Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Protip: Don't defend an indefensible target

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FusedPositron

07-08-2012

And then blame the person doing what they need to do for your loss. I see it over and over again on SR and Dominion. Someone (probably some alpha male in real life) decides they're the team captain and starts ordering people around. But they do it badly. They yell at the AD carry and support for not having enough items and wards. So people try to farm. And then the captain declares it's time to attack baron, or rush the Windmill in Dominion. Except... they don't have everyone with them. Even when people tell them not to go for that objective, they still do. And then usually erupt violently in chat about how (INSERT_LOWEST_KILL_PERSON_HERE) is ruining/throwing the game because they didn't listen to the pearls of advice from the self-appointed captain.

On SR, you see this all the time in ELO hell. Then the self-appointed captain really will throw the game and actually start feeding on purpose. Just because no one listened to him/her and defended the top outermost tower with 500 health and 5 enemies attacking it. Yes, you can lose towers sometimes so your AD carry can finish their Infinity Edge.

tl;dr Think strategically and don't play the submarine captain. You yelling at everyone else in chat doesn't make you right.

Ciabhan

07-08-2012

Quote:
FusedPositron:
And then blame the person doing what they need to do for your loss. I see it over and over again on SR and Dominion. Someone (probably some alpha male in real life) decides they're the team captain and starts ordering people around. But they do it badly. They yell at the AD carry and support for not having enough items and wards. So people try to farm. And then the captain declares it's time to attack baron, or rush the Windmill in Dominion. Except... they don't have everyone with them. Even when people tell them not to go for that objective, they still do. And then usually erupt violently in chat about how (INSERT_LOWEST_KILL_PERSON_HERE) is ruining/throwing the game because they didn't listen to the pearls of advice from the self-appointed captain.

On SR, you see this all the time in ELO hell. Then the self-appointed captain really will throw the game and actually start feeding on purpose. Just because no one listened to him/her and defended the top outermost tower with 500 health and 5 enemies attacking it. Yes, you can lose towers sometimes so your AD carry can finish their Infinity Edge.

tl;dr Think strategically and don't play the submarine captain. You yelling at everyone else in chat doesn't make you right.

Just pointing out it isn't likely the alpha type doing this. It's the beta male empowered by anonymity. They're typically the ones who rage when things don't go their way.

Alaros

07-08-2012

Quote:
Ciabhan:
Just pointing out it isn't likely the alpha type doing this. It's the beta male empowered by anonymity. They're typically the ones who rage when things don't go their way.

This.

ParaBellam

07-08-2012

I try to tell our Yi to get some Armor since were up against Sejuani and getting CONSTANTLY ganked by a very fed Trynd. I'm laning with him.

"What part of 6 phantom dancers don't you understand?"

Ends up going 1/8/0, with me getting the most kills at 2/2/3. It was a horrible game.

FusedPositron

07-08-2012

Quote:
Ciabhan:

Good point. Still annoying either way.

CausticSushi

07-08-2012

Or its someone trying to pull together a buncha wannabe heroes to actually work as a team- GASP

O_O

Yeah i said it, its a team game

Shiralune

07-08-2012

Quote:
CausticSushi:
Or its someone trying to pull together a buncha wannabe heroes to actually work as a team- GASP

O_O

Yelling at "insert lowest kdr person here" to stop sucking doesn't equal pulling heroes together to work as a team.

TheBossmanOfTheQ

07-08-2012

Quote:
FusedPositron:
Think strategically and don't play the submarine captain. You yelling at everyone else in chat doesn't make you right.

And make sure your strategy is a good one. I was playing a game the other day:
Our team:
  • Swain Top
  • Cass Mid
  • Leona (me) and tristana bot
  • Nunu Jungle
Their team:
  • Teemo top
  • Fizz mid
  • Alistar and Graves bot
  • Nautilus jungle

Their graves was incredibly good and managed to CS like mad and end up feeding that way.

Somehow swain and cass expected me as leona to initiate when i wasn't that tanky, and survive long enough to hit graves with my ult to stun him (not easy because its delayed). They didnt take the time to recognize that he was standing very far back and using his dash to get in range during team fights, or that i couldn't just 1v5 their team and stun him before i was killed, or even that the 1.5 second stun wouldnt even be long enough for them to get in range. During all of this our swain who was fed 8 kills on teemo early game never thought to just use his much easier placed stun during the teamfight

FusedPositron

07-08-2012

Quote:
CausticSushi:

O_O

Often though, that same person is yelling at people for not having enough items. Items cost money. So someone will notice that the enemy is killing a target that can't possibly be defended, and grab some cash. Only to have the self-appointed captain die while diving. In really serious cases 2-3 people will follow him and they'll ALL blame the loss on the person trying to meet a necessary strategic objective: items, wards, finishing off 1-2 enemy turrets, etc.

The point here is that some targets cannot be defended. Captains should understand that and fall back, not dive in.

IceCreamKitty

07-08-2012

I think I've only had one game where a player directed us to different objectives. Dat guy was an awsome tactician, sadly it's only happened once. Some players on our team were feeding early game, and no rage.