Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


AP Caster Masteries

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TryndamereGG

Member

07-14-2012

So im starting to play AP mid a lot more now and i was wondering what the best mastery setup would be.

21/0/9

9/0/21

Or if you have a different variation that you find effective please do share it. Also i am aware that it probably differs from one champion to the next.

Thank you in advance to anyway who takes the time to comment.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aphronyaa

Senior Member

07-14-2012

Generally 21/9 if you're an offensive player. (Regi does this a lot)
21/0/9 is average
9/0/21 is geared towards champions who can use the utility, do not rely on huge boots in AP to deal damage, and otherwise don't really care what mastery tree they go down. (TF gets away with this, but generally 21/0/9 is better).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS13c4a25d25d2b5

Member

07-14-2012

I think this video will answer your question and help you a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfIu0mfa_Rs


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Felaedor

Senior Member

07-14-2012

Masteries should almost always be set up to fit the champion specifically before the game.

Some scale better with Movespeed. Some like manaregen. Some don't need the extra mana at all, and would be better with the reduced death timer.

Reducing things to a simple 21/0/9 or x/x/x setup is pointless. You've got a practically infinite number of options in every single game. Use them. There's a reason Riot doesn't give you 20 preset mastery pages. I'm too lazy to do the combinatorics, but you've already got far more than 20.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TryndamereGG

Member

07-14-2012

Quote:
WukongNyaa:
Generally 21/9 if you're an offensive player. (Regi does this a lot)
21/0/9 is average
9/0/21 is geared towards champions who can use the utility, do not rely on huge boots in AP to deal damage, and otherwise don't really care what mastery tree they go down. (TF gets away with this, but generally 21/0/9 is better).


For 21/9 what would you specifically pick?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TryndamereGG

Member

07-14-2012

Quote:
Felaedor:
Masteries should almost always be set up to fit the champion specifically before the game.

Some scale better with Movespeed. Some like manaregen. Some don't need the extra mana at all, and would be better with the reduced death timer.

Reducing things to a simple 21/0/9 or x/x/x setup is pointless. You've got a practically infinite number of options in every single game. Use them. There's a reason Riot doesn't give you 20 preset mastery pages. I'm too lazy to do the combinatorics, but you've already got far more than 20.



Thanks for that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yatoshi

Senior Member

07-14-2012

+10% Magic Penetration
+6% Damage to targets below 40% health
Improved Exhaust, Ignite, Surge, Ghost
Improved Teleport, Promote, Flash, Clarity, Clairvoyance
+3 AD
+5% Ability Power
+1 Ability Power per Level (18 at level 18)
+4 Bonus damage to minions
+4% Cooldown Reduction
+0.5% Increased Damage
+6 Magic Resist
+12 Mana per Level (216 at level 18) or +10 Energy (flat bonus)
+2 Reduced damage from minions and monsters

This is the build I normally go. The extra AP from mental force is pathetic. Lane phase you are auto attacking minions more than anything else so the extra ad helps out a lot. Extra MR for your mid opponent who is assumed to me magic damage. Some minion attack defense and extra mana.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TryndamereGG

Member

07-14-2012

Quote:
Yatoshi:
+10% Magic Penetration
+6% Damage to targets below 40% health
Improved Exhaust, Ignite, Surge, Ghost
Improved Teleport, Promote, Flash, Clarity, Clairvoyance
+3 AD
+5% Ability Power
+1 Ability Power per Level (18 at level 18)
+4 Bonus damage to minions
+4% Cooldown Reduction
+0.5% Increased Damage
+6 Magic Resist
+12 Mana per Level (216 at level 18) or +10 Energy (flat bonus)
+2 Reduced damage from minions and monsters

This is the build I normally go. The extra AP from mental force is pathetic. Lane phase you are auto attacking minions more than anything else so the extra ad helps out a lot. Extra MR for your mid opponent who is assumed to me magic damage. Some minion attack defense and extra mana.


Thank you very much man, exactly what i was after.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JKayy

Junior Member

07-14-2012

I run 21/0/9 always, but I never run AP quints. I either use 2x health quints and 1x AP quint or 3x movespeed quints on champs with low base movespeed (Anivia) or champs that can use movespeed quints to their advantage (Veigar, Ryze, Annie)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aphronyaa

Senior Member

07-14-2012

Quote:
TryndamereGG:
For 21/9 what would you specifically pick?


Everything down the ability power tree, and in 9 I generally go for mana regen. I once went through a stage, thanks to Ocelote, where I went full MS on some AP's, namely Cassio, but you're definitely a little bit weaker early and you can't spam that much more without the +3 mana regen early.

It's whatever you feel like really.


12