Do I suck at Ahri or does Ahri just suck?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tavelian

07-09-2012

I recently bought Ahri because I had had a decent enough time with my previous three characters, and she looked like a lot of fun to play.

-I have watched the Champion Spotlight five times.

-I have looked at three seperate guides.

I discover that, even if I'm the highest level on my team, I just can't play Ahri well enough. I feel like I'm using the right moves (Charm, Orb of Deception, Fox-fire if close and then Spirit Rush for a finisher) but everyone else on both teams hit like massive trucks, while my "Mage-assassin" becomes more of a "Mage mosquito" as I hardly scratch at the enemy but get destroyed hard.

I've been taking the recommended items, which I recommend as useless and horrible.

To put it simply, what do?

Benshare

07-09-2012

It just takes time to get used to new champions (by new I mean just payed for). You'll probably begin doing well the more you play with her.

The Blue Jelly

07-09-2012

odds are you just suck at her lol.

And actually, yeah, that's kinda the thing. She's sustained burst, not true burst. If you can swing it, every R should have a W with it. The biggest thing is that she needs more than one spell cycle to really do good work, and she's designed to be able to get that extra cycle off quite well.

If you add me in-game I can link you to my work-in-progress guide to her that is still missing a lot of the more specific bits of info (hence why I don't link it here), but... you *can* have some copypasta I save for this type of occasion!

Hi! My name is The Blue Jelly- well, not really, but... Anyways... I've been discussing and playing Ahri since her release and I trust her completely. Hopefully, one day, you will, too.
She's fine. Not OP, and honestly very slightly UP, but any buff would likely send her over the edge since her kit has insane synergy. Lots of reading and a Youtube vid, but all relevent in some form. Have fun =D
A couple of these are a little out-dated, but meh.

Playing Against Ahri:
The Secret to Beating Ahri
Explanation of "Successful Gank"

Playing As Ahri:
Building a Fox: Items, Runes, and Masteries
Difficulty of Playing Ahri

Style Information:
Mobile Caster vs Static Caster

Generic Arguments:
Long Generic Stuff
Ahri QQ caused Unneeded Nerfs ._.
Charm Not OP (if you still think that lol)
The Recent Tweaks

Maths:
Ahri Actually Has More Burst Than Brand
True Damage On-Par with other True Damage (defense of it lower on the page)

Suggestions:
QoL Change to her ult (Start the CD on initial cast)
TSUNDERE SCHOOLGIRL AHRI <3

AHRI X SONA:
Pic SFW, Danbooru NSFW

Onimus Terlain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-09-2012

You suck with Ahri.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-09-2012

It's likely the first.

Ahri has one of the safest laning phases and really dangerous pressure. They can't stand directly behind the minions because you have Orb of Deception, but they can't stand separate from them because you have Charm, so either they have to be unpredictable or really careful behind the minions. They also can't get too close because Foxfire prioritizes champions, but they can't get too far because of minion XP range.

Tavelian

07-09-2012

@ Penance

Indeed, this is true in some cases. I mean, I bought Caitlyn and I'm still terrible at Caitlyn, as she both feels clunky and doesn't do the damage I want to do with her.

On the flip side, I bought Irelia, Cassiopeia, and Skarner, and they all feel like they play right and I kick ass with them.

Ahri feels natural too, but...she just doesn't have the damage output I want.

@BlueJelly

Thanks!

Iron A1dan

07-09-2012

Ahri is hella strong when you learn her. Also, it's hard to master her without smartcasting. (And you can't land skill shows consistently, you will fail.)

CerealBoxOfDoom

07-09-2012

Does ahri suck? Them iz fightn wurds round here mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavelian View Post
I
-I have watched the Champion Spotlight five times.
even if these were up to date, they wouldn't help you with ahri. They won't improve your skillshots or tell you what to aim for or how.

What many people don't realize is the meaning of the "mobile" in her champion type. Its not that she is highly mobile, its that she must remain mobile and take advantage of her ability to function while mobile. Positioning is a huge part of playing ahri as a result. They say stand behind your minions but even this is a situational thing for ahri.

Quote:
-I have looked at three seperate guides.
harder to learn champs have many not-so-good guides. Some give incorrect facts. Others are just outdated either ideawise of versionwise. By ideawise I mean a new patch will come out or a better build and ppl will upvote an obsolete idea just because they chose a certain side of the arguement forever ago.

Quote:
I discover that, even if I'm the highest level on my team, I just can't play Ahri well enough. I feel like I'm using the right moves (Charm, Orb of Deception, Fox-fire if close and then Spirit Rush for a finisher) but everyone else on both teams hit like massive trucks, while my "Mage-assassin" becomes more of a "Mage mosquito" as I hardly scratch at the enemy but get destroyed hard.
I had the same problem. The best way to solve it is to get formal definitions of "mage" and "assassin" from the wiki. I find it best to think of it this way. Ahri typically starts the game as a mage and ends it as either an assassin or a mage carry depending on the flow of the game. But most likely she'll be an "assassin".

Quote:
I've been taking the recommended items, which I recommend as useless and horrible.
if you mean the ones the game designers picked you will do poorly if you try to build them all. That works for very VERY few champs. For ahri you would at the very most build 2 or three including the boots which you won't always want, sometimes you'll need some MR and tenacity or some Cdr for some rampant harrass. Tons of AP is good but if you just build AP and don't get fed your investment will quickly become a lost item advantage.
If you work your way intellegently into an explosive level of lategame AP you will be able to do "tons-o-damage" again

Quote:
To put it simply, what do?
Play bots, experiment harder. Try everything. Even jungling though jungle ahri won't impress anyone, not even you, but she primarily will just want to be able to get the buffs without help as early as possible. Can't do that smartly without practice now can you?

CerealBoxOfDoom

07-09-2012

You do bad with
Caitlyn
Ahri

You do well with
Irelia
Cassiopeia
Skarner

Oddly enough out of these 5 champs there are 4 that have some assassinlike tendancies
Irelia
Cass
Ahri
Caitlyn

But only two are highly specialized in the assassin field as in they have a specific role they are geared towards and will disappoint if you try to play them like the other three
Caitlyn
Ahri

I believe you will be better with these two if you look deeper into the "assassin" attribute and the responsibilities of the assassin