More Classic Skins Retiring from the Store

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NeeksNaman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Champion Herald

07-12-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Summoners!

Starting 11:59 PM PDT Tuesday July 17th, the Legendary Skins listed below will be retired from the store and added to the Legacy Skin vault. They will still be purchasable until that time, and players who have purchased these skins prior to their retirement will still be able to use them in game.

Magnificent Twisted Fate
Red Baron Corki
Annie in Wonderland
Firefighter Tristana
Alien Invader Heimerdinger

Zemenar90

07-12-2012

sick.

Are these not even going on sale like the other skin retirements?

Also, a question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Whoa Epic Thread! There are some Terrific Ideas in here! I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to post it in this one as well, Yes, we are going to update this skin. I can't give you dates, but it is on my radar and I am very aware of it's artistic state. I personally can't wait to get to it though.
By update did he mean retire?

Lyanna Stark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Sigh.

It would have been better if you simply updated Magnificent TF.

What could have been...

EDIT: Oh, and I hope you realize what awful timing this is, just a few days after that confused red told us Magnificent TF would be getting updated. He later came back and corrected his mistake, but there are most likely plenty of people that never found out about that second part. A few people are going to feel very cheated.

13bmw13

07-12-2012

wow definitly gonna get some of those then

Koronis

07-12-2012

Why remake skins when you can remove em amirit?

Sauron

07-12-2012

"Gentlemen, how can we go back and improve upon these skins so that they are worth their cost?"

"Lol just get rid of them."

TheBronzeLegend

07-12-2012

Wow! Really? Why not improve them, or give those who purchased them at full price a refund?

EDIT: PRICES?

Ok, So: 1. Crappy skins that nobody would buy because of the quality of 975s that are out.
2. These skins are rip offs for 1820 and even if you do post this, nobody will buy them. Nobody wants to pay 15 bucks for these skins, when they could buy 2 much better skins, such as Glacial Malphite or Foxfire Ahri.
3. No price reduction: people don't really care.

Shooting Stars

07-12-2012

RIP Legendaries

Kittah4

07-12-2012

So, giving up on the old Legendary skins seems the most logical solution, eh?

Darmikau

07-12-2012

Nice. A great way to cash in on the fact that you abandoned these skins. Real community-focused.

Good thing Grumpy Monkey is the hero your company deserves.

Or were you just waiting until he announced he'd be working on Magnificent TF to make sure you could maximize your profits?

If you're going to extort your players, you don't have to be so obvious about it. At least cut the price in half (preferably more) before you remove them.

EDIT: For those wondering why Riot retires skins at all:

"It's a marketing scheme. Exclusivity = get it now or it's gone.

It's to squeeze the last bit of money they can out of the skins. Same reason Pulsefire Ezreal was half price for the first four days, so everyone buys it "before it costs too much."

They're not on sale because their marketers ran the numbers, and determined they would make more from having them be full price than they would putting them on sale (and getting a few more purchases)."

And before anyone tries to argue that "of course Riot is doing this, they're a business" please consider that they're also supposedly the "most player-centric company in the world." You can't make marketing decisions that extort consumers that don't know any better and also be the most player-centric. That's not how it works. You have to pick one. You can give up being perfectly player centric, and do cash grabs like this, or you can be perfectly player-centric but it means you have to give up money in some areas.

I really like Riot, but not when they do stuff like this. Especially when they try and mask it as "caring." The skin are not being put on sale because Riot has a whole section of marketers and economists that are well-educated and ran the numbers that found they would make more money not putting them on sale, not because they "value the exclusivity of the skins."

Please, Riot, you didn't used to do stuff like this. You're just becoming another EA or BioWare.