Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] AP Poppy -- AKA "The fine art of carbonizing Ashe"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lokan

11-14-2010

Whoever mentioned Nashor's Tooth: That's a really interesting idea to get after DFG, actually. 15% CDR from DFG, 25% from Tooth puts you right on top of the CDR cap. You could then build into some sort of Hybrid Poppy (likely Infinity Edge next item) that isn't hard countered by magic resist- the 50% IAS from Tooth is nothing to sneeze at and synergizes extremely well with Paragon.

Holy jesus, it gives AP and mana regen too? I have to try this.

Dunkelzahn

11-14-2010

Alright, I'll bite. I'll give Doran's Shield + DFG rush a go when I get my new video card sometime this week (I'm looking at you, UPS).

Lokan

11-14-2010

Quote:
Dunkelzahn:
Alright, I'll bite. I'll give Doran's Shield + DFG rush a go when I get my new video card sometime this week (I'm looking at you, UPS).

^___________________________^

Add me as a friend online whenever you do (IGN is the same obviously), I'd be interested to see your experience and possibly together find another, superior build.

Now I also want to try this item order, but need to finish my essay first

Doran's/HP Pot -> Boots of Speed -> DFG -> Boots of Swiftness (!) -> Nashor's Tooth -> Youmuu's -> Infinity Edge

foshokku

11-16-2010

So!

The recent patch had some buffs on Hextech weaponry:

"Hextech Revolver spell vamp increased to 15% from 10%
Hextech Gunblade spell vamp increased to 20% from 13%
Hextech Gunblade life steal increased to 20% from 15%"

I wonder if it makes it viable for AP Poppy, especially with the new Hexdrinker. The active from Hextech could clean the path from Hexdrinker's shield after all.

Lokan

11-16-2010

It might be servicable for hybrid poppy. Will take research~

foshokku

11-16-2010

Or maybe for all kinds of Poppys. DB escalates from both AD and AP, so it might work out.

Actually, I wonder if she could work with a build like many Kayles I've seen: Guinsoo, Nashor's Tooth, Malady, Boots and Lichbane/Sheen.

foshokku

11-27-2010

So, I've been doing some Poppage lately, and trying some suggestions made here.

First, I want to address to the Doran's Shield suggestion. It's a kind of double-edged. It works great when the enemy team has a huge composition of harassers (say, 5 ranged/nukers), but you'll run out of mana extremely fast, even with mana regen runes. You won't be able to spam your skills until you get your DFG.
Other than that, it's a solid choice. It's mostly up to the team you're fighting against, or your lane partner. If you feel you'll be fighting a lot, go for Doran's Ring.

Now, onto the next items. I've really found Lichbane to be a staple for Poppy. After your Sheen, the other components sum up to roughly the same as the Void Staff, so you could go either way, but I highly recommend the Lichbane. The movement speed works wonders for Poppy, as mobility is king with her. Since you'll be stacking AP, getting your bonus from it rather than the BD from Sheen is a huge difference.

Then, I've been wondering if I should go Gunblade or Nashor's Tooth. I honestly could never finish a Gunblade, 'cause Poppy can only farm champions, not minions. I, however, did a couple of games with Nashor's, and holy cow, that is an amazing item for her. With the CDR, you'll easily sit at 40% reduction. With the atk speed bonus and your Paragon's active, you'll hit for 1.3 p/s with no problems. Also, the AP bonus will leave you at around 200 AP (or more, I don't remember exactly), which also benefits your DFG. Usually most games will end after you get your Nashor's.

Of course, this brings up the survivability issue, but I guess it's up to your playstyle. I think Poppy is meant to come in, melt someone and then run away as fast as possible, leaving the enemy team shocked. Building a Banshee's or a Thornmail may take away that last bit of dmg you'd need to finish that champion on time. For me, killing them faster works more for my survivability rather than taking more hits.

With 21 in utility, boots 2, Lichbane and Paragon active, you'll be running at around 500 movespeed. That's enought to come in their base, melt their Heimer in two shots and run away alive (true story).

Destabilizator

Recruiter

11-27-2010

Rushing Lichbane is not good, especially with your silly farming. DFG > Nashor's, with runes, 30% CDR.

foshokku

11-29-2010

But I'm not rushing. I get Sheen first, DFG second and boots 2 third. Only then I get Lichbane, and Nashor's after that. By that time, Poppy has around 200 AP, 40% CDR, 1.3 aspd and around 440 move speed, more or less.

Dunkelzahn

12-11-2010

o e o

shameless bump for the community.