Jayce Lore: Updated

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harrow

Writer

07-10-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm Harrow, the Creative Designer who worked on Jayce and wrote his lore. As RiotRunaan mentioned a few days ago, we wanted to improve Jayce's bio to better communicate how we see both Jayce and Viktor and the conflict between them. It'll take a bit of time to update the client, but we wanted to share our new Jayce lore with you on the forums:

Quote:
Armed with wit, charm, and his signature transforming hammer, Jayce lives to protect his native Piltover. Long before his nation called him a hero, however, he was a promising young inventor. When Piltover commissioned him to study a rare arcane crystal, Jayce discovered it could be used as a vast energy source. Eager to make a name for himself, he began developing a device to harness its power. Word of the crystal’s potential reached beyond the borders of Piltover. Viktor, the machine-augmented scientist from Zaun, brought Jayce an offer - together, they could use the crystal to advance his “glorious evolution,” a vision of humanity fused with technology. Jayce refused, but the Zaunite had no intention of leaving empty handed. He effortlessly blasted Jayce aside and seized the crystal, incinerating the lab's meager security force as he left for Zaun. Jayce implored the Piltover government to respond, but the officials refused to support an act of aggression. He decided to act alone, realizing that if no one struck back, Piltover would never be safe.

Jayce returned to the lab to prepare for his attack. After intense research, development, and hands-on testing, he emerged with his crowning achievement - the Mercury Hammer. Weapon in hand, Jayce marched to Zaun and began his one-man assault. Viktor's acolytes rushed to stop him, but Jayce smashed them aside, fighting his way into the heart of the lab. Inside, Jayce saw the horrifying brilliance of Viktor’s creations, all powered by the energy of the arcane crystal. He realized that his only option was to destroy the power source, but Viktor stood in his way. Though their clash left both scientists heavily wounded, Jayce managed a desperate strike at the crystal. He shattered it and escaped as Viktor’s machines erupted in flames. When he returned home, exhausted but victorious, the citizens of Piltover hailed Jayce as a hero. He reveled in the adoration, but knew that his actions had drawn the attention of dangerous enemies. Now devoted to the defense of his people, Jayce is Piltover's best hope for a bright future.

"Trust me: if we're smart, Piltover can stand strong against any threat. Hey, I'm living proof." - Jayce
I'd like to talk about some of the changes we made and the reasoning behind them.

One issue you raised was that the Lore made Viktor seem weaker than Jayce. It was never my intention to show Viktor as weak, but I can see how the focus on Jayce and the lack of description of their conflict allowed for that interpretation. In the new version, I call out that that Viktor effortlessly brushes aside Jayce in their first confrontation, and that Jayce's counter-attack is a real struggle.

Viktor's initial goal has also changed. Rather than seeking to steal technology of Jayce's design, Viktor's interest is now drawn by a rare, powerful resource. Considering himself the only scientist capable of properly exploiting such a resource, Viktor first asks Jayce to join his cause. When Jayce refuses to work with him, he wastes no time in taking the crystal for his own ends. While I believe that Viktor's pursuit of his glorious evolution is slowly eroding his care for "morality," I agree that it was a misstep to have Viktor fall from his old ideals without telling the story of how that could happen. Viktor still ruthlessly follows his goals in the new version, but without betraying the principles and pride he displayed in his own origin story. Now, he doesn't take from Jayce because he needs someone else's technology. Instead, he has such faith in his own designs that such a valuable resource is utterly wasted in another's hands.

This is only the beginning of Jayce's story, as seen from his perspective. While Jayce clearly considers Viktor to be a dangerous menace, the Machine Herald's true intentions remain a mystery. It also remains to be seen how Jayce handles the fallout from his show of strength.

I want to thank you all again for your feedback, and I hope this new story gives you all a better understanding of Jayce and his conflict with Viktor. You’ve helped us build a better story for our 100th champion.

Youso1337

07-10-2012

Definite improvement.

Felfire

07-10-2012

Could you show the old one so we can compare?
Some of us haven't really been paying attention to this topic

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm Harrow, the Creative Designer who worked on Jayce and wrote his lore. As RiotRunaan mentioned a few days ago, we wanted to improve Jayce's bio to better communicate how we see both Jayce and Viktor and the conflict between them. It'll take a bit of time to update the client, but we wanted to share our new Jayce lore with you on the forums:

Quote:
Armed with wit, charm, and his signature transforming hammer, Jayce lives to protect his native Piltover. Long before his nation called him a hero, however, he was a promising young inventor. When Piltover commissioned him to study a rare arcane crystal, Jayce discovered it could be used as a vast energy source. Eager to make a name for himself, he began developing a device to harness its power. Word of the crystal’s potential reached beyond the borders of Piltover. Viktor, the machine-augmented scientist from Zaun, brought Jayce an offer - together, they could use the crystal to advance his “glorious evolution,” a vision of humanity fused with technology. Jayce refused, but the Zaunite had no intention of leaving empty handed. He effortlessly blasted Jayce aside and seized the crystal, incinerating the lab's meager security force as he left for Zaun. Jayce implored the Piltover government to respond, but the officials refused to support an act of aggression. He decided to act alone, realizing that if no one struck back, Piltover would never be safe.

Jayce returned to the lab to prepare for his attack. After intense research, development, and hands-on testing, he emerged with his crowning achievement - the Mercury Hammer. Weapon in hand, Jayce marched to Zaun and began his one-man assault. Viktor's acolytes rushed to stop him, but Jayce smashed them aside, fighting his way into the heart of the lab. Inside, Jayce saw the horrifying brilliance of Viktor’s creations, all powered by the energy of the arcane crystal. He realized that his only option was to destroy the power source, but Viktor stood in his way. Though their clash left both scientists heavily wounded, Jayce managed a desperate strike at the crystal. He shattered it and escaped as Viktor’s machines erupted in flames. When he returned home, exhausted but victorious, the citizens of Piltover hailed Jayce as a hero. He reveled in the adoration, but knew that his actions had drawn the attention of dangerous enemies. Now devoted to the defense of his people, Jayce is Piltover's best hope for a bright future.

"Trust me: if we're smart, Piltover can stand strong against any threat. Hey, I'm living proof." - Jayce
I'd like to talk about some of the changes we made and the reasoning behind them.

One issue you raised was that the Lore made Viktor seem weaker than Jayce. It was never my intention to show Viktor as weak, but I can see how the focus on Jayce and the lack of description of their conflict allowed for that interpretation. In the new version, I call out that that Viktor effortlessly brushes aside Jayce in their first confrontation, and that Jayce's counter-attack is a real struggle.

Viktor's initial goal has also changed. Rather than seeking to steal technology of Jayce's design, Viktor's interest is now drawn by a rare, powerful resource. Considering himself the only scientist capable of properly exploiting such a resource, Viktor first asks Jayce to join his cause. When Jayce refuses to work with him, he wastes no time in taking the crystal for his own ends. While I believe that Viktor's pursuit of his glorious evolution is slowly eroding his care for "morality," I agree that it was a misstep to have Viktor fall from his old ideals without telling the story of how that could happen. Viktor still ruthlessly follows his goals in the new version, but without betraying the principles and pride he displayed in his own origin story. Now, he doesn't take from Jayce because he needs someone else's technology. Instead, he has such faith in his own designs that such a valuable resource is utterly wasted in another's hands.

This is only the beginning of Jayce's story, as seen from his perspective. While Jayce clearly considers Viktor to be a dangerous menace, the Machine Herald's true intentions remain a mystery. It also remains to be seen how Jayce handles the fallout from his show of strength.

I want to thank you all again for your feedback, and I hope this new story gives you all a better understanding of Jayce and his conflict with Viktor. You’ve helped us build a better story for our 100th champion.
A good improvement but I'm still a bit annoyed by the stealing part since Viktor is still stealing something, albeit now is a resource so at least he is not stealing any tech which is a welcome change since that was the most aggravating part of the old Jayce lore.

Also, Viktor fighting back is much more in character, even if he lose, losing is acceptable when you portrait that both champions where struggling in the battle.

dafedidi

07-10-2012

Good job, way better than the old one !

Pigmeo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Hi everyone,

Now this is real good lore, jayce remains a hero, but through struggle he becomes easier to love.

They remain enemies, but now it is better explained the reasons for both side to act like they did, and the change from stealing the technology to stealing the crystal is excellent, way to go.

Odrien

07-10-2012

I like this one far better thank you for listening

funtimejon

07-10-2012

Ah, excellent. Much appreciated, thank you

Baneson

07-10-2012

Much better! Thank you Riot!

Boardman

07-10-2012

Thank you for listening, much more appropriate lore

1234511 ... 16