Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What part about Zyra was "never seen in a MOBA"?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Devynity

07-12-2012

Quote:
Mensidiaverne:
I played HoN for ages before migrating to LoL and I am coming up blank with a comparison.

Maybe you mean Engineer because one of his skills drops an auto attacking turret but that is more like a Heimer turret that lasts for a few seconds before being used up.

back in the day, there was this hero called turret, and he could drop an engineer until he died.

Duriel

Recruiter

07-12-2012

it's not a 'new mechanic' just a different take on it, there's nothing in any moba that's exactly like zyra.

basically, don't take everything riot says too seriously, phrasing is a huge part of their hype.

Mensidiaverne

07-12-2012

Quote:
Devynity:
back in the day, there was this hero called turret, and he could drop an engineer until he died.

lol I remember that. When he first came out and people bought Thunderclaws then dropped the turret it would kill everybody. Got nerf so hard after the QQ.

tenrel

07-12-2012

Quote:
Aegrotat:
I had a feeling... Then yes, it's not "new" to moba's exactly, just new to league.

Hm, thought it was HoN that I saw it... At any rate, I know I have seen the concept somewhere.

name the hero in dota/hon that does that.

i don't mean just spawning turrets. spawning a unit that evolves depending on which offensive skill you use on it.

name that hero.

9Point

07-12-2012

Quote:
tenrel:
name the hero in dota/hon that does that.

i don't mean just spawning turrets. spawning a unit that evolves depending on which offensive skill you use on it.

name that hero.

Easy.
Hiemer.

Plant turret.
Ult.
Different turret.

tenrel

07-12-2012

Quote:
9Point:
Easy.
Hiemer.

Plant turret.
Ult.
Different turret.

not even close.

9Point

07-12-2012

Quote:
tenrel:
not even close.

Really?

It's so different?

Ok,
I use a ability to lay a turret.
I use another ability on that turret to chqnge its effect.

Replace turret with plant.
Add attack range.

Edit: I'm not saying she isn't cool. But its not new in lol. Funny thing though dota doesn't have a hiemer interaction. So yea, for dota this is unheard of

Alpha GareBear

07-12-2012

I was rather annoyed.

It's basically a hero that summons plants, with an extra step added in to make it "never before seen".

I mean, it's not really that unique. Sure, this very specific, arbitrary step has probably never been put on a hero before in any ARTT. Does that instantly make it unique? No.

I suppose I'm more annoyed at the phrasing and the dishonesty than that she's not that unique.

tenrel

07-12-2012

Quote:
9Point:
Really?

It's so different?

Ok,
I use a ability to lay a turret.
I use another ability on that turret to chqnge its effect.

Replace turret with plant.
Add attack range.

not even remotely close.

wold have to be more like.

lay a turret>toss grenade at the turret to turn it into short range tesla coil

or

shoot a rocket at the turret to turn it into a rocket turret.

all heimies ult does is add slow to his existing turret. not even similar to zyra's mechanic.

TheJohns

07-12-2012

Quote:
Aegrotat:
I think it was supposed to be the "Pick your turret" type thing.

Though it has been done before, I believe it was in HoN they had something along those lines...

I can't think of a HoN or DotA hero with upgradable-on-command minions.

But for the first time, I'm genuinely interested in a new LoL champion. Zyra seems like an actually unique concept, and not just yet another champion with one gimmick skill and everything else being generic.