Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] AP Poppy -- AKA "The fine art of carbonizing Ashe"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

a cat is fine to

09-28-2010

Problem with AP build is your not going to do much of anything before making deathfire grasp. Boots and DFG costs a considerable amount of gold and with extra crappy farming sometimes it is too late to make a difference. A banshee's veil will also give you a tough time.

Demonite10

09-28-2010

Quote:
a cat is fine to:
Problem with AP build is your not going to do much of anything before making deathfire grasp. Boots and DFG costs a considerable amount of gold and with extra crappy farming sometimes it is too late to make a difference. A banshee's veil will also give you a tough time.

I played a game earlier tonight with AP Poppy, and I did not find this to be the case. I forget who my partner was, but we laned against Sona and Garen. I managed to kill both of them by the time I hit level 6...both of them severely underestimated my charge ability. By level 12 I had the sorc boots, sheen and DFG.

Although, in all honesty, I have played games as AP Poppy where my opponents were more conservative and it took a bit longer to get my gear. In the end though, unless your team has fed the Kog'maw/Anivia/Tryndamere, games will be long enough for an AP Poppy to go out and carbonize Ashe/Sona/Teemo ect ect.

Dunkelzahn

09-29-2010

Quote:
Romai:
ive been using this build for a couple of games, was considering writting my own guide but i cant match your wit, sire.

Well, thank you! As I said, I tried to make the guide entertaining so they'd keep reading. Hopefully it didn't come at the expense of getting my point across.

Quote:
though ive been rushing deathfire, and getting a ruby crystal between that and sheen. the extra health increases your damage, and there are plenty of different items you can make using it.

considering this build lacks +health, you might want to always carry that fortitute elixir with you.

I've not been a big fan of elixirs (except for those 60 minute games when you're stacked to hell and need that extra boost) but I may try it out on this advice.

Quote:
the burst build is quite effective. i was able to single handedly murder a godlike akali with over 2.5k health with a deathfire, half a sheen and my incredible handsomeness.

You had me at "I murdered an Akali".

Quote:
a cat is fine to:

Well, not every game will go well. You could replace your paragraph with "Problem with x build is that you're not going to do much of anything before making y item.". Apply it to a carry, tank (well not so much), etc.

But you do make good points. Until you get DFG, you're not that dangerous.
But then you get it and soon that Ashe is cussing you out in all-chat because you annihilate her every team fight.

Quote:
Aroyok:
I played a game earlier tonight with AP Poppy, and I did not find this to be the case. I forget who my partner was, but we laned against Sona and Garen. I managed to kill both of them by the time I hit level 6...both of them severely underestimated my charge ability. By level 12 I had the sorc boots, sheen and DFG.

Although, in all honesty, I have played games as AP Poppy where my opponents were more conservative and it took a bit longer to get my gear. In the end though, unless your team has fed the Kog'maw/Anivia/Tryndamere, games will be long enough for an AP Poppy to go out and carbonize Ashe/Sona/Teemo ect ect.

A good early game will make you really dangerous, as it will with most any hero. Problem is that Poppy's early game isn't that great, at least compared to heroes like Sion, Taric, Pantheon, Morgana, etc. The more time you spend harassing, the less time you spend farming which I find to be pretty critical.

But if that Twisted Fate with 400 health and a vampiric scepter thinks it's funny to chuck 50 damage gold cards at you every time it's up, you could probably get away with farming him a bit. I'm not saying be cowardly with Poppy, I'm just saying that you can't harass with impunity like a Sion or Garen.

a cat is fine to

09-30-2010

I play poppy on TT mostly, I find her a lot more effective and tactical than on SR due to narrow lanes and walls. On TT, early game is very important, usually the first 5 kills decide the pace of the game. So I like to build hybrid poppy that rush Shen->Trinity. Good thing about the hybrid build is that you get a very good damage boost early via Shen and continue to improve as you make Trinity, whereas DFG doesn't do much of anything until its fully completed. Hybrid build is also a bit better for a quick tower push.

Destabilizator

Recruiter

09-30-2010

Quote:
a cat is fine to:
I play poppy on TT mostly, I find her a lot more effective and tactical than on SR due to narrow lanes and walls. On TT, early game is very important, usually the first 5 kills decide the pace of the game. So I like to build hybrid poppy that rush Shen->Trinity. Good thing about the hybrid build is that you get a very good damage boost early via Shen and continue to improve as you make Trinity, whereas DFG doesn't do much of anything until its fully completed. Hybrid build is also a bit better for a quick tower push.

Wow so you can build your own Shen with Poppy?

Funny typo, I laughed :]

Dunkelzahn

09-30-2010

Quote:
a cat is fine to:

As I said, there's nothing wrong with Tri-Force DPS Poppy. But most of what makes Poppy dangerous is that she can stick onto somebody and beat the **** out of them during her ult and the enemy team can't do anything about it. So to that end, going AP allows you to make the most out of your ult, I've found.

Plus, AP Poppy is just plain fun. When every team fight for their carry involves hoping to god that Poppy doesn't three shot them, you know you've got it made.

Destabilizator

Recruiter

10-02-2010

I've just bought Poppy and had some fun (was looking for new champ to play, I like stunners but none apart Pantheon fit my style) and I'd like to ask some questions (I couldn't test all I wanted):
Does BV stop Demolishing strike? I assume it stops your ult.
How does Rylai's work on Poppy? Doest demo strike slow?
From what I tested, you can't spell vamp from DFG, or am I blind?
Does her passive reduce Ignite, when you are very low on HP?
And my biggest question, how can you effectively judge charge distance? I've found out it's a little bit less than half width of lane, but that little bit usually screws me :/ Wish they had some double circle targetting reticule for it, which would show the slam distance.
Thank you in advance!

Dunkelzahn

10-06-2010

Well, I'm responding 4 days late (blame midterms) but I'll give this a go around anyway.

Quote:
Destabilizator:

Yeah, it will. I remember I had a game where I did pretty well but their Twitch got a Banshees and my team just wouldn't take it off during team fights, so it was either focus Sona and let Twitch kill us all (he was mad fed son) or try and kill Twitch and fail.

Quote:

It might. If not, your Charge will slow.

Quote:

I don't think so, because DFG isn't technically ability damage.

Quote:

Probably, because the damage reduction from Valiant Fighter is just straight up "damage is reduced", not "physical or magic damage" (Ignite ignores MR so hey).

You'd have to try it out, though.

Quote:
And my biggest question, how can you effectively judge charge distance? I've found out it's a little bit less than half width of lane, but that little bit usually screws me :/ Wish they had some double circle targetting reticule for it, which would show the slam distance.

Yeah, the distance at which you'll get the stun off I swear is a bit shorter than the circle tells you. Just practice with it and pray.

Shepe

10-06-2010

i love ap poppy, but found that with DFG you are very limitated to just kill the carry and then do like nothing xD...
i usually build sheen > sorc boots > abbysal scepter > rilay > lichbane
that way you not only kill their carry in secs but you can still be really usefull in the rest of the fight
just my 2 cents :P

Hozartis

10-06-2010

Quote:
Destabilizator:
I've just bought Poppy and had some fun (was looking for new champ to play, I like stunners but none apart Pantheon fit my style) and I'd like to ask some questions (I couldn't test all I wanted):
Thank you in advance!

BV does stop Devastating Blow and your ultimate.

Devastating Blow is magic damage, so Rylai's does work (ensure your target doesn't escape). Charge works as well.

Not certain about spell vamp and DFG. Unlikely though.

It might, but usually small damages will continue hurting you, where as high burst will not. Remember, her passive only reduces overflow damage.

Knowing the charge distance comes with practice. She's not really a 1350 champion.