Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Masteries Guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trickai

07-14-2012

I have looked through the list of guides in the guides section and haven't come across a guide just for masteries.

Does each character have its own build for masteries? Or is there just a couple of builds for say mage, melee and so on. I noticed that in a few builds there are references to a 9/0/21 build (which I found by luck), but was wondering if there is a set of general mastery builds that I can then apply depending on which character....like I said one for mage, melee, support and so on.

Any help would be appreciated. I am very new but have been reading through stuff voraciously and as I find things I bookmark them....but honestly I know I have a long way to go but this would really help me out a lot. Also the same question for runes. Are there general builds for character type for runes? If they are in the forums and I have just missed them a link would be a huge help and just the direction and aid that I am looking for.

BR33TO

07-14-2012

I, too would like one for non 30's. Basically a prioritize-er for someone to go off of as they rank up.

brashorc

07-14-2012

Okay, I will try my best to explain this topic. Forgive me if leave things murky as I haven't done any smurf accounts lately:
I will list the standards for each general catagory, and leave jungler for last. Jungler have very specific masteries that they must have and they differ for each champion.

AD carry:
Generally
21/0/9 taking all the attack damage masteries and taking movement speed, reduce death time and one in either extended buff or quicker recall or you can throw it back into offensive.
(also, skip lifesteal, unless you have runes that give additional life steal, 3% for 3 mastery points is a waste when you can get more armor pen or damage)

AP Carry:
two different ways to go here: Offensive or Utitlity
Offensive
21/0/9 with all the ap masteries and getting atleast extended buff duration.
Utility
9/0/21 with the mana, cooldown reduction, buff, all taken.
really depends on your playstyle and on the champion

Support:
0/1/29
Pretty much just take all the masteries in utility and pick up one point in either summoner spell in offensive or defensive. That depends on which summoner spell you take (heal or exhaust)

Top:
9/21/0
Either getting the physical damage in offensive if the champion deals mostly physical or the magical damage in offensive if the champion deals mostly magical. The exception is getting the 4% cooldown reduction, as some champion reallyneed that boost.
Pick up all the armor, magic resist, health, damage reduction masteries. The second to last tier is dependent on you: more gold or further reduction in damage that scales into late game.

Jungler:
Very, very dependent on the champion and the rune setup
The extremely standard build is 9/12/9, however this is very general and does not optimize the speed that you actually clear and runs into problems late game where the speciallization into a specific tree would pay off. Just post a jungler champion and I can give an idea of what masteries to use.

brashorc

07-14-2012

When starting out, I highly recommend getting mostly out of the defensive tree. This tree helps you overcome bad choices made. In other words, it is more forgiving then specing into offensive or utility.

Burbinator

07-14-2012

Quote:
brashorc:

Jungler:
Very, very dependent on the champion and the rune setup
The extremely standard build is 9/12/9, however this is very general and does not optimize the speed that you actually clear and runs into problems late game where the speciallization into a specific tree would pay off. Just post a jungler champion and I can give an idea of what masteries to use.

I can think of no jungler that goes 9/12/9. AD junglers can go 21/9/0, tank junglers can go 9/21/0 or 0/21/9 depending on how much they need blue and how much they benefit from auto attack.

Defense tree probably offers the most "intermediate" benefits. Health regen, flat hp, and flat dmg reduction (BOTH minion and overall) are extremely useful in lane. If you have an extra point or two, every champion can benefit from the extra minion damage or flat AD in offense for auto attack harass or last hitting purpose. Generally speaking the flat AP is nearly useless.

Utility also offers some of the worst early benefits. Mana/level is not useful, and death timer reduction is not a big deal early on since early death timers are really low. Going deep in utility is not really advised on any champion except pure supports, and if you have limited masteries I wouldn't bother with it.

I would advise not going deep into offense tree until you can start getting the lifesteal or flat armor penetration. Flat as/crit dmg/AS/ % arpen are not useful early game.

Trickai

07-14-2012

is there no time or reason to put all 30 into offense?

and everyone keeps tossing around these numbers....9/21/0....0/21/9

what I need is a map (so to speak) of what those actually mean, or where I can find exactly which ones are which...is there no mastery builder somewhere that has these "builds" already punched in so we can just go to a page and view them?

I am not being lazy I am just very new and although brash has gone to a great deal of trouble with his explanation, I am still unsure of some things....sigh....I know it's not anyone's fault who responded...and I really do appreciate the efforts of all who responded...I don't mean to sound ungrateful

I think I just need to do a bit more research and study and go back and forth between the game screen showing masteries and the explanation that brash gave....

doh...there is a mastery builder....I guess I just never stumbled across the right thing to search for....that makes it much easier to figure stuff out...so between brash's info above and the various guides for each character in the guides section I should be good to figure it out....woot woot

p.s. I love this game even though I kind of suck at the moment, and not sure which characters are good for me, although really enjoying Heimdinger and Master Yi the most so far.

once again thanks to all who responded...I honestly do appreciate it despite my whinging (giggle(

Burbinator

07-15-2012

Typically you will only ever go 21 in a tree so that you get the "capstone" mastery, which is, point for point, very very effective. There's little reason to go more than 21 in any tree unless you're a very ballsy hybrid damage champion (30 in offense). Not recommended on anyone. This is also because 9 in off/def/utility is a good break point. 9 in offense gives you valuable cdr if you're mage, tank, whatever, and 10% in mpen is very strong late game (cost effeciient point.). Similarly, 9 in defense lets you get whatever resistances you need to counter your lane, and 30 flat hp is, point for point, pretty **** effective (also reduced minion damage). 9 in utility is enough to get you increased buff duration and movespeed.

Kirielis

07-15-2012

I customise masteries according to the particular champion and role. There are no "standard" builds running around anywhere, and a lot of 9/21/0 builds are different from each other. Spend some time staring at each mastery and thinking, what would I use this for? Then spend some more time making hypothetical builds: I have 4 points to reach the next rank, what is most useful for <champion, role>? Now I have 4 more points for the next rank, which of the available masteries is most useful? and so on.

Also: I use 9/12/9 on jungle Poppy.

Judas Priest

07-15-2012

Check mobafire and solomid sites, you'll find some good stuff there.

EzraTwitch

07-15-2012

Quote:
Padre Judas:
Check solomid, you'll find some good stuff there.

Fix'd.