Saurus' Champion Design Workshop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thereisnosaurus

07-12-2012

Saurus' Champion Design Workshop

Latest news

Quote:
26 July, 2012: Midas, the final champ in my development set is now up. He is a unique champion constructed around the usage of gold and items. Please chip in and comment on which champ you like most, as I'll use this to determine who to fully develop first.
Quote:
23 July, 2012: After a brief hiatus, Shrike is up. Shrike is a physical/on-hit assassin designed around % health damage.

Introduction:
Hey all, I'm an Aussie Summoner who's getting into game design. This thread is to showcase and help develop a series of champions. I will be doing indepth design including mechanical, aesthetic and animation whiteboxing for the champions I'm creating, aiming to put together champions who fit seamlessly in to the LoL universe, enhance it and are also interesting via designing around the current meta, extremely unique mechanics or gameplay concepts and so on. This first post will contain an index of champion projects and progress. Below is a list of champions currently in development, with links to posts deeper in this thread. Feel free to have a browse and tell me what you think.

Note:
While I appreciate all criticism, I would ask that you be aware of my intent as a designer for these champions. That intent is listed at the beginning of each champion's design post. Suggestions and ideas which do not follow the design goals are less likely to get a full hearing from me. On the other hand, if you think the goals themselves are dumb for some reason, I'd be more than happy to hear it ^^.

Thereisnosaurus

07-12-2012

TANDAYA (TAHN-DAI-AH) - THE RUNEWEAVER
Carry-Ranged-Pusher

Abstract:
Tandaya is a hybrid carry with a dance aesthetic, capable of AP, AD or hybrid builds. She depends entirely on auto-attacks as a primary resource, charging them with various effects to generate combos and create a rythmic, flowing engagement style. Tandaya can achieve hyper carry status if sufficiently fed, though she is extremely vulnerable to coordinated ganks and fights where she is outnumbered or without support against burst champions, even more so than traditional AD carries. Tandaya is intended as a character with an extremely unique playstyle who can adapt to a variety of team compositions and rewards dedication and deep understanding.

Design Goals:
  • develop an auto-attack based AP champion
  • develop a carry who can blend AP and AD carry playstyles, and be viable in either lane playing either style
  • Aesthetically develop a champion whose allegiance is to runeterra itself, given the original intent and spirit of the League.

Lore:
As a girl in the mountains of Kaladoun, Tandaya's family taught her to respect the land and to listen to it when it spoke with wind, flame and ice. Most of all they taught her feel and heed the power that flowed through the fibres of the world. This was the same energy that they caught and shaped into runes, like so many other tribes across Valoran had for thousands of years. Even for the Kaladoune, however, the tradition of listening to the land was merely that, a tradition. So it was for Tandaya until one day, performing the ceremonial Weaving Dance, she was captivated more deeply than she had ever been before. Long after the normal conclusion of the dance, Tandaya spun and slipped across the rune-carved plateau to the resonating throb of something that was so much greater than her she knew it could only be Runeterra itself. Despite the awesome majesty of that beat, Tandaya could feel a deep wrong, a weariness that eventually pressed her to her knees, weeping onto the glowing rocks.

After that day Tandaya was distracted and distant. Her hands followed stands of nothingness and she was prone to slip without warning into the paces of the Weaving Dance. Magic seemed to gather around her and flow through her at times, her motions leaving trails of energy that coalesced into runes even the elders of her tribe had never known.

Like all people on Valoran, the Kaladoune knew of the League of Legends. Tandaya had always been interested in the League, but after the change she listened to the news from the Institute of War with growing distaste. One day, she left her people and travelled to the League, begging an audience with the council of high summoners. She became suffused with radiance as she spoke of the wounding of the world, how the League had been formed to safeguard the land from the ravages of misused power and how it had since become simply a tool for men to gather such power to be abused once more. Tandaya speaks for no land or lord, but for Runeterra itself and she fights to return the League to its idealistic origins, lest the ancient pulse of the world fall still forever.

Quote:
given this was my first champ design, I wanted to pick something fairly safe. Rather than adding to existing areas, I chose to pick an isolated and undeveloped area of the map to base my champion in. Tandaya gets her name from the Tandavas, a set of mythological Hindu dances performed by Shiva, the goddess associated with creation and destruction. She is intended as an idealist, young and determined with the power of the world behind her

STATS & ABILITIES

Statistics:
Health 380 (+90)
HP5: 4.5 (+0.7)
Mana 200 (+35)
MP5 7.5 (+0.5)
Dmg 53 (+3)
Armour 12 (+3.5)
MR 30 (+0)
Asp 0.63 (+3%)
Range 475
Move speed: 320

Quote:
Tandaya's base stats make her a fragile but mobile level 1 fighter. She has a very high move speed for a ranged champion, but quite a short range compared to most carries, requiring her to use abilities to augment herself to overcome this. She also has a very low base mana pool but high Mp5 to prevent some potentially abusive early game scenarios. I have given her relatively strong health scaling to lend her a little more survivability in the mid-late game as she needs to get close in and lacks any real defensive tools. Other than health her scaling is quite mediocre as with most ranged carries.

Passive: Dance of Fate
Whenever Tandaya hits an enemy with a charged attack, her movement and attack speed is increased for 5 seconds, stacking up to 3 times. Tandaya may only charge her attacks with one effect at a time, but may have up to two attacks charged to be used consecutively. If a new charge ability is used while two are already readied, the oldest charge is lost but refunds 50% of its mana cost.

Attack and movement speed increase: 5%(level 1) / 7% (level 6) / 10%(level 11)

Quote:
Dance of Fate is designed to aid and abet Tandaya's basic play mechanics. It is similar to ezreal and jax's passives as a stacking attack speed buff, but also gives movement speed. This will hopefully encourage Tandaya to remain mobile and give her the utility to chase and juke enemies in the absence of other tools. The remainder of Tandaya's passive organises her spellcasting mechanic, allowing her to 'que up' a spell in advance to make timing spells between auto attacks a little more forgiving.
Q: Flamelash
(Active): Charges Tandaya's next attack within 5 seconds with runic flame, increasing its range and dealing additional magic damage

If activated twice consecutively, the mana cost, bonus range and magic damage of the second charge will be doubled, but Flamelash will incur a 10 second cooldown.

Cost: 35 mana
Range increase: 50/80/110/140/170
Magic damage: 20/35/50/65/80 (+0.4 per ability power)

Quote:
Tandaya's Q is the simplest of her abilities, adding damage and range. The basic level adds a little DPS to her rotation, the second provides enough range for an effective poke tool. Tandaya's base range is very low for a ranged carry, so levelling flamelash early is necessary to engage in poke wars with opposing AD carries effectively. At highest level flamelash gives her extremely lethal poke, particularly in a heavy AP build including lichbane, which gives the skill an effective 1.8 ratio on AP, as well as scaling with AD similar to Ezreal's Q.
W: Soulspear
(Active): Charges Tandaya's next attack within 5 seconds with runic energy, causing it to travel instantly, deal magic damage to all enemies between Tandaya and the target and decrease affected units' magic resistance and armour for 3 seconds

If activated twice consecutively, Soulspear's mana cost, magic resist and armour reduction will be doubled and a percentage of the damage to the primary target will be dealt as true damage, but Soulspear will incur a 10 second cooldown

Magic Damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.2 per ability power)
Armour and magic resist reduction: 10/15/20/25/30
Percentage true damage: 20/40/60/80/100%

Quote:
Soulspear is intended as Tandaya's go to skill for AOE farming, teamfight damage and also provides her a tool for doing strong burst damage to tanky champions with the second activation via the true damage/ double shred component. It should be noted that the magic damage done by soulspear does not hit the target of the attack, only enemies in the way, so this skill has an extremely high reward for good positioning but also forces Tandaya to play close in in order to reach her true potential rather than hanging at the back of a fight. Soulspear is best levelled in a lane against tanky opponents where the basic activation can be used to shred a little resistance to make a harder hitting Q or W and the true damage poke can punish resist stacking. In general terms Soulspear is best levelled when Tandaya wishes to maximise her DPS at the cost of control.
E: Runehammer
(Active): Charges Tandaya's next attack within 5 seconds with runic force, dealing additional magic damage and causing it to knock the enemy back and slow them for 1 second.

If activated twice consecutively, Runehammer's mana cost will be doubled, it will knock the enemy back further and stun them for 1.5 seconds, but Runehammer will incur a 10 second cooldown

Slow: 10/15/20/25/30%
Magic damage: 20/30/40/50/60 (+0.2 per ability power)
Base knockback distance: 150
Augmented knockback distance: 600

Quote:
Runehammer is Tandaya's control spell. The basic activation has an effect similar to Riven's 3rd Q charge, a very slight knockback followed by short slow. The second activation is more akin to Condemn or Headbutt, though dealing less damage. Like all of Tandaya's regular abilities, Runehammer's secondary activation is quite powerful on a carry, but using it locks her out of using the basic level in her rotation for at least 6 seconds, which rewards diving onto her early into a fight to force the large knockback, removing her ability to provide the perhaps more powerful sustained control during the first 5-10 seconds of the engagement. Runehammer is generally best leveled when Tandaya wants to be able to consistently kite or disrupt an enemy, at the cost of ease of farming and burst damage.
R: Avatar of Runeterra
For 7 seconds, any ability cast by or affecting Tandaya is partly absorbed and restores 2% of her maximum health and mana. At the end of the effect, the energy is released dealing magic damage to enemies in a small radius for each ability absorbed.

Cost: 140 mana
AOE radius: 250
Magic damage per spell absorbed: 40/80/120(+0.2 per ability power)
Maximum magic damage: 400/800/1200(+2.0 per ability power)

Quote:
Tandaya is intended to be a mobile, graceful character who gets in amongst the thick of a fight to do her best work. Her ult is designed to reward this and give her the opportunity to take advantage of a confused or uncoordinated foe. It is an extremely powerful but highly situational AOE time bomb centred on Tandaya herself, requiring her to close almost to melee range to deal the damage. By activating it early during a fight, Tandaya can hang back for a few seconds and then push in creating a zone of control around herself as enemies are forced to avoid her or take massive damage. This is not without risk however, as a team can turn around and focus fire her in seconds if she overcommits. Like all of Tandaya's skills Avatar of Runeterra has a complex risk/reward matrix during most engagements that should require an intimate understanding of the character to fully exploit.

AESTHETICS

Quotes:

Champion Selection:
I shall weave a victory for you this day

Attacking:
I will not suffer this
Witness true power
I shall not falter
They shall be reborn in flame
They will be swallowed by the land
Feel the fury of the world
Their fate is known

Movement:
Power guides my path
With surety
This land will be healed
I shall restore the world
for Runeterra!
I must do this
No time for doubt

Joke:
Ugh, itchy bac-OW (casts a spell into her back, falling over, then getting up and dusting herself off) ...I did that on purpose.

Taunt:
Will you face me, I who hold the very reins of the world?
Your dance is inferior. (if another dancer is in vision)

Recall:
This land sings once more
I will follow the weave

Ultimate Activation:
(harmonic voice) RUNETERRA SPEAKS.
(harmonic voice) THE WORLD WAKES

Artwork so far

Attachment 484950
First concept sketch: primary ideas are a warm core vest that shows of bare arms and legs, cloth bindings on wrists and feet, the wrist ones trail giving tandaya a unique silhouette and act as markers showing which abilities she has charged: next attack on the right, the second prepared charge on the left.

First two of her skill icons, flamelash and soulspear.
Attachment 484947Attachment 484948

INDEPTH

Tandaya's design comes from a couple of ideas. One was to create a character who is AP based but also constructed around their auto attacks in the style of an AD carry. The second was to try and design with the highest levels of play in mind and create a carry who isn't pigeonholed into the standard AP/AD meta. I wanted to build a character who can really play each game as its own challenge, able to be incredibly versatile as far as builds and strategies are concerned so even at the level of picks and bans she has the strength of unpredictability.

My primary idea was to design a character who used abilities purely to augment auto attacks, which would then provide a set of tools as strong as any other character. This both proved the inspiration for Tandaya's 'dancer' theme, by forcing her player to adopt a rhythmic playstyle based around her attack speed rather than ability cooldowns, and a challenge in that such abilities were very difficult to balance if built as normal with a single effect. Too weak and Tandaya was a sitting duck for other carries, too strong and she would scale impossibly hard with attack speed and mana. I have attempted to resolve this by linking back to the dancer aesthetic. I gave each ability two levels. If activated twice in a row the ability would gain a more powerful effect but also incur a long cooldown. This created the core two concepts in Tandaya's mechanical design.
  • Tandaya 'weaves' her spells, alternating between them in patterns somewhat like sona's auras, depending on what she wants to achieve. If she does not do this, she will find herself quickly out of options and unable to maximise her damage and utility. The first key skill in mastering Tandaya is learning what sequences to use in what situations, which pleasingly ties into the dancer aesthetic.
  • Tandaya, more so than other characters, has an extremely complex risk-reward mechanism. She has the ability to trigger powerful effects, but these cripple her more so than other characters. Finding the right time to activate the second level of her abilities so that the reward is maximised against the risk of not even being able to use the basic level for an extended period is the second key skill to mastering Tandaya. Again this ties in to the dancer aesthetic as a well played Tandaya will seem to gracefully flow through a fight, punctuated with moments of game-changing power accompanied by an exuberant animation for the second tier skill casts. An unskilled or flustered Tandaya will appear to flail wildly for a bit and then kick herself in the teeth as she falls flat on her face. If you're going to tread the boards, you have got to have style.

From there the main effort in this design has been to make Tandaya viable in all three lanes. She scales very well with farm, making her primary requisite the ability to get good CS going throughout the game. Beyond that, her skillset gives her the tools to compete with both AD and AP lane opponents and also have a fighting chance against bruisers and other traditional anti-carry lanes. Her key weakness is a vulnerability to ganks and baiting. Tandaya needs to render herself vulnerable in order to maximise her duelling power, which means a fight can quickly turn against her if an unanticipated opponent joins the fray mid battle, something a coordinated team can exploit, forcing her to be more careful in lane than her 1v1 power might suggest she needs to be. On the flip side, a Tandaya who can feel safe in the knowledge that she will only face her lane opponent should be a frightening prospect.

A nice little side effect of Tandaya's skills is that she scales very well with hybrid items. Since her charged auto attacks are considered spells as well as AAs they proc both on-hit and spellcast effects. This makes items like gunblade, rageblade and nashor's tooth extremely viable on her, and seeing more characters who can make good use of these under-represented items is cool IMO. Perhaps the most interesting trait however is that she can be built pure AD, pure AP or any combination of the two which gives her almost incredible ability to mix, match and counterbuild to fit the situation.

To finish off, the basic concept of a dancer champion has now developed more fully through the mechanical design cycle. Tandaya's backstory is influenced by the Gaia hypothesis and by hindu mythology. This is where she gets her name, a distortion of Tandava, a set of mythological creation dances. I did not want to do a character affiliated to any of the major LoL factions as the accompanying aesthetics are already well developed, so instead I cast her as a character who embodies the idealistic spirit of the league, as a healing and protective entity designed to safeguard the world as a whole, rather than a petty political tool. Tandaya fights for Runeterra itself. This makes her an easy girl to like, since you can take that to mean whatever you so choose...

Q&A

Coming soon

Thereisnosaurus

07-12-2012

ASANE (AH-SAH-NEH), THE CRONE OF SHURIMA
Mage-Ranged-Jungler

Abstract:
Asane is a versatile, ranged AP based champion with a crone/hag aesthetic who has the potential to jungle and to build either extremely tanky or heavy AP. She has low burst potential but extremely reliable damage over time and high sustainability, combined with a variety of confusing and distracting effects that allow her to wear opponents down and force errors. She is vulnerable to high burst damage champions and focus fire, if allowed to survive during a teamfight however she becomes increasingly powerful thanks to great damage over time and regeneration.

Design Goals:
  • develop a versatile ranged AP champion with high jungle potential
  • design a champion around the concept of generating continuous unease/apprehension in opponents as a pressure mechanic
  • develop a female champion who doesn't follow the young/strong/sexy model, but is still an attractive and strongly rooted example of female power archetypes.
  • Use passive regeneration as a core mechanic for a champion

Lore:
The Shurima desert is one of the most desolate regions of Valoran, ravaged by ancient magic and the ever-present sands. The hardy people who still inhabit Shurima are by necessity brave, resourceful and practical, yet even amongst the tribes of Shurima, there are tales told around the fires at night to frighten children and make even the bravest look over their shoulders into the drifting sands. The oldest of these legends is of a shadow in the sandstorms, an ancient creature known as the Crone of Shurima.

The sands hold many ancient secrets and the legends say that the Crone guards the darkest of them, appearing from the rolling sands when any should venture too close to knowledge that must remain lost. What becomes of them is not known, but it is a common saying amongst the tribes that there is enough sand in Shurima to cover the world, should the storms ever blow so far.

These legends were only a curiosity to the summoners of the institute of war until one day a great storm blew up off the deserts and swept through the mountain passes. The sand blew against the gates of the league for hours and when they subsided, a hunched figure stood before the gates. Quite what the Crone of Shurima is, none can say. Even those summoners tasked with her judgement saw only a kindly old woman who lives alone and hobbles across the barren dunes tending rare desert flowers. All they discovered was a name; how Asane can summon up a tempest of sand to flay those who stand against her remains as mysterious as the legendary secret she defends.

Quote:
Asane comes partly from a desire to do a female character who isn't a young and sexy badass. Creating such a character is tricky, given how popular the striking ladies of LoL are, so Asane's identity and kit are heavily influenced by the other primary female power archetype in mythology- the crone. Beating someone up with granny is funny, and hopefully Asane should have just the right amount of creepyness to make her enjoyable to the sort of people who like an edgier champ. Her name derives from Asase, a west African goddess.

STATS & ABILITIES

Statistics:
Health 440 (+65)
HP5: 4.5 (+0.5)
Mana 250 (+42)
MP5 7.5 (+0.5)
Dmg 50 (+3)
Armour 18 (+4.5)
MR 30 (+1.25)
Asp 0.6x (+3%)
Range 550
Move speed: 295

Quote:
Asane has strong base stats but weak scaling. Her kit is quite weak early on in champion vs champion engagements so the extra sustain is needed both in lane and to make her a viable jungler through levels 1-3 before she gets her tools fleshed out. since her abilities scale with health/mana/regen heavily however, I'm keeping their base scaling low so buying those stats is a necessity to really capitalise on the abilities rather than just relying on innate scaling to pay off.

Passive: Desert Winds
Asane deals true damage to nearby units every second. This damage will only affect neutral units that are attacking Asane or a member of her team. Units affected by Desert Winds also have their vision range slightly reduced. Desert winds does not trigger any effects that work on spell casts including spellvamp, rylais etc, nor does it interrupt recalls.

True damage: 2 (+1 x level) (+0.02 per Ability power)
AOE radius: 425
Sight range reduction: 300

Quote:
This passive is intended to be quite weak early, but scale into late game to provide almost a 'fifth spell'. Early game Asane lacks the tools to maintain a close distance to enemies so desert winds is primarily a tool for the jungle. Late game however two build paths open up tactical options- tanky builds that allow Asane to absorb damage while wearing away at an opponent slowly with the base damage on her passive or mage builds that significantly increase the damage done and reward high risk close ranged aggression during teamfights as well as making her ult a serious global threat and incredible farming tool late game, capable of dealing 400+ true damage to every enemy champion and minion on the map. However, as this damage is periodic over 14 seconds, it is far easier for enemy champions to take countermeasures than against other global ults. The vision reduction is intended to make Asane a more nerve-wracking opponent by making enemies feel blinded and allowing teammates to surprise them in engagements away from minions or turrets.
Q: Stinging Swarm
(Active): Asane sends a desert swarm to blind a target for 1 second and deal magic damage to it over 3 seconds. At the end of the effect or if the target dies, the swarm will spread to nearby units with the same effect, dealing 20% decreased damage. This can occur up to twice. Fresh applications of Stinging Swarm override existing ones.

During Raging Sands, Stinging Swarm instead deals 20% increased damage when it spreads.

Cooldown: 14/13/12/10/9 seconds
Range: 550
Spread range: 350
Mana cost: 80/95/110/125/150
Damage: 80/140/200/260/320 (+0.5 per ability power)

Quote:
Stinging Swarm serves as a hybrid farming/utility spell for Asane. It is her primary jungling tool as it reduces the damage output of camps while doing strong AOE damage over time. Asane may have a somewhat slow early jungle, but will scale well. In lane stinging swarm acts primarily as a zoning tool, making enemies nervous of standing near minions in keeping with Asane's theme of pervading unease. The blind is designed to make her a little more interesting in bot/top lanes by providing utility against AA champs, hopefully making her a situationally viable support choice. During her ultimate stinging swarm provides an extremely powerful teamfight tool, though once again it is indirect and much of its strength derives from unsettling and confusing the enemy team.
W: All is Dust
(Passive): 10% of Asane's health and mana is augmented gains bonus regeneration. This health will be lost and regenerated first. The augmented health effect is lost while All is Dust is on cooldown.

(Active):Asane expends all remaining augmented health and mana to deal magic damage based on the amount of augmented health expended. At the end of the cooldown, Asane regains 5% of her maximum health and mana

During Raging Sands, the bonus regeneration granted by All is Dust affects all of Asane's health and mana, this effect is still lost while all is dust is on cooldown.

Bonus regeneration: 75/125/175/225/275%
Range: 400
Damage: 100% of expended health (+1.0 per ability power)
Cooldown: 21/19/17/15/13 seconds
Mana cost: 5% of maximum mana+ 100% of remaining augmented mana.

Quote:
All is Dust is the cornerstone of Asane's strategy/build choices both in lane and the jungle. It provides a slight buffer of health and mana that is quickly refilled, allowing Asane to sustain a constant but slow flow of damage and mana use extremely well. It gives her strong scaling with health, mana and regeneration items that make tanky/sustain options a safer choice than AP, and regen runes a somewhat viable choice on her. In the jungle all is dust plus some regeneration items will allow Asane to clear most small camps taking very little permanent damage while in lane it allows her to make minor trades advantageously, though her reliable burst potential is very weak compared to most characters. When activated this provides a strong nuke but also renders Asane vulnerable for a significant window. The activated ability is intended to be a very complex decision, since its damage will quickly drop during a fight, but using it at the beginning not only hurts Asane but further decreases her regeneration over the course of the fight.
E: Shadow in the Storm
(Active): Asane marks a location for enemies who can see her and gains magic resistance, armour and movement speed for 3 seconds. During the duration of this ability, it may be reactivated to immobilise Asane and phase her to the targeted location over .5 seconds dealing magic damage to nearby units when she arrives and refreshing the duration of the buff.

During raging sands the range of shadow in the storm is greatly increased

Range: 1250 (2500 during Raging Sands)
Cooldown: 20/17/14/11/8 seconds
Mana cost: 125
Armour, movement speed and magic resistance gained: 40/55/70/85/100
AOE radius: 325
Magic damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.6 per ability power)

Quote:
Shadow in the Storm is again a versatile ability that provides Asane an initiation tool, escape and zone control mechanic. In the jungle it provides 5-6 seconds of significantly increased tankiness and a moderate AOE damage effect, though at early levels the cooldown is enough that it might best be saved for the buff camps. With good positioning in lane, by placing the marker behind an enemy Asane can force them to walk forward into a trade while she is tanky. During her ultimate, shadow in the storm gains extreme range, allowing Asane to appear more or less anywhere she wants, providing a similar sort of fear inducement to nocturne's ult. She could come out of any bush, anywhere, oh god!
R: Raging Sands
(Active): Asane summons up an empowered sandstorm. For a brief time the effect of Desert Winds becomes global, while the damage is increased against those in the normal radius.

During this time Asane's other abilities also gain additional effects.

Mana cost: 150 mana
Duration: 6/10/14 seconds
Damage increase: 50/150/250%
Cooldown: 140/120/100 seconds

Quote:
Raging sands is an ult that is designed to make Asane just 100% more Asane. It makes her more mobile, squirrelly and difficult to get rid of while briefly increasing the power of her AOE damage over time. This gives a mage Asane the opportunity to engage and capitalise on a weakened enemy and gives a tanky Asane an extremely powerful initiation and subsequently makes her a threat that is impossible to completely ignore with her close ranged DoT aura and increased damage from spreading stinging swarm

AESTHETICS

Quotes:

Champion Selection:
* cackle * ohh, this will be good.

Attacking:
Hmmmm... needs a little sand.
Now you see me...
I'll play nice *giggle*
*laughter *
Oh... that's not very fair now
I'll try not to be too abrasive
The poor thing...

Movement:
I'm parched
* laughter * I'm already there
This will be interesting
I'll make it just like home
All this walking...
I'm too old for this... (laughter) only joking...

Joke:
(naughtily) I've got sand in places that you don't even know exist
(dramatically) look upon my build, ye mighty, and despair.

Taunt:
(sharply) Look! Over there! (chuckling)Why do they all still fall for that...

Recall:
(slyly) they didn't even know I was here...
(disappointed) ohhhh, I was having such fun...

Ultimate Activation:
Slightly mad, exultant cackling

Artwork so far

Coming Soon

INDEPTH
Coming Soon

Q&A

Coming soon

Bolshoi

07-12-2012

.....I want to play her. I want to play her now

Tanky AP are some of my favorite champs to play. Swain, Karthus, Rumble, Morde, all are hilariously fun. She sounds like a great addition to the hard to kill nuisances I love playing.

I do have a question though. It sounds like All is Dust could be terribly broken if one build sufficiently tanky. Play safe and you'll rarely be pushed out of your lane. Build enough defense and regen, and, with the ult up, you'll be friggin invincible. Especially with a Warmogs.

No real suggestions at this time, but I think you might want to change that functionality a bit.

Thereisnosaurus

07-12-2012

Yes. The intent for all is dust is meant to make Asane pretty much invulnerable to wear and tear in the jungle or lane- odd auto attacks, glancing spells, minions getting ideas above their station and so on. It's also meant to be weak against anyone who can pull off a decent combo, which is about 90% of the champs in the league at this time. An Asane who builds super tanky is going to stalemate 1v1s but not be that much use in a team fight, nor as a pusher. There are relatively few AP/health regen items in the game so there's a tradeoff there. Building pure health only scales AiD's nuke, and when you think about that long enough you'll realise it's not super viable, since using that nuke completely negates all the passive benefits of AiD for the duration of a fight AND takes 10% of your health along with it, no matter how much you have.

Of course if you have something like a RoA/Rylais, it's a **** scary nuke if you're confident to take the hit, which is the point.

I imagine however that Asane's core, for jungling at least, will be philo stone/emblem of valor (to build a locket with a later HoG), along with 2 early levels in All is Dust to abuse the health regeneration. Once up that combo will give her something in the order of 65HP5 on her augmented health, with 25 armor to make jungling more forgiving.

If it makes her too sustainy, it will be simple enough to drop the passive down a bit and make it more manageable. Without the regen, it's a pretty lacklustre spell overall.

Thereisnosaurus

07-12-2012

FEROS (FEH-ROSS), THE METEOR'S HEART
Fighter-Jungler-Melee

Abstract:
Feros is a tanky bruiser whose speciality is bodyguarding and defending squishy teammates against opposing carries as opposed to assaulting from the getgo. His skillset also allows him to deter or punish assassins and other burst casters for going after his own team's squishies. He can also serve as an initiator. He can be played jungle or support, and situationally top and mid due to strong laning capabilities vs magic damage heavy champions as well as a passive that is highly effective against champions who rely on bursty damage combos to finish off a target. Combined with summoner heal or flash it can give Feros the tools to get out of an otherwise sure death situation.

Design Goals:
  • Design a defensive bruiser, suited to counter-initiation and team shielding through more subtle mechanics than stun or slow peels
  • design a bruiser strong against ranged AP to mix in against double AP compositions or allow alternate team arrangments by providing a strong scaling mid laner.
  • Design an aesthetically conflicted champ whose design includes both defensive/good and offensive/evil memes in opposition to fit his gameplay motifs

Lore:
The son of a smith in the borderlands between Demacia and Noxus, Feros one day felt a thunderclap ripple through the ground while gathering in the woods and saw a plume of smoke rising from the direction of his home. He hurried back, for even with the League's peace, skirmishes were not unheard of. He found the town utterly destroyed, not a single roof standing amidst the devastation. Strangely, there were no bodies lying about, no sign of his family or the other inhabitants at all. In the centre of the town, surrounded by a deep crater, Feros found the cause of the destruction.

A great, rough sphere of silvery-black stone lay there, a star fallen from the heavens. Feros found himself strangely drawn to the object. Sliding down into the crater despite the intense heat blistering his skin, he saw that it was covered in swirling threads of light that writhed and twisted in the haze. Before he had realised what he was doing, he had reached out and touched the glowing stone and, for a brief instant, felt a surge of terrible delight that was not his own. He began to flow in and out of consciousness, waking with the great rock suddenly inside the remains of his father's forge, then with his tools in hand, carving into the star.

Under the weeping sky he toiled as if in a dream, shaping plates from the star-iron and tracing weird sigils with spike and chisel. He felt himself press the still searing metal to his flesh, the pain a world away. Finally, all that remained was a final, mirrored plate that he raised to his face with a sound that was as much unearthly laugh as tortured scream. Taking up the twisting haft of the hammer he had forged from the core of the meteor, the ironclad shape of Feros set out towards the heart of magical power upon Valoran, the Institute of War.

Quote:
Feros' lore is strongly influenced by Lovecraftian horror stories and the concept of the 'evil meteor', an uncommon but recurring trope through many genres of fiction. I was first introduced to it in the form of Chronotrigger's Lavos, though Final Fantasy VII's Jenova is perhaps a more well known videogame example. Though not stated in this piece, Feros' quotes make it clear that he is not entirely consumed by the entity in the meteor and is struggling to defend Valoran against the creature that has taken him over, fitting his defensive, support mechanics. Ironically, his ultimate is meant to be the creature trying to spread its influence by marking an ally. His name is a simple derivative from the latin root Ferrum, or Iron.

STATS & ABILITIES

Statistics:
Health 450 (+95)
HP5: 6.0 (+0.8)
Mana 215 (+35)
MP5 4.0 (+0.3)
Dmg 52 (+3.2)
Armour 16 (+4)
MR 30 (+1.25)
Asp 0.58 (+3.2%)
Range 185
Move speed: 305

Quote:
Feros has a typical brusier stat-sheet, quite high health and health scaling, decent starting mana but low scaling. He has good armor and a very high range for a melee champion thanks to a long hafted hammer, but is very slow for a melee champion, forcing him to use his abilities to position and close distances.

Passive: Soul of Iron
If Feros would be dealt lethal damage, he is instead reduced to 1 health, all debuffs are cleared from Feros and he is rendered immune to damage for 1.5 seconds. This can only occur once every 180-40 seconds based on level.

Level 1 180 seconds / Level 6 120 seconds / Level 11 80 seconds/ Level 16 40 seconds

Quote:
This provides Feros an incentive to make himself an enemy target. This is quite a powerful passive on the face of it since it's essentially an automatic, perfectly timed kayle ult, but it is telegraphed (when available it will be clearly visible to enemies) and can be taken into account since it is predictable.
Q: Falling Star
(Active): Feros dashes forward and makes an arcing sweep of his hammer dealing physical damage and slowing enemies caught by the swing by 20% for 3 seconds. During the dash Feros is immune to crowd control effects and deals 50% damage to any unit he passes through.

Cooldown: 8/7/6/5/4 seconds
Mana cost: 50
Physical damage: 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage)( +0.2 per ability power)
Max dash length: 400
Dash speed: 800
Swing radius: 185, centred 185 in front of Feros

Quote:
A bread and butter mobility/damage ability. The two subtleties of this skill are a variable range similar to Hecarim ultimate and immunity to CC during the relatively slow dash. This latter allows a good Feros to bullrush into various CC characters to counter their abilities. Partly this is to give Feros potential in the mid lane against CC/burst casters like annie, veigar, ahri etc, partly to reward him for standing in front of a carry and bodyblocking or 'catching' incoming spells and CC effects aimed at them.
W: Starforged Armor
(Passive): Feros shields himself, absorbing magic damage. Once depleted, the shield will automatically refresh after a short period.

(Active):Feros instantly refreshes the shield and causes a percentage of the damage it absorbs to be reflected back at the caster as magic damage for 5 seconds.

Shield strength: 15/45/75/115/145 (+0.5 per point of armour)
Shield refresh delay: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds
Active cost: 35 mana
Active cooldown: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds
Damage reflection percentage: 20/40/60/80/100%

Quote:
Starforged armour is an anti-mage ability that allows Feros to absorb poke and if quick punish an enemy mage poking him. The activated ability also provides a way of punishing harass or poke and a fight reversal tool . The passive shield is not large, but it comes up for free regularly which gives Feros a chance to put on a little pressure and trade advantageously in lane while not draining his small mana pool. In team situations it rewards Feros for standing in front of squishies directly, allowing him to absorb damage meant for them and bounce some of it back
E: Earth Shatter
(Active): Feros readies himself for a mighty strike by channelling for 1.5 seconds and then leaps to target location, dealing massive magic damage to all units in the area, knocking them up and stunning them for 1.5 seconds. Earth Shatter deals 200% damage to minions, monsters and buildings.

Mana cost: 100 mana
Cooldown: 14 seconds
range to center of AOE: 400/600/800/1000/1200
AoE radius: 300
magic damage: 120/170/220/270/320 (+0.8 per ability power) (+0.4 per attack damage)

Quote:
Earth shatter is a powerful and versatile ability. It can be used as a farming and jungling tool thanks to exceptional damage against creeps. It acts as a pushing steroid against towers, an initiation tool and a zoning tool to punish enemies attempting to assault teammates in melee (by dropping earthshatter on top of them). It is however extremely telegraphed so other players can easily avoid the area of effect under normal circumstances and requires a channel so it can be interrupted by quick opponents before it even gets off the ground.
R: Chosen of the Stars
(Passive):increases bonus movement speed, health, armour, magic resistance and tenacity gained from items

(Active): grants a friendly champion 40% of Feros's armour and magic resistance for 8 seconds

During this time Chosen of the Stars may be reactivated at any time, causing Feros to channel for 0.5 seconds before teleporting directly in front of the allied champion.

Passive stat increase: 5/10/15%
Cooldown: 120/90/60 seconds
Mana cost: 100 mana
Active range: 400/800/1200

Quote:
Like many ultimates, this defines Feros's role in a large battle. It allows him to defend a teammate both passively and actively while giving him the tankiness to do it effectively even while underfed from jungling or support. The teleport can be used in combination with Feros's Q and E to make him very mobile in the opening moments of a teamfight, similar to leblanc, but this mobility is short lived and Feros will need to rely on his inherent tankyness, scaling and ability to brawl after the initial stages of a teamfight by simply zoning through presence rather than being a reliable DPS source. The primary scaling component of Chosen of the Stars is its range. Initially he must remain extremely close to his target to cast the ability, but at higher levels it has a very long range and so Feros has more positioning options.

AESTHETICS

Quotes:

Champion Selection:
I will... not... falter!

Attacking:
I cannot be stopped
Stay back
Let it end now, let it end.
I... Crush them...
You do not know the meaning of pain
Nothing can slay me

Movement:
One more step
I can see so clearly now
The stars are right
Abandon all hope
The sleeper has wakened
I am coming

Joke:
Wgah'nagl fhtagn! *cough cough* sorry, something stuck... in my.. throat

Taunt:
The world ends with you!

Recall:
I... will not... do this anymore
I.... What... what am I doing here.

Ultimate Activation:
(star voice) Feel the breath of ancient stars!
(star voice) Drink deep of my power!

Death:
Th... Thank you

Artwork so far

Coming Soon

INDEPTH

Coming Soon

Q&A

Coming soon

LordArchanon

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thereisnosaurus View Post
FEROS (FEH-ROSS), THE METEOR'S HEART
Fighter-Jungler-Melee
I would literally ban him every single game. Seriously. His kit is obscenely good, and his numbers seem pretty good as well. Certainly not bad enough to balance the rest of the absurd stuff he does.

Thereisnosaurus

07-13-2012

From discussion with Arch, points of contention are primarily

1) his passive too stronk
2) his W also too good since it allows him to stack armour and still gain anti-magic tankyness.

Would like further considerations on these, but am aware of them

Thereisnosaurus

07-13-2012

RUEGAL(RHU-GAAL), THE MERCY OF DEMACIA
Mage-Ranged-Assassin

Abstract:
Ruegal is a mage with a torture aesthetic and the potential to be played as an aggressive support, ap carry or anti-carry. His kit gives him strong control abilities and punishes enemies for being greedy or impulsive. He becomes progressively more dangerous over the course of a fight, especially if allowed to focus on a single target. He has strong zoning capabilities in lane and the ability to shutdown multiple incoming enemies, but otherwise has few defensive options, so well timed ganks that take advantage of his cooldowns are likely to kill him with little damage taken in return.

Design Goals:
  • develop a Demacian character whose lore fits the harsher/darker aspects of demacian culture while still having a veneer of good/heroism. The intent is to be unsettling but not outright evil, similar to lux's primary lore/judgement contrast.
  • Design a character whose core mechanics is forcing enemy players into situations where they must make choices and use player skill to influence them to choose badly
  • Design a champion who is a competitive option as mid and as support, something currently lacking in many support champs.

Lore:
On the field of battle, Demacian justice is swift and sharp, but not all crimes are committed in war. Demacia's justice is served by a body of courts of ancient lineage, renowned for upholding the spirit of their homeland, harsh but just. Demacia never executes a man who has not acknowledged his guilt so, while most often the discipline instilled in all Demacians allows those accused to die with honour, sometimes a craven will seek to hide behind their lies and deceit. It is for this purpose that the office of Mercy exists. It is the duty of the Mercy of Demacia to seek the truth, to draw it forth from the lips of those who are blind to the justness of Demacia's law.

Ruegal Whitecloak is the current Mercy of Demacia. The Whitecloaks have been stewards of the office for centuries and the family understands many ways of discovering the truth. Ruegal is soft-spoken and unassuming, living only for the duty of his office, living in simple quarters in the palace grounds. Even when the pleading denials of those brought to him become choked screams Ruegal's gentle expression and kindly tone never wavers. He knows that the truth will out and when it does, he is quick to grant the mercy all liars seek. In the light of recent events, Jarvan Lightshield the Third has decreed that there are some upon the fields of justice who present a false face. He has sent Ruegal Whitecloak to uncover the truth and, when it is brought into the light before all Valoran, to grant mercy to those who have wronged Demacia.

Quote:
Notes coming soon

STATS & ABILITIES

Statistics:
Health 415 (+85)
HP5: 4.5 (+0.45)
Mana 250 (+50)
MP5 7 (+0.7)
Dmg 48 (+3.2)
Armour 6 (+3.5)
MR 30 (+0)
Asp 0.7 (+2.6%)
Range 550
Move speed: 315

Quote:
Ruegal has a mage's stat sheet, a bit more durable than the squishier of AP champs thanks to his extended trade playstyle. He has above average movement speed, health and health scaling and a fast attack speed to enable easy application of his passive, though since attack speed varies at level one over less than a tenth of a second, this is probably not very noticeable. To compensate for this however he does have exceptionally low base armor, lower than any champ in the game at this time, so those attacks that do get through his passive will count.

Passive: Repentance
Ruegal's auto-attacks apply Repentance, which reduces the enemy's auto-attack damage for 5 seconds. If the enemy attacks a champion, Repentance is consumed, dealing magic damage.

Damage reduction: 20% level 1 /35% level 6 /50% level 11
Magic damage on trigger: 12+(6 x level)

Quote:
Repentance is a core effect around which Ruegal's gameplay is built. It allows him to trade extremely well with enemies and harass freely. It should be noted that while the debuff applies for 5 seconds so long as an enemy does not attack a champion, it is consumed and must be re-applied after a single AA against a champ, so in order to markedly decrease an enemy's DPS against champs, Ruegal must stand still and AA them constantly. Even so, this passive makes trading with Ruegal a fool's game for AD champs, forcing enemies to rely on burst trades. Like most of Ruegal's key effects, Repentance relies on an enemy to make the decision to take the damage, rather than placing it wholly under the control of Ruegal himself.
Q: Brand
(Active): Ruegal brands an enemy, reducing healing and regeneration and dealing magic damage over 4 seconds. Brand can stack, increasing the healing and regeneration reduction and magic damage over time.

Mana Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 mana
Range: 550
Cooldown: 5/4.5/4/3.5/3 seconds
Magic Damage: 50/80/110/140/170 (+0.4 per ability power)
Healing/Regen debuff: 4/8/12/16/20%

Quote:
Brand is a weak damage over time spell that nevertheless gives Ruegal extremely potent zoning capabilities. While a single stack of Brand is mana inefficient and does little damage, a second stack starts to become dangerous and a third can push an enemy out of lane or even kill them if the stacks were applied when they were quite low. Not only this, but a high uptime of brand on an enemy champion in lane can markedly decrease the effectiveness of their sustain tools, from potions to spellvamp. This makes ruegal a serious threat to bruisers who rely on such tools in top lane as well. Combined with Repentance, Ruegal can seriously annoy anyone in lane against him by making them take a constant, minor stream of damage that will spike if the enemy tries to get rid of him.
W: Iron Maiden
(Active): Ruegal summons sharp chains to hold an enemy champion, dealing magic damage and slowing them. If the champion moves while under the effects of Iron Maiden, they take additional magic damage and are slowed further for each 100 distance moved. Blink effects do not count as moving, though dashes do.

Mana Cost: 80/90/100/110/120
Range: 500
Cooldown: 15/14/13/12/11 seconds
Duration: 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds
Magic damage: 25/50/75/100/125(+0.2 per ability power)
Slow: 3/5/7/9/11%

Quote:
Another signature ability based around making an enemy make extremely unpleasant choices. Iron maiden does not disable an enemy completely but gives them an effective movement area of perhaps 600 units before they are crippled, and taking unsustainable damage. Iron maiden has quite a short range compared to most CC, so it is not an ideal initiation tool and is better used mid-fight where enemies are acting reflexively. The built in stacking slow acts as both a tool for Ruegal and a soft limit on the damage done by the ability, since it will take an enemy longer and longer to travel the distance required for more damage.
E: Conviction
(Active): Ruegal consumes all nearby Repentance effects, causing each affected enemy to take magic damage and deal further magic damage in a small area. Ruegal regains mana for each enemy slain by this effect.

Mana Cost: 75
Range: 800
Cooldown: 12/11/8/9/7 seconds
Magic damage (main): 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.6 per ability power)
magic damage (AOE): 30/50/70/90/110 (+0.3 per ability power)
AOE radius: 300
Mana restored: 20/25/30/35/40.

Quote:
Conviction is Ruegal's primary farming tool as well as an interesting option in teamfights, though one which requires extremely precise timing since enemies will be attacking champions and thus removing Repentance debuffs as Ruegal applies them. Deciding whether to apply the debuff to one champion and instantly use conviction for a single target nuke safely, or attempt to apply it to two or more champs before they attack for more significant AOE damage. This spell will likely need adjustment as it feels a little clunky at the moment
R: Demacian Mercy
(Active): Ruegal grants an enemy champion his mercy, dealing magic damage and consuming all Repentance, Brand and Iron Maiden effects, dealing further magic damage for each consumed effect (each stack is considered a separate effect). If Demacian Mercy deals a killing blow, Ruegal is healed for 50% of the damage done.

Mana Cost: 100
Range: 700
Cooldown: 120/100/80 seconds
Magic damage: 80/140/200 (+0.4 per ability power)
Magic damage per effect consumed: 30/50/70 (+0.2 per ability power)

Quote:
Demacian Mercy is a payoff/execution ultimate. In an ideal scenario Ruegal wants to apply 3-4 stacks of brand immediately followed by an iron maiden and auto attack. If the enemy attempts to escape, use mercy once they have moved a little distance since Iron Maiden stacks quite quickly. If they stay still, use the opportunity to reposition, apply a further stack of brand which will deal massive damage over time and chase for a reduced damage ult near the end of that stack. In reality, Using a suboptimal mercy cast is more likely, most of Ruegal's strength comes from his regular abilities, Mercy is just there to reward good play and punish enemy mistakes harder in the mid/late game.

AESTHETICS

Quotes:

Champion Selection:
Let us seek the truth together this day

Attacking:
The ends justify the means
The truth hurts
I will discover their sins
Don't fight it
Stay awhile
I'm sure we'll get along

Movement:
Come now
Duty waits for no man
Demacia will have the truth
It shall be done
secrets and lies
do not underestimate me.
All good things take time.

Joke:
Pain is weakness leaving the body

Taunt:
All men must die. Yordles, robots and drooling horrors from beyond the void as well. I'm not picky

Recall:
And so the light shines forth.
I shall let them consider their answers.

Ultimate Activation:
Apology accepted
Depart in peace

Death:
(gasping) Demacia.....

Artwork so far

Coming Soon

INDEPTH

Coming Soon

Q&A

Coming soon

King of Ferrets

07-13-2012

Big problem with Ruegal: placing a large burden of knowledge on the enemy player. If they don't know exactly what he does, Bad Things happen to them. Sadly, I think this would be a problem any time you wanted to create a character with the goal of making people choose between two evils; they have to know what happens when they do X or they do Y to be able to really "choose". Maybe a detailed in-game effect for the ability would be able to convey the idea, but... would be pretty hard with Ruegal's, I think.