@Morello (Official!)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
198 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo Dann View Post
Hey, this is Hobo Dann reporting in for your weekly dose of homelessness.

Morello, I've been playing League of Legends since the day it came out in open beta(over various accounts). I just wanted to let you and your department know that this is probably the most comfortable and balanced I have seen LoL. You guys are doing a stellar job. Keep up the good work, tell your friends.

Stay homeless guys.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaius View Post
Morello, you cutie pie, gwp misses you.
#gwp - it's like prison; kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's *****. Luckily, we had Tommy around for that

Good to see so many GW people in LoL

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
199 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantage View Post
Hey Morello,

Nice thread, found some answers to questions that I wanted answered. I just have 2 questions:
1. How important is the fun factor when it comes to balancing for you folks? For example, Corki is balanced now, but he's just not that much fun anymore with his **** ap ratios and the way his skills scale.
2. Summoner spells. I've been running into 9+ ghosts and 9+ flashes alot recently. Could it be possible for you folks to make other skills more viable by lowering their cds? I know earlier in the thread other folks complained about the travel time needed to get a gank off, teleporting to wards is a great way to bypass that.
I agree with you 100% on 1). Fun Factor and balance are both very important, but are different things - as you note with Corki, his balance isn't that bad, but his fun factor is. I like to always try to find ways to improve fun factor without upsetting balancing goals.

As for 2), escapes make the first 15 minutes of the game boring once players are good.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
200 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapacman View Post
Hi Morello,

I read in another thread that you are considering Blink Dagger. So my @Morello is: please, please, please do not implement Blink Dagger into the game. You can buy a cleanse with Quicksilver Sash to counter heavy CC teams, now there's a ghost item as well for a whole two seconds. The last thing this game needs is the possibility of double flash.

Thanks,

Pete
"Dapacman"
You misunderstand then - a Blink Dagger would only be implemented if we removed Flash. This allows for some of the fun uses of Flash and removes it from where it's causing problems - the laning phase.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
201 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumpdyr View Post
Morello, have you got a Twitter Account?
I don't, no. I'm a bit of a Luddite on social media stuff.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
202 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltai View Post
Will there be more champs like Galio and Anivia soon?
Champions...that have wings? I don't understand what you're asking.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
203 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehran Fye View Post
What do you think of Anivia?
I think she is kinda OP now, at lvl 6 she can outlane anyone in mid, i remember other reds saying that they want to nerf Vlad more because when he reaches 9 is very hard to lane agaisnt but right now with Frostbite range increased she can do the same a less lvls.
So what do you think?
I think Anivia is very solid, but not OP (despite her being a big part of NA's win over EU). Anivia is paper-thin other than her egg and falls apart in the lane if you can get some solid DPS on her. The trick is to counter-attack when she misses a Flash Frost. I still think Annie is stronger than she is in lane.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
204 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeoz View Post
Morello, you've recently stated you think Garen is terribly OP.... but only a week or two before that (before the recent nerfs)... you stated that Garen would be considered "High A-Tier, but is generally not too much of a problem."

Is the dev. team just going to keep nerfing all the champions.... like honestly.. I thought A-Tier champions were fine. I mean... ideally you'd want all the champions on the same level... but come on... that's never going to happen... its way too difficult.... There generally will always be a "best" champion.... are you just going to keep nerfing all of them?

And a lot of designers mention that vlad is too powerful and "unfun" to play against. I don't see how his Q is any worse than Zilean double bomb.... Care to explain (other than the fact that he heals and has no cost for it.... but Zilean's double bomb nukes much harder).
You answered this yourself - you're comparing skills that have different qualities entirely and actually have -none- of the same problems.

As far as balance, there's no such thing as perfect, so yeah, we'll probably always be adjusting something. I don't dilude myself into thinking there's a time where everything is equally viable, but my high-level goal is to support a vibrant game with an array of viable and interesting strategies. A few characters are above the line for what I think is OK, generally.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
205 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epok2 View Post
Hello Morello ! I'm posting this because I'd love to know what do you think about Nidalee :

I personally think she's a very fun champ and she can be a beast when well played in solo queue. However I feel like she's suffering of well organized teams (premade) and that she has a quite poor late game currently.
In late game fight you get almost one shot if you go in cougar form even if you wait that the fight has already started to go in. She already has some protection against physical damage (10% dodge while in cougar form) but she has nothing to protect her from spells. I think all others melee champions have some sort of magical damage mitigation to help them to survive (a bit) to those late game AOE.

I think that you could give her some scaling damage reduction in her cougar form to assess that. It could be some dodge + MR or dodge + AOE damage reduction or simply flat damage reduction. The scaling part is very important because she doesn't need to be better in the mid game so by making the numbers scaling with the level of her ultimate you could buff her late game without buffing her mid game.

I also think she could have a better AP ratio on swipe, 0.2/AP is ridiculous, maybe you could tone down a bit her heal AP ratio to compensate.

Last thing, I think it's a shame that her traps take so much time to activate, it make them almost impossible to land in team fight. I think you should lower a bit that time (by 25 or 50% for instance), this would add more gameplay IMO. You could reduce the MR and Armor % reduction values to compensate for this change.

By the way here is my item build on nidalee : doran's ring, rageblade, lichbane

I hope you'll be able to tell me what do you think about all this. Thanks a lot.
I agree that Nidalee's scaling is bad, and her mid-game is beast. I think Nidalee is a very solid pick, but I wouldn't mind rounding her scaling out a bit more. I mentioned this more earlier in the thread, but generally, yes, I agree.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
206 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewyn View Post
I'll bite.

Tristiana has a better escape; rocket jump has further range. Offensively it deals an aoe and snares. Both have a method for cool down reduction (ezreal via mystic, Tristiana resets on kills and assists). Trists is far easier to jump over walls with etc. Her ultimate gives her even more survivability or ganking. Her inherit range gives her an amazing poke late game, and her damage output is amazing; her speed increase is on demand (which situationally is better than ezreals passive). Ezreal has a possible team buff/debuff, while she has built in ignite like power to deal with healers and health regeners, which also gives her a passive AOE which is great as a harass by killing nearby creeps.

Now Tristiana is an example of a ranged carry with amazing ranged dps numbers, relatively simple to play (no skill shots what so ever) and very difficult to kill; more so than ezreal. Ezreals 'burst poke' is very nice, but Trist's burst isnt bad either (rocket jump/rapid fire/explosive shot/buster shot). Now..ezreal has to aim and predict the movement of his opponents with ALL of his abilities; Arcane Shift wrong, your missile hits a minion, etc etc. Tristiana is really just a right click hero, capable of amazing damage numbers and very maneuverable. Yes there is a small delay on her rocket jump, although I contend she also jumps much further with it (range 600 (ez) vs range 800 (trist)).

Now yeah Ez has a global ult and some other tricks, but depending on if you go AD or AP, certain abilities will hit hard and others will tapper off to a light tickle late game. Tristiana being an auto attack hero scales her damage consistently and incredibly well; with madreds, speed boosters, inifinty edges, phantom dancers and some life steal, Trist is going to wreck things faster than a late game Ezreal, while remaining as maneuverable.
But this is why you pick Ezreal - for superior poke, range, and harass. Ezreal is very difficult to get your hands on when played well, while Tristana needs sustained damage output (or a full commit) to get a kill. She's pretty much the quintessential AD carry, while Ezreal is much more focused on mobility and ranged harass. It's very surprising that people are already forgetting what it was like when the numbers were more comparable.

The one thing I don't like about Ezreal right now is that his Ult and Essence Flux are wet noodles. I'd like to improve this, generally.

Morello

Lead Designer

10-04-2010
207 of 517 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewyn View Post
Hello Morello, big fan (despite my post above about ez vs trist): Questions.

A) Are there any plans for Akali? In high elo play her survivability is really a joke, and even with tank nerfs, I do not think the current meta is going to step to far away from A) beefy melee and B) tons of aoe. Whats a ninja girl to do? Anyhow, I was hoping there might be something small on the horizon for her in some way. I realize that she cant get too much survivability or she will need to pay with her dps, and no akali players want that, but maybe something small?

B) Any chance Akalis shadow dance can automatically start the auto attack animation on the target? Right now i might Shadow Dance on to Teemo, and akali auto attacks a minion or something else (even with Teemo right ontop of him). So instead im frantically trying to right click him (which from what I've been told can cause a bug in itself where by you keep reseting your auto attack timer. I have not confirmed this). It would be really nice with things like jump attack, shadow dance, shunpo automatically start auto attacking the target without additional user input. I mean, you are already telling the server "hey i want to kill this guy"...why do you have to tell it again just to start auto attacks.

C) Any chance shadow dances can trigger mark of the assassin?
I'm not sure - everything I've seen and heard says Akali is a specialized but "fine" pick. She's an absolute nightmare for casters and squishies - I think that's fine.

As far as the attack timer, I don't know. I'd have to examine. That's not something that would have all the effect be obvious before looking at the change more closely.