Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] AP Poppy -- AKA "The fine art of carbonizing Ashe"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Destabilizator

Recruiter

10-06-2010

Quote:
Dunkelzahn:
Probably, because the damage reduction from Valiant Fighter is just straight up "damage is reduced", not "physical or magic damage" (Ignite ignores MR so hey).

I feel like it does reduce Ignite and Reckless Swing, but it doesn't reduce Feast :>

biomorph

10-06-2010

Nice guide but may I suggest that you alter your subtitle a bit?
Carbonizing Ashe with Poppy is setting the bar pretty low of what you can do with Poppy ... Anyone who can get close to her is able to do that*
Poppy can easily carbonize far more troublesome champions than her.

*No disrespect for Ashe as she is indeed a good champion for the right team. But boy is she squishy =P

FlowyS

10-06-2010

Well to a person that mains Ashe, I consider this thread an insult!

Poor Ashe

Xplody

10-12-2010

Genius! Suh my hat is off to you. made me fall in love with a new character =)

Dunkelzahn

10-22-2010

Quote:
biomorph:
Nice guide but may I suggest that you alter your subtitle a bit?
Carbonizing Ashe with Poppy is setting the bar pretty low of what you can do with Poppy ... Anyone who can get close to her is able to do that*
Poppy can easily carbonize far more troublesome champions than her.

*No disrespect for Ashe as she is indeed a good champion for the right team. But boy is she squishy =P

I dunno man, a good Ashe is just infuriating to fight against. And I think Ashe is the poster boy (well, girl) for really squishy yet really dangerous champions, so it'd be a lot more recognizable. And she's probably the most popular champion in the game.

Also, to clear up some questions and offer some other insight:

-- Valiant Fighter DOES NOT affect Ignite (it's classified as True Damage in death recaps), Reckless Swing or Feast (once again, True Damage). It does affect everything else though! I tried to Buster Shot an enemy Poppy as Tristana to kill her and Valiant Fighter saved her life. It's nearly impossible to be killed by Demacian Justice since it'll do diddly squat damage. It's really a good passive, just not a really amazing passive like some of the other champions have. Don't knock it. I used to. ;[

-- With magic pen reds, sorcerer's shoes and the 15% magic penetration mastery, you'll be able to do true damage with your spells + Deathfire Grasp to most champions (especially carries who don't get magic resist at 20-25 minutes which is when you'll have Deathfire Grasp + Sorc Shoes while they're farming up their Infinity Edges and the like).

-- In the stat sheet, Void Staff + the 15% magic penetration mastery won't stack all the way. You'll have 49% magic penetration according to the stat sheet, which means that with runes, the mastery, Sorceror's Shoes and Void Staff, you will do true damage to anybody with less than about 58 - 62 MR. With Abyssal Scepter (if you need it), you'll be able to do true damage to anybody with less than 100 MR. So if that Ashe gets Mercury's + Banshees, if you have an Abyssal Scepter, Void Staff, Sorcerer's Shoes and the right runes + the mastery, you'll still absolutely liquefy her.
(Note: The above math may be wrong, because I don't know which penetration comes in first. All of the above assumes that your Void Staff+Magic Pen mastery comes in first and then your Sorc Shoes and the like.)

-- From my experience, you only need about 250 AP to really put the hurt on people. Doran's Ring (10 AP), Sheen (25 AP), Archmage's Savvy (10.8 AP), Deathfire Grasp (60 AP), Void Staff (70 AP), and Abyssal Scepter will give you 245 AP at level 18. Most of your hurt comes from Deathfire Grasp, which, assuming you have this much AP and the enemy's MR is 0, will do about 52% of their max health (assuming you use it first). If you sell your Doran's Ring, replace that last slot with a Banshees Veil (or a Thornmail if they have someone like Yi or Tryndamere running about). The BV will negate any form of CC that your target throws at you, allowing you even more time. Plus, survivability is just good. Your Abyssal Scepter will give you a decent amount of MR but since you don't need any more damage after that, even MORE survivability is great.

I'll put these in the actual guide when I get back from class.

Dunkelzahn

10-22-2010

Updated the guide a bit.

sdfk;jsl

Threpe

10-22-2010

Thanks, I'll give her another try. I've been ... less than successful with AP Poppy, maybe more to do with team comp than anything. Had some luck "carbonizing" Miss Fortune at least once.

LolCatIsLol

10-22-2010

Number penetrations take place first, so if you have 50% MPen and 30 Mpen, a 60 MR target will get (60-30)*50% = 15 MR's worth of resistance.

BTW yes AP Poppy is sick, a beautiful counter to any twitch/MF/Ashe out there. Squishy mages too. I play her as a counterpick @ ~1600 Elo, works very well still

Yozansen

10-22-2010

how do u farm with this build? its horribad.

LolCatIsLol

10-23-2010

Quote:
Yozansen:
how do u farm with this build? its horribad.

With mana regen runes and mana regen mastery, you can use Q to last hit minions. Of course, you won't be able to farm much anyway, but most of your gold comes off champ kills after you get your DFG.