Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] AP Poppy -- AKA "The fine art of carbonizing Ashe"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dobz

10-23-2010

Quote:
LolCatIsLol:
Number penetrations take place first, so if you have 50% MPen and 30 Mpen, a 60 MR target will get (60-30)*50% = 15 MR's worth of resistance.

BTW yes AP Poppy is sick, a beautiful counter to any twitch/MF/Ashe out there. Squishy mages too. I play her as a counterpick @ ~1600 Elo, works very well still

Just to add onto LolCat, reduction comes before penetration (flat followed by %) and penetration can not lower Resist below 0 but reduction can.

Dunkelzahn

10-23-2010

Quote:
Yozansen:
how do u farm with this build? its horribad.

With Q. Poppy's a terrible farmer as it is and going Tri-Force/Bloodrazor/AP Poppy isn't going to change anything. Even with terrible CS, you'll usually get Sheen+DFG+Boots1 at around 15 (if you're doing really well) to 25 (if you're doing really bad) minutes.

Dunkelzahn

10-23-2010

Bumped and updated that part of the guide. Thanks LolCatLol and Dobz for the info!

Schnazberries

10-23-2010

Couldn't have said it better myself. That is exactly how I build poppy and I have great success with it. What sucks with poppy is that is you die at all early game, it's a ***** to catch back up to everyone else with farming and leveling. I always stand around and last hit minions, that's the only thing you can do.

ANYWAY, fellow poppy players, if you're in the enemy base and there's kog'maw on the other team who just so happened to respawn and you have your ult? Go squash his ass in his base, cause when he dies, your ult is still active til he blows up. Giving you time to get out with no damage dealt. I did this one, it was the most saddest, dirtiest, and funniest thing I've ever done in game.

Dunkelzahn

10-27-2010

Quote:
Schnazberries:
Couldn't have said it better myself. That is exactly how I build poppy and I have great success with it. What sucks with poppy is that is you die at all early game, it's a ***** to catch back up to everyone else with farming and leveling. I always stand around and last hit minions, that's the only thing you can do.

So true. In high Elo games you'll probably get the **** harassed out of you and your bad farming compounds that problem. Akali and Kassadin might have the edge on Poppy in this regard, but neither of them have Diplomatic Immunity. B)

Quote:
ANYWAY, fellow poppy players, if you're in the enemy base and there's kog'maw on the other team who just so happened to respawn and you have your ult? Go squash his ass in his base, cause when he dies, your ult is still active til he blows up. Giving you time to get out with no damage dealt. I did this one, it was the most saddest, dirtiest, and funniest thing I've ever done in game.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work anymore. At least it doesn't work on Karthus. It happened to me in a game earlier; I ulted Karthus and blew him to pieces in a second or two and my ult came off right when he died. Didn't help that I was next to a tower. ;[

Maybe it still works on Kog'Maw, I dunno.

Dunkelzahn

10-29-2010

Updated with a new chapter and some polishing. It's broken the 30,000 character limit (mostly because I am a wordy son of a ***** and I like updating this guide) so I'll just add new stuff in separate posts.

Lorifel

Recruiter

10-29-2010

First of all: thank you for a great guide and my apologies for a n00b question: have you ever tried Wriggle's Lantern on Poppy? You see, when I've tried her I have run into several problems:

• I am harassed like no tomorrow
  • my farming abilities are non-existent
  • I run out of mana too easily
Wouldn't getting Lantern before your core items help?
I've tried to jungle as Poppy. She kills BIG monsters pretty fast with her Devastating Blow, but without lifesteal she just burns too many red pots while jungling...

Dunkelzahn

10-29-2010

Quote:
Lorifel:
First of all: thank you for a great guide and my apologies for a n00b question: have you ever tried Wriggle's Lantern on Poppy? You see, when I've tried her I have run into several problems:
  • I am harassed like no tomorrow
  • my farming abilities are non-existent
  • I run out of mana too easily
Wouldn't getting Lantern before your core items help?

Probably not. Wriggle's doesn't offer any stats that you can use later on, and even with its proc, farming is still a pain and it delays your biggest item, Deathfire Grasp. It's just a problem with the character, in that she's the worst farmer in the game besides Shen. The ward's nice though.

For the first bullet point, it's a thing that comes with being a melee character. Remember that soloing with Poppy is generally a really bad idea, so if you have a lanemate that can harass well, try to harass them back. A stun + Charging into a wall + Devastating Blow hurts a fair bit and will generally tell said enemy that you are not to be screwed with.

For the second one, it's as I said: Poppy's a terrible farmer. If you're past level 7 or 8 or so and you don't have a jungler or if he's stopped killing jungle creeps, just dip into the jungle and farm it a bit. You won't get huge amounts of creep kills like a Nasus or Ashe or something, but you also need only seven thousand gold over the course of the game to be useful, which is a pretty reasonable amount of money. Most of your money will come from kills or assists, though. Even at level 8 with a Sheen and maybe 60-70 AP, you can still hammer their Twitch for a good amount of his health with Diplomatic Immunity on him, so make it a point to help out in team fights. That assist/kill money will add up pretty quick!

Quote:
I've tried to jungle as Poppy. She kills BIG monsters pretty fast with her Devastating Blow, but without lifesteal she just burns too many red pots while jungling...

I'm booting up a practice game as I type this to try out jungle Poppy. Let's see how this works!

Dunkelzahn

10-29-2010

So jungle Poppy sort of works. I guess. You run out of health potions before Lizard and you'll need Smite to kill the big wraith. Not quite as good as Udyr or Rammus or Warwick or Olaf, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Like going for Ancient Golem at level 1. I'll try another route later.

Also, I can't stress enough how awesome chase/hunting music makes you play Poppy better. My new music of choice is one of the tracks from Just Cause 2's soundtrack, the one that plays during race challenges/timed missions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAA_UTwuKD8 It's fantastic.

Dunkelzahn

10-31-2010

bump because i'm a shameless wh0re.