Offline mode suggestion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sarkhon

09-09-2012

Then just don't allow for IP gain in the offline mode.

Edward McLazy

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkhon View Post
Then just don't allow for IP gain in the offline mode.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

SaintofSin518

10-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
This will be hard... very hard...

When we designed the LoL platform, we want to prevent cheating and hacking, so we put most of the lol's logic on server, include but not limited to:
1) Stats Processing
2) Bot Management, Queue Control, Map Information
3) Matchmaking
4) Skins, Rune, Champion entitlement

The whole platform was designed to put as much as on the server side. now you are asking for the completely opposite of what we designed. It will take months of work for a offline mode that's "complete"....
Perhaps have the ability to download an Offline LoL client version, that would DL all of the necessary components to play 5v5 Bot games with no queue management allowing only LAN party management. For Runes, perhaps an unlocking system, allow the use of tier 1 runes in full quantity then allow rune page creation using the tier 1 and as you play you get an offline tracker(perhaps of wins, or multiples of millions of dmg done, or something along those lines,) that down the line would unlock tier 2 runes of the same kind used(say an AD tier 1 page would unlock the tier 2 AD Runes), and later, tier 3. As for Champs have an unlocking system may prove to be unpopular to the masses making certain champs unavailable until much later in offline play, maybe allow all champs to be unlocked but make offline champs available only to about 2 previous Champs releases (as in, since we are in the Kha'Zix release now, make only champs up to Rengar available, to avoid unfair amounts of practice with new champs to avoid allowance of advantages in newer champs releases, in online games.) Please try your best Riot, I've been hoping for this since I started playing LoL.

TwoDollar50ty

Recruiter

10-21-2012

Need this to happen!!!!

Skaboy

11-04-2012

First and foremost I apologize for beating a dead horse, and for raising the dead. But there may be an alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
This will be hard... very hard...

When we designed the LoL platform, we want to prevent cheating and hacking, so we put most of the lol's logic on server, include but not limited to:
1) Stats Processing
2) Bot Management, Queue Control, Map Information
3) Matchmaking
4) Skins, Rune, Champion entitlement

The whole platform was designed to put as much as on the server side. now you are asking for the completely opposite of what we designed. It will take months of work for a offline mode that's "complete"....
1.) With my proposed solution stats would be merged at logout, or LAN Light client(see below) is no longer in touch with the LOL Client
2.) Not needed for LAN play, in this scenario, with the exception of Map Information, which could be offloaded to the Local Server, in a controlled environment.
3.) Not needed, users can select Blue or Purple. They've been doing it since the golden years of quake (was actually blue or red)
4.) Certificate/SSL see below for description.

I wrote the below quote before doing too much research, but this does seem like a project, not too difficult, but would required some effort. After doing some research, I then have to wonder, that if everything is running server side, and nothing is client side, why are the skins taking up so many of my gigabytes!? There has to be some aspects of the game that are client side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaboy
LAN Party Light

I know Riot has stated that they are not producing a LAN client, for fear of more source being in our hands, people creating their own servers, and unlocking everything without paying a penny. I get this, and understand this. But have they looked at it from a different view; possibly one that will benefit them as well as LAN going enthusiast such as myself? Give me 5 minutes of your time and let me draw you all a picture. I am by no means a programmer, dev, or technical writer. I simply have a dreamÖ

Iím at a LAN party of about 50-75 people, weíve got a 10 Mb internet connection. If youíve ever been to a LAN party, you know everyoneís got their other games theyíre playing, and other clients which are required to connect to the internet to patch (Steam). What that means is that there is no bandwidth to connect to a riot server to play. I mean itís possible, with over 1000 ms connection time, but thatís truly unplayable. I mean, I watched a kid in a 3v3 trying to play with his 2 buddyís that were at the LAN, and it was comically sad. I would have loved to play, heck, I used to organize tournaments at our local 100 person LAN. This got me thinking, and has riot taken this approach? I mean, we donít need that fancy LAN client we see at all the broadcasts. Just something that will match us together.

A light LAN client on a dedicated server is what I imagine. First letís start with the game itself. Simply add LAN to one of the game choices before logging in (a check box perhaps), and have it broadcast TCP/IP on the LAN looking for a server. Simple enough, then there may need to be a slight modification to how champions, skins, runes and masteries are set on the user client. I would suggest for this mode, that they can be read off of some sort of SSL XML file with an expiration, or certificate of some sort. Give it a 24 hour expiration duration. (Letís face it, if a person is playing longer than 24 hours straight, they really DO need to log out) That certificate will hold all of the userís personal stats, skins, champion, masteries, etc. Iíd imaging it would be a few hundred kilobytes. Most people can get to the internet even when theyíre on a LAN with no internet connection. A simple mobile phone hotspot should generate enough bandwidth to allow logon, authentication, registration of the server and the transfer of certificates/XML files.

Next comes the Ďserverí part. This would be a very light client which does 2 things.
ē Creates a SSL connection to RIOT for authentication and transfer of above said certificates/XML files, and stats. It will also cache these files for the duration of the negotiated window for the LAN.
ē Offloads only the matchmaking and processing of the matches. (Many games have been doing peer to peer matching for years, as most of everything is already in the client)

Let me explain this a bit further. First one of the LAN party admins would need to register probably about a week in advance to secure a time frame to for the reservation of a LAN connection, provide any security information needed in order to create a secure connection, MAC, username password, etc. After approved there would be a light client that does the 2 above stated jobs, to be downloaded and installed on the server. Now, remember, thereís not code that is specific to any account. All it does is take clients 1-5, and talks to 6-10. In addition, this must be a dedicated standalone server. If it detects the LOL executable, it will not run properly. In other words, this would be a LOL server authentication proxy.

Next, weíll talk about accounts and authentication. If the server tries to connect to RIOT during a time that was not negotiated by RIOT and the LAN admin during the registration time, the server is simply rejected for being outside of the time window. However, if itís within the time frame, the server will connect to a RIOT LAN Light server, and establish sort of a VPN which will secure traffic thru it after it passes an integrity check. I would suggest registering in 24 hour blocks, maximum of 2-3, depending on the event. Now that the server is connected to RIOT, and the server software is installed now the clients can click on that LAN selection, broadcast, and the LAN light client will respond. From there, the user will authenticate via proxy of the LAN light server to RIOT and once authenticated, RIOT will push down the users certificate/XML file to the user once they logged on. Next the user will be automatically be put into the custom game scenario.

Iím sure Iíve left many holes in the plan, but overall itís a solid plan that does not give them the availability to modify their account, nor does it create a full server as it cannot be run without a connection to RIOT. This would eliminate 15-20 people trying to compete for internet bandwidth at a LAN, give LAN admins a chance to administer this wonderful game as a tournament even during low bandwidth events. All the LAN light client would need to do is to connect RIOT for loginís and stat transfer via SSL connection.

Finally it comes to RIOTís compensation. RIOT can sell 24 hour blocks for $X.00 per LAN party, or give it away for free. If I were going to a LAN party where I knew LOL players were going to be, I would gladly bring my own server and register it so we can play without worrying about bandwidth issues.

The Acid Drip

11-21-2012

Bump

Lilmachine

11-21-2012

Yep that one good idea if you want to leave some specific game in bots. Also add some Hard and Expert mode for bots