they are willing to let you zone them out, so you can free farm your minions.

IF you do NOT do these things, you WILL FAIL as Kass. Period. Dot dot period.

Zuthuzu

Recruiter

09-06-2010

Guys like teemo, ashe, maybe cockmaw - they bend to kas on mid no prob. I've yet to find a way to do something vs mordekaiser, though. He always manages to siphon the creepwave before my balls his face, so silence doesn't help, he already got full shield up and can farm. This goes on to no good end. What do?

IntFam

09-06-2010

Quote:
Oveson:
You are a burst caster.

Like I said, I'm still fairly new to Kass and I'm still getting a feel for him. I mained two caster characters and a Kat in the past, so I'm used to persistent harrassment, which Kass isn't nearly as proficient with, being his harrass is single target only. I'm learning to restrain myself a bit more in early laning with him. It's a unique experience playing him, I gotta say.

Quote:
peyo:
@above, sure that works, the only problem is when you're facing such a combination.. Kassadin can't do much against good DPS and a healer.

Pff. No one, but NO ONE could hope to solo against that combo effectively. I was just asking for solo'ing tips and sharing a story about the most stressful laning situation I've ever been in :P

FortuitusFortune

Master Recruiter

09-06-2010

Level null sphere for mid, level force pulse for side lanes.

Harass accordingly.

Gigg

09-06-2010

Quote:
peyo:

you should take mid, where Kassadin is a beast. I've never lost a mid with Kass yet.

start with Doran's SHIELD, it provides much more laining power, than Ring and much much more than Crystal.

pick up health regen mastery in def tree to have a clean solo mid. With a crystal. I don't losse mid with Kass often. What can totally break you down is a good trist, good sivir, janna, good annie. Still have 100% win with Kass in premade ranked. ; )
Ez can be a pain too, but ignite will kill him hehe.