Ability Remake: Evelynn, the Widowmaker

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dehriel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
In an upcoming patch we’ll be revisiting two of the first champions to grace the Fields of Justice: Twitch, the Plague Rat, and Evelynn, the Widowmaker. These champions haven’t been as viable as we’d like them to be due to problematic long-term stealth mechanics. For Evelynn, her core ability Shadow Walk allowed her to remain invisible for long periods of time, ultimately forcing players to stay on the defensive and favor cautious play. Since we want the action to remain a fun and fluid experience throughout the match, we decided to update these champions with some new stealth abilities.

[aws2=news/July_2012/2012_07_11_Evelynn_Reveal/Evelynn_comic.jpg]news/July_2012/2012_07_11_Evelynn_Reveal/Evelynn_comic_thumb.jpg[/aws2]

Because Evelynn has always been the consummate assassin in League of Legends, we really wanted to preserve that bloodthirsty feeling of stalking an enemy champion. Instead of traditional invisibility, however, we decided to retool Shadow Walk into a new form of persistent stealth. Whenever Evelynn is out of combat, this passive version of Shadow Walk will kick in after a short period of time, reducing the range at which enemy champions can see her. Additionally, while in this state Evelynn will be invisible to all Sight Wards and minions, though turrets and Vision Wards will still be able to spot her as normal.

This new version of Shadow Walk will allow Evelynn to close in on an enemy, positioning herself closer to melee range while she waits for the opportune moment to attack. To help her initiate in an appropriately predatory manner, her new Dark Frenzy ability can give her the Movement Speed boost she needs to quickly close the distance on an unsuspecting target. Additionally, we’ve modified Ravage so that it not only functions as a nuke but also provides an Attack Speed bonus to help her quickly take down her victim. Should she score a kill or assist, the cooldown on Dark Frenzy is reset, allowing her to either redouble the attack or escape and vanish as quickly as she came.

Evelynn also faced challenges participating in team fights. To give her some additional staying power when entering the fray, Evelynn can employ her new ultimate ability Agony’s Embrace. This new ultimate targets an area, dealing damage and slowing the enemies it hits. In addition to its offensive effects, Agony’s Embrace also grants Evelynn a significant damage shield for each enemy champion caught within the target area.

Combined with the strategic advantage of Shadow Walk, this shield can give the Widowmaker the tactical advantage she needs to quickly reach and tear down a high value target in a team fight. For even more added punch in these group situations, we’ve also increased the range on Hate Spike and updated it to strike multiple enemy targets in a line each time it’s cast. This added team fight utility combines with Evelynn’s new persistent stealth to keep her alive and dangerous even in the more advanced stages of the game when group action is more prevalent.

Abilities

• Shadow Walk (Passive): While out of combat, Evelynn enters stealth causing her to be detectable only by nearby champions or true sight. Additionally, Evelynn rapidly regenerates Mana while stealthed.
  • Hate Spike: Evelynn fires a line of spikes through a nearby adversary, dealing magic damage to all enemies caught in their path.
  • Dark Frenzy:
    • Passive: Evelynn’s spell hits grant her a stacking Movement Speed buff.
    • Active: Evelynn breaks free from any slows affecting her and gains a massive Movement Speed boost for a short duration.
    • Champion kills and assists refresh Dark Frenzy's cooldown.
  • Ravage: Evelynn slashes her target twice, dealing magic damage with each strike and gaining a massive Attack Speed boost for a short duration thereafter.
  • Agony’s Embrace: Evelynn impales all enemies in a target area, dealing magic damage based on their maximum health and slowing them. She then gains a shield based on how many enemy champions she hit.
This whole thing is just ****. Eve was already an amazing champ, people just assumed she was bad. You're taking away the key stealth feature for this ****ty one because you hate people with skill that can actually use it well. You have once again screwed the League community with this patch, quit playing bot games and experience real gamers. I mean really do you guys even have game testers? I hate to see what you're going to do with twitch. Focus on what needs to be fixed, like broken chars or glitchy skins, and stop trying to fix what is not broke. She needed her stealth, now she cant even face check bushes without being seen. Teemo's stealth is better then her's now. Also she was never ment to be a team fighter, she's an assassin. I mean you don't see champions like talon doing team fighting. No they are anti carry assassins. She was ment to sneak in the back door and get the carry. But now you screwed that and made her just a basic run of the mill solo top champion. All together, I'd like to say thank you to Riot for once again proving that they are ****.

o L Y C A N o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiWhiteFox View Post
the way her passive works is, while not in battle, she remains invisible and undetectable even by sight wards. so, she could be jungling, go to gank top, stand in a bush WITH a sight ward, and she will still not be seen until she comes out of her passive. also, her passive does not work on turrets, true vision (ie Vision Wards), and she can also be seen once she gets close enough to an enemy champ. Oracles are pointless because it's range is *less* than that of the enemy champs vision. it's a balance. it's not so OP that the enemies have no way of winning, but it gives her a GREAT advantage if used correctly
Not really

As soon as she leave the bush she will be noticed by the enemy champion and with no gap close she needs a laner with hard cc to complete a kill gank. If the laner has no cc then the enemy will just walk back to tower and laugh at how useless she become.

At least the old eve could gank properly this one doesnt even stand a chance unless she ult's every gank or the laner has a hard cc other then that shes fkd

GJ riot made eve more useless

Resol Random

07-12-2012

First off I always felt the main issue with eve was not that she was under powered in damage output but in the ability to stay IN the fight. She always was best of your team played more of a dota style of "X" player needs the killing blow.

But as to the changes... well cool

Quote:
Evelynn enters stealth causing her to be detectable only by nearby champions
Depending on the distance that 'nearby' is at seems cool but i will miss the Sunfire eve ward tactic :-)

Quote:
Hate Spike
Well if this skill still has a near 0 CD then WOW

Quote:
Dark Frenzy:
Active: Evelynn breaks free from any slows affecting her and gains a massive Movement Speed boost for a short duration.
Champion kills and assists refresh Dark Frenzy's cooldown.
The active part of this skill is where I feel the REAL improvment for Eve is at, and the refresh of the CD is just soooo cool

Quote:
Ravage: Evelynn slashes her target twice, dealing magic damage with each strike and gaining a massive Attack Speed boost for a short duration thereafter.
Also a VERY nice change to the skill and love the fact it opens other builds then just nuke and run away.

Quote:
Agony’s Embrace:
Now she can stick around LOVE it.

BUT .....
Quote:
Twitch, the Plague Rat
Whats wrong with the rat other then paper skin and an OP slow?

XO Saucerer

07-12-2012

i miss the old eve, the old eve is the best.

Eye Candy

07-12-2012

So since Eve and Twitch are going to be remade, how about give them new champion spotlights, Riot?

ItSoCuggaly

07-12-2012

so this patch that just happened, was that the eve remake?

major2master

07-12-2012

Removes all slows... who does that remind you of. YAR' HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE BEING A PIRATE IS ALRIGHT WITH ME!!!! sounds like more GP oranges. THE CHAMPIONS ARE BECOMING VEGETARIANS! Hmmm for warwick what would be, Juice scent?

hobocookie

07-12-2012

Yesssss, good Riot. Reading my mind.

DarkShady666

07-12-2012

Wut, I got 120 MB update then I got nothing changed?

adrian05

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Fetcher View Post
I can't wait for the new eve, but i will also miss the old eve.
u for real?