Ahri, Morgana, or Anivia?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Blue Jelly

07-11-2012

Basically.. If you're good with Anivia, she's a great choice for pretty much anything except having a Jungle Amumu (or similar blue-reliant jungler). Your blue dependency is your only real glaring weakness, and your egg is a huge advantage early (a lot of mages need to blow all their CDs for a kill; Ahri especially, actually. Ahri should pretty much never get an early kill on an Anivia without some heav Jungler support).

Ahri's all about getting inside your opponent's head. I'd recommend picking her up both because she makes her lane skill-based almost entirely (meaning the "I play that champ" advantage vs her is pretty powerful), she's fun, and she'll pretty quickly get you better at predicting your opponents (as that's what she needs to do all game).

Morgana is an incredibly safe pick, able to be a threat even when feeding. Pick her up at the very least for use in "oh**** this enemy mid is gonna be like 91841923x better than me " situations, because it's **** near impossible to *fail* at Morganna, unless you're god's gift to missing skillshots XD

RayDrazon

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Jelly View Post
Ryze can't win trades early even remotely. He "counters" Ahri late-game not early game, and the only reason everyone says Ryze counters her is because a solomid Ryze guide said he did when she was rather new. You know, when nobody *really* knew what they were doing, and didn't realize that in order to do more than Q at you (which makes him easy to land a Q against btw), he holds still within range of 2-3 foxfires and usually with a clear shot for Charm. Seriously, unless the Ahri player is downright terrible, she should never lose her lane to Ryze.

Annie is too short-ranged and holding onto her stun usually makes her lose farm. She's dangerous, and can often force Mercs instead of Sorcs, but if Ahri can lock in on her groove, Stunbear's gonna miss.

Swain's very similar to mirrors- you likely aren't going to get kills in-lane. More of a stalemate than anything. Side lanes win games.

LeBlink is the most fun an Ahri can have (satisfying fun, not stomp fun), as the lane will always go to who does a better job of prediction. Very volatile lane.

Cass can be baited into letting you land your full QEW combo on her in exchange for 1, maybe 2 hits. Like really, Cass is easy. Just gotta drink some vodka and turn up the speakers, 'cause when she gasps, you gotta do a Crazy Ivan.

Veigar. Crazy Ivan > Veigar. If he can't stun you, QR is his only damage, and Ahri rushes survivability not AP lol

Morde, no CC, GG unless Ahri's stupid.

Badimir, no CC, GG unless Ahri's stupid or you have no jungler to get you blue or let you back.

Kass, Ahri's got TROOOO damage, a lovely AA, a melee punish, and more burst-maneuverability. Medium-hard lane, impossible if you don't know the trick, but 90% of the time Kass will be cocky because he's an antimage vs a mage, and thus underestimates your spunk. Plus the trick is counter-intuitive as fk, and thus is as unexpected as the Spanish Inquisition.

Mantheon, Ahri can cham him while he tries to leapstun, interrupting that combo. Eeyup.

Malz? His voidlings will tank charm every time, but his only real threat to her is his mana sustain and his ult. QSS and Blue Buff or Chalice, and you've trounced his advantages. Or, just don't tower dive him lol. He's safer against her than most, but he doesn't exactly counter her.

Like really, Ahri's only "counter" in-lane is Talon. All she can do vs him is max W, rush armor, and hope for the best. Can't charm him out of his committed combo unless you predict it perfectly (and by perfectly I mean within milliseconds of him going for it), and his early damage is obscene. Not impossible, but definitely an insanely hard lane.
Other than that, it's boots. She's countered by boots lol

As for Anivia's ban rate, it's quite low because she's quite difficult to play and equally rare. Ahri was a bit of a fotm not too long ago, so yeah.
Thanks for the detailed response. What is "fotm" though?

I'm still really not sure which champions are the ones I should choose though...

According to Elementz's Ap Carry Tier List, he places Ahri, then Morgana, then finally Anivia and they are all in tier 1.

How accurate is Elementz's Tier List? Should I rely on it at all?

Link: http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-li...ower-champions

The Blue Jelly

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuugen Tenko View Post
@ The Blue Jelly

I agree on every point on Ahri except for the fact that she has "no" real counters because champs that can zone the lane and limit her ability to position herself can counter her pretty hard since all of her skills rely on either her positioning or her opponent's. A good Malzahar, for example, can mess up the entire lane, not let her farm and free farm himself while he's at it, granted that makes him really vulnerable to a gank. Also a good snare can mess up Ahri or if they send a good Malphite mid that will just screw up her day cause its just not expected, herp derp im mal you cant poke me and turrets tickle granted at that point you just trade lanes with top

EDIT: damit you posted all that before i did and you reasoned everything
Yeah, you can mess up her lane, but it's still required that you out-play her. Some champions have a kit better suited to it (such as Malz's zoning), but a well-played Ahri is going to basically Chuck Testa everything you try to do. She's a very good pick if you're good, as you can switch into practically anything with her =P

And yeah I do stuff like that a lot =P Still <3 for you being pretty accurate... Just you gotta remember, Zoning is a skill-based effect.

RayDrazon

07-11-2012

Quote:
Basically.. If you're good with Anivia, she's a great choice for pretty much anything except having a Jungle Amumu (or similar blue-reliant jungler). Your blue dependency is your only real glaring weakness, and your egg is a huge advantage early (a lot of mages need to blow all their CDs for a kill; Ahri especially, actually. Ahri should pretty much never get an early kill on an Anivia without some heav Jungler support).

Ahri's all about getting inside your opponent's head. I'd recommend picking her up both because she makes her lane skill-based almost entirely (meaning the "I play that champ" advantage vs her is pretty powerful), she's fun, and she'll pretty quickly get you better at predicting your opponents (as that's what she needs to do all game).

Morgana is an incredibly safe pick, able to be a threat even when feeding. Pick her up at the very least for use in "oh**** this enemy mid is gonna be like 91841923x better than me " situations, because it's **** near impossible to *fail* at Morganna, unless you're god's gift to missing skillshots XD
As of the moment, I only have around 1400 IP, just enough to buy Morgana. Should I buy her or save up for Ahri or just continue playing Anivia? I would've bought both Morgana and Ahri if I had the IP or RP but that is not the case...

The Blue Jelly

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRayDrazonx View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. What is "fotm" though?

I'm still really not sure which champions are the ones I should choose though...

According to Elementz's Ap Carry Tier List, he places Ahri, then Morgana, then finally Anivia and they are all in tier 1.

How accurate is Elementz's Tier List? Should I rely on it at all?

Link: http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-li...ower-champions
Flavor of the Month. Basically, someone sees some pro do super-well with a champion in a particular role, and then everyone feels they need to play that champion like that. Hilarity (usually) ensues, due to people thinking that they can just copy the pros and do just as well XD

Elementz's list (and to a similar extent, all of the other lists on that site) is notoriously bad. HOWEVER. His REASONING for his placements is all very sound and good. If you pay attention to it, don't pay attention to the tiers themselves, pay attention to why he moved champions around in them the way he did. He's got a lot of really good points on how champions work and play out... it's just the tiers themselves are kinda stupid in a game where raw skill can make such an overwhelming override of the raw strength of a champion.

The Blue Jelly

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRayDrazonx View Post
As of the moment, I only have around 1400 IP, just enough to buy Morgana. Should I buy her or save up for Ahri or just continue playing Anivia? I would've bought both Morgana and Ahri if I had the IP or RP but that is not the case...
Uh, I'd say pick up Morg, fiddle with her enough so you're comfortable, but mostly focus on getting even better with Anivia ('cause she's scary when played well). If you find you prefer Morg's style over Anivia's, then by all means switch mains. Ahri is a good one to save up for, but 6300 is a long ways away, and having at least two good, solid picks for mage mid is always a good thing. Also note, you *can* actually play Morg as a Support in Bot Lane rather effectively, taking advantage of her incredibly low requirement to be a huge threat in teamfights.

However.

Right now, you're still level 18- pretty early in your League career, and level 20 is coming up... Consider picking up at the very least a full page of Tier 1 runes (half the effect of T3, at the price of dirt (you can get up to 10 with just the 150 IP from a first win of the day)), and then mostly look for more champions you like playing. T1 runes are amazing placeholders due to how inexpensive they are. However, I would suggest aiming to pick up three T3 "universal" quints by the time you hit 30. Movespeed and Flat Health are the two best universal quints- they're good on literally everyone. I suggest movespeed, since mobility is OP, and they're especially good mid against skillshot users.

RayDrazon

07-11-2012

Quote:
Flavor of the Month. Basically, someone sees some pro do super-well with a champion in a particular role, and then everyone feels they need to play that champion like that. Hilarity (usually) ensues, due to people thinking that they can just copy the pros and do just as well XD

Elementz's list (and to a similar extent, all of the other lists on that site) is notoriously bad. HOWEVER. His REASONING for his placements is all very sound and good. If you pay attention to it, don't pay attention to the tiers themselves, pay attention to why he moved champions around in them the way he did. He's got a lot of really good points on how champions work and play out... it's just the tiers themselves are kinda stupid in a game where raw skill can make such an overwhelming override of the raw strength of a champion.
I read the reasonings and why he put the champions where they were. However, I still do not know whether I should play as Anivia, Morgana, Or Ahri.

Anivia is in the first tier because she does well in competitive play and has great utility.

Ahri has good versatility, sustain, and can easily kite people.

Morgana is just in Tier 1 ever since Elementz started the tiers and she was never moved so there was no reason of why she's good; she was just there consistantly.

I just don't know which too choose O.o

They all seem great but I only have enough money to buy Morgana or save up for Ahri...

RayDrazon

07-11-2012

Quote:
Uh, I'd say pick up Morg, fiddle with her enough so you're comfortable, but mostly focus on getting even better with Anivia ('cause she's scary when played well). If you find you prefer Morg's style over Anivia's, then by all means switch mains. Ahri is a good one to save up for, but 6300 is a long ways away, and having at least two good, solid picks for mage mid is always a good thing. Also note, you *can* actually play Morg as a Support in Bot Lane rather effectively, taking advantage of her incredibly low requirement to be a huge threat in teamfights.

However.

Right now, you're still level 18- pretty early in your League career, and level 20 is coming up... Consider picking up at the very least a full page of Tier 1 runes (half the effect of T3, at the price of dirt (you can get up to 10 with just the 150 IP from a first win of the day)), and then mostly look for more champions you like playing. T1 runes are amazing placeholders due to how inexpensive they are. However, I would suggest aiming to pick up three T3 "universal" quints by the time you hit 30. Movespeed and Flat Health are the two best universal quints- they're good on literally everyone. I suggest movespeed, since mobility is OP, and they're especially good mid against skillshot users.
I never really considered about runes...

Now I have to take that into account too O.o

Would it be better just to buy Tier 1 runes or should I save up IP to buy Tier 3 runes when I reach level 20?

Also, approximately how much IP does it cost to buy enough Tier 1 runes for a while rune page?

Kuugen Tenko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

07-11-2012

I saved up for tier 3 runes, then again i played with no masteries or runes until i hit level 30 cause i was just too lazy to bother with it. But I would do as the Jelly says and pick up Morg play around with her or get better with Aniv cause it is a team game and being able to play multiple mages is better than being great with just one (I would know, I played only Shvy solo top until I was level 30 now I dont know how to play her anywhere else other than getting to the point where I'll 1v2 or 1v3 in top and never leaving lane then comes the bans and counter picks and I get royally ****ed XD)

Morg is really fun and really annoying with that spell shield also I find being able to sustain in lane is much easier with her than Ahri since it takes time to build the spell vamp on Ahri as opposed to Morgs

Anivia, well I hate blue eggs

Nea De Penserhir

07-11-2012

Different champs for different needs.

Anivia for incredible late game power
Morgana for safe wave clearing and incredibly annoying late game role
Ahri for roaming and poke oriented teams.