Jayce - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

07-11-2012
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Hello, Lore Forums!

It's time for another character Q&A, this time featuring Jayce, the Defender of Tomorrow. Hope you've had the chance to see him in action on the Fields of Justice and catch up on his backstory. If you have any questions about his origins, personality or place in the world, feel free to ask!

For reference, here's his lore:

Quote:
Armed with wit, charm, and his signature transforming hammer, Jayce lives to protect his native Piltover. Long before his nation called him a hero, however, he was a promising young inventor. When Piltover commissioned him to study a rare arcane crystal, Jayce discovered it could be used as a vast energy source. Eager to make a name for himself, he began developing a device to harness its power. Word of the crystal’s potential reached beyond the borders of Piltover. Viktor, the machine-augmented scientist from Zaun, brought Jayce an offer - together, they could use the crystal to advance his “glorious evolution,” a vision of humanity fused with technology. Jayce refused, but the Zaunite had no intention of leaving empty handed. He effortlessly blasted Jayce aside and seized the crystal, incinerating the lab's meager security force as he left for Zaun. Jayce implored the Piltover government to respond, but the officials refused to support an act of aggression. He decided to act alone, realizing that if no one struck back, Piltover would never be safe.

Jayce returned to the lab to prepare for his attack. After intense research, development, and hands-on testing, he emerged with his crowning achievement - the Mercury Hammer. Weapon in hand, Jayce marched to Zaun and began his one-man assault. Viktor's acolytes rushed to stop him, but Jayce smashed them aside, fighting his way into the heart of the lab. Inside, Jayce saw the horrifying brilliance of Viktor’s creations, all powered by the energy of the arcane crystal. He realized that his only option was to destroy the power source, but Viktor stood in his way. Though their clash left both scientists heavily wounded, Jayce managed a desperate strike at the crystal. He shattered it and escaped as Viktor’s machines erupted in flames. When he returned home, exhausted but victorious, the citizens of Piltover hailed Jayce as a hero. He reveled in the adoration, but knew that his actions had drawn the attention of dangerous enemies. Now devoted to the defense of his people, Jayce is Piltover's best hope for a bright future
"Trust me: if we're smart, Piltover can stand strong against any threat. Hey, I'm living proof." - Jayce

AhhShucks

07-11-2012

Wow that lore is way better. Great job with it guys!

Zerglinator

07-11-2012

Awesome, love you Harrow!

So then...

Jayce and Caitlyn. Do they work together? Do they have a hilarious love/hate partnership going on? I hope so.

Has Jayce set up Acceleration Gates for fast transit around Piltover?

And has he researched local Piltover explorer Ezreal's newly found Pulsefire technology?

Vendorizer

07-11-2012

Do you like waffles?

st0pb0t

07-11-2012

Glad to see you guys didn't forget about this.

Can we have some specifics about Jayce's weapon? Is it hextech, just mechanical, or something else? Is it also stronger than Poppy's hammer, which seems fairly ordinary by comparison?

Cookiehime

07-11-2012

Love the new story!

Questions:

1. Where does this arcane crystal come from?

2. Does Viktor see Jayce as an equal/partner, or a tool?

3. What's going to happen between Piltover and Zaun after Jayce's counterattack?

Johnzeee

07-11-2012

Looking at the artwork for Caitlyn and Jayce, even though they both hail from Piltover, it seems like Caitlyn has a steampunk vibe going on (her rifle and clothes), whereas Jayce has a more "futuristic" getup (his hammer seems much more technologically abstract).

Does Jayce just have different technology available than Caitlyn does based on his history with Viktor? Which of the two "themes" are more of what is common in Piltover?

The Fizznity

07-11-2012

Does this arcane crystal have anything to do with the crystals in Blight Crystal Varus (i know i know skins aren't canon)?

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

07-11-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Jayce and Caitlyn. Do they work together? Do they have a hilarious love/hate partnership going on? I hope so.

Has Jayce set up Acceleration Gates for fast transit around Piltover?

And has he researched local Piltover explorer Ezreal's newly found Pulsefire technology?
While Jayce isn't an official member of Piltover law enforcement, I imagine they'll cross paths pretty frequently now. I think Caitlyn would strongly disapprove of Jayce assaulting a foreign national after government officials chose not to. Caitlyn's calm, collected and dedicated to upholding Piltover law, while Jayce is more rash and likely to act without a comprehensive plan. There'd definitely be some tension there.

Heh, no, the Acceleration Gates are a fairly recent invention and while he might want to put them all over Piltover, he'd have to get a proposal past Piltovian bureaucracy first. Piltover loves beneficial, sustainable, safe technology, and it's debatable whether it's in their best interest to have people running around the streets at accelerated speeds.

Pulsefire technology isn't canon - sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Bot View Post
Can we have some specifics about Jayce's weapon? Is it hextech, just mechanical, or something else? Is it also stronger than Poppy's hammer, which seems fairly ordinary by comparison?
It's Hextech. Since Jayce was commissioned to study the arcane crystal, I imagine he was already recognized as an expert on techmaturgical power sources, so his hammer is powered by a far less powerful version of the same energy. Poppy's hammer is an example of fine blacksmithing - I would expect it to be sturdier and better weighted than the Mercury Hammer, but obviously lacks the versatility than Jayce's technology provides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiehime View Post

1. Where does this arcane crystal come from?

2. Does Viktor see Jayce as an equal/partner, or a tool?

3. What's going to happen between Piltover and Zaun after Jayce's counterattack?
1. I imagine it was excavated during a deep mining operation. Piltover is always on the lookout for new resources to aid their technological progress.

2. Now? As an obstacle. Before, while I doubt he would describe Jayce's intellect as "equal" to his own, he still saw value in converting Jayce to his cause. To some extent, I imagine someone whose emotions have been removed/suppressed would have trouble seeing other humans as anything but tools. But Viktor's mind is a mysterious place.

3. I can't predict the future, but Jayce's actions have certainly drawn Zaunite eyes to Piltover. I imagine that Viktor's self-imposed isolation from the rest of Zaun society ensures that Jayce's assault isn't seen as a declaration of outright war, and it's even possible that crazed Zaunite scientists will be less likely to raid Piltover now that Jayce has proven they can fight back. But still...tension has heightened between the two nations of science.

Lord Graves III

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2012

Jayce struck me as asthetically similar to the Demacia Characters. In fact, during the original skill leak, I thought he was demacian.
It strikes me that he almost seems to have this whole kindred spirit thing with them what with the whole protecting the innocent superhero shtick. Would this be the case? Or are national barriers just too thick.

Also, is Jayce as full of himself as he sounds? I mean, hes no Draven, but all that adoration must go to his head.

Also, I second questions about Caitlyn, and I also ask if Ezreal found the crystal, or if Jayce and Ezreal had ever worked together on something Ez had found.

12345 ... 6