Jayce Lore: Updated

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

It's a definite improvement, though I feel like we've seen this storyline before in a couple recent movies.

So check this out. There's this guy who's a brilliant engineer and inventor and he discovers this awesome power source and he builds a super-awesome invention with it. But this other guy is jealous and he takes the power source for his own nefarious purposes, leading the first guy to attack and take out the second guy in a battle of super-awesome inventions.

Is Jayce's new joke going to be "Actually, I am Iron Man"?

Tripwire78

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Harrow, the Creative Designer who worked on Jayce and wrote his lore. As RiotRunaan mentioned a few days ago, we wanted to improve Jayce's bio to better communicate how we see both Jayce and Viktor and the conflict between them. It'll take a bit of time to update the client, but we wanted to share our new Jayce lore with you on the forums:

I'd like to talk about some of the changes we made and the reasoning behind them.

One issue you raised was that the Lore made Viktor seem weaker than Jayce. It was never my intention to show Viktor as weak, but I can see how the focus on Jayce and the lack of description of their conflict allowed for that interpretation. In the new version, I call out that that Viktor effortlessly brushes aside Jayce in their first confrontation, and that Jayce's counter-attack is a real struggle.

Viktor's initial goal has also changed. Rather than seeking to steal technology of Jayce's design, Viktor's interest is now drawn by a rare, powerful resource. Considering himself the only scientist capable of properly exploiting such a resource, Viktor first asks Jayce to join his cause. When Jayce refuses to work with him, he wastes no time in taking the crystal for his own ends. While I believe that Viktor's pursuit of his glorious evolution is slowly eroding his care for "morality," I agree that it was a misstep to have Viktor fall from his old ideals without telling the story of how that could happen. Viktor still ruthlessly follows his goals in the new version, but without betraying the principles and pride he displayed in his own origin story. Now, he doesn't take from Jayce because he needs someone else's technology. Instead, he has such faith in his own designs that such a valuable resource is utterly wasted in another's hands.

This is only the beginning of Jayce's story, as seen from his perspective. While Jayce clearly considers Viktor to be a dangerous menace, the Machine Herald's true intentions remain a mystery. It also remains to be seen how Jayce handles the fallout from his show of strength.

I want to thank you all again for your feedback, and I hope this new story gives you all a better understanding of Jayce and his conflict with Viktor. You’ve helped us build a better story for our 100th champion.
My question is though, will this be changed in the champs lore page in a hotfix or next patch?

Vulking

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph289 View Post
Is Jayce's new joke going to be "Actually, I am Iron Man"?
It will never happen but it will be hilarious, or maybe "Yes in deed, I made that... in a cave... with scraps..."

Vulking

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwire78 View Post
My question is though, will this be changed in the champs lore page in a hotfix or next patch?
I don't think a text hotfix would damage anything but If I had to guess I would say next patch just to be safe.

Muranodo

07-10-2012

It's much improved. Thank you for listening on that.

I still feel a bit iffy on the fact that Viktor is liberating a resource; I can see where his morality/judgment would be clouded in terms of his obsession now with the evolution. It's just harder to get that across in a tiny lore snippet (this would have made a great JoJ article/interview in the end --- truly a shame there).

Still, it makes me a bit more amiable towards Jayce in terms of not solely disliking him for the sake of messing up Viktor's backstory.

Dirkaah

07-10-2012

Really like this change. The original lore was good but something about this makes me like it even more.

Alexair17

07-10-2012

I didn't mind the old version but this update is a lot better.

Stexe

Adjudicator

07-10-2012

Much, much better. Makes Viktor seem more like a Saturday morning cartoon villain and someone who actually has goals and motives.

I still think Viktor should have "robotic minions" but this is definitely a step in the right direction. =)

Sir Sheogorath

07-10-2012

It's perfect, it even explains the full metal Jayce skin (he has accepted Viktor's initial offer). Why not make this a three person conflict by including Xerath? He needs that power! Jokes aside, this lore makes sense now.

Vulking

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
Much, much better. Makes Viktor seem more like a Saturday morning cartoon villain and someone who actually has goals and motives.

I still think Viktor should have "robotic minions" but this is definitely a step in the right direction. =)
Don't you mean LESS than a Saturday morning cartoon villain and MORE like someone who actually has goals and motives?