Roberta, the Mythical Engineer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheUnburned

07-08-2012

Concept History
Last updated: 07/11/12
Nerfed her screen tower since it was a bit overpowered. The silence is now always 1.5 seconds and doesn't scale. The cooldown was doubled to 20 seconds.
Slightly decreased the effect and length of the Swift Tower's debuff, while allowing teammates to maintain the speed boost momentarily outside of its radius.
Added Strategy and Counter-Strategy
Added passives and balanced base stats
Added AP-scaling to her structure-heal

07/10/12 Update:
Name change from Roberta, the Mythical Engineer to Ferra, the Mythical Artisan
Updated lore
Added Quotes and Recommended Build
Scaling ability and Ultimate radius (also gave her actives names)
Reduced scaling on her passive, effectively gives her triple damage against structures, scaling with AP

07/09/12 Update:
Improved lore
Active abilities
Base Stats

07/08/12 Original Version

Glossary
(Aura) Tower: special towers that Ferra can build, each with a unique aura that buffs her teammates.
Turret: official name of the big buildings that shoot your ass in the game. These are not "towers".
AP: abillity power
Yordle: the inhabitants of Bandle City. Little humanoid creatures under 1 meter tall, e.g., Teemo, Tristana, Ziggs, etc...

Ferra, the Mythical Artisan

Roles:
Support, Tank, Pusher, Ranged

Lore:

Quote:
Ferra is a scruffy-looking yordle well known for her mysterious ability to erect huge monuments seemingly overnight. Her fantastical designs and sheer passion for creating have made her a celebrity across Valoran.

During the Rune Wars, she used her gift to defend her beloved Bandle City. When the Noxian army came to claim control over the city, they were decimated by her ironclad defenses. With Tristana at the front lines and a minefield of mushrooms set outside the gates, Ferra had the battle planned out perfectly. She shouted high atop the battlements, "Amongst you cretins of the earth, our people stand tallest! Our walls shall not be breached!" The Megling Commandos then launched a hailstorm of bullets upon the Noxian army as their escape route was cut off by the BCEF led by Corki. The Noxians were brought into chaos as mushrooms exploded all around them. By the end of the battle, one of the largest divisions of the Noxian Army had been almost completely wiped out, and the Yordles of Bandle City cheered Ferra's name again and again.

Of course the Noxian commanders would never admit to such a humiliating defeat, and the remnants of the battle have all but dissapeared, which is why the tale has been relegated to somewhat of a myth. The stories go on to say that Tristana and Teemo shared a kiss before going into the battle, in fear that it would be their last chance.

Ferra wields a nail gun, and her body is plated with the finest steel in Valoran. Rumor has it, that the great Turrets that cover the Fields of Justice are of her own design, and now the League has decided to give her the opportunity to step out from behind the scenes and test her metal on the Fields.
Base Stats:
Quote:
Health: 465 (+97) (high)
Range: 500 (medium-ranged)
Attack Speed: 0.69 (high to sync with passive)
Attack Damage: 45 (+2.7) (low to balance AS)
Movement speed: 305 (slow)
Armor: 15 (+3.0) (high base, low scaling to balance passive on her towers)
Magic Resist: 30 (+0.5)
Difficulty: Medium
Ability Details

Innate - Hammer and Nail:
Quote:
All friendly structures within 500 radius of Ferra gain an additional 15 magic resist and armor, and her autoattacks do .8 per ap additional magic damage to enemy structures.
Q - Erect Ward Tower:
Quote:
After a 1.5 second channel, builds a Ward Tower at target location. Only 1 aura tower can be active at any time.
Range: 200
Cooldown: 10 seconds

(Aura):
Grants all nearby friendly champions an additional 15/25/30/35/40 + .25 per ap armor.
Range: 800

(Passive):
Grants Ferra half of the base armor from this ability's aura while the tower is not active.

(Active) Shocking Defeat:
Activating the ability while this tower is active damages all enemies in the active ability radius by 100/125/150/175/225 + .7 per ap magic damage. Deals double damage to minions.
Starting radius from tower of active ability: 500
W - Erect Screen Tower:
Quote:
After a 1.5 second channel, builds a Screen Tower at target location. Only 1 aura tower can be active at any time.

(Aura):
Grants all nearby friendly champions an additional 5/10/15/25/35 + .5 per ap magic resist . Only 1 aura tower can be active at any time.

(Passive):
Grants Ferra half of the base magic resistance from this ability's aura while the tower is not active.

(Active) Hold Your Tongue:
Activating the ability while this tower is active silences all enemies in the active ability radius for 1.5 seconds.
Cooldown: 20 seconds
E - Erect Swift Tower:
Quote:
After a 1.5 second channel, builds a Swift Tower at target location. Only 1 aura tower can be active at any time.

(Aura):
Grants all nearby friendly champions an additional 10/12/14/16/20 + .2% per ap movement speed and 20% bonus attack speed. The movement speed boost is maintained for 0.5 seconds after exiting the tower radius.

(Passive):
Grants Ferra half of the base movement speed from this ability's aura while the tower is not active.

(Active) Not So Fast:
Activating the ability while this tower is active slows all enemies in the active ability radius by 5/10/15/20/25% for 1.5 seconds.
R - Garrison:
Quote:
When cast on a nearby friendly structure, heals it by 100/200/300 + .5 per ap health.
Additionally if the structure is a turret, grants Ferra the ability to control the turret's targets for 3/4/5 seconds. During this time, the turret gains an additional 500 range, 15/20/30 armor and magic resistance, 10/20/35 armor penetration, and 20/30/40 + .8 per ap physical damage.
Must stay within 500 radius of the turret to control targets.
Leveling up her ultimate increases the active ability radius on her other abilities to 600/700/800.
Cooldown: 150/125/100 seconds
Notes:
Towers take 1.5 seconds to erect, and the spell can be interrupted in this time. Erecting a tower creates a global cooldown of 10 seconds on building another tower. Her active abilities are smartcast by default.
Pickup - If she targets the tower when using the active ability, she instead takes the tower down after a 0.5 second delay so that it can be repositioned. If Ferra is within 200 radius of the tower (little more than melee range), the cooldown on building that same tower is removed, and placing it again takes a reduced channel time of 1 second. A tower that is currently up can't be rebuilt in a new location until it's taken down, but it can be taken down from anywhere on the map. The benefit of the cooldown/channel reduction is only available when right near the tower to allow for repositioning in a teamfight. Towers will only stay up for a maximum of 5 minutes.
The Turret targets are controlled like a pet when using her ultimate. It would work similarly to Annie summoning Tibbers; she can move around freely as long as she's within the control radius of her pet.

Recommended Build
Quote:
Philosopher's Stone -> Shurelya's Revelrie
Boots of Swiftness
Kage's Lucky Pick -> Morello's Evil Tome
Aegis of the Legion
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Consumables:
Sight Wards/Vision Wards
Oracle's Elixer
Note: I haven't decided on her resource yet. If she uses mana, then I would keep this build. If she's manaless, I would replace the kages->morellos with Heart of Gold -> Randuins Omen

Concept

The purpose of this Champion is to create an interesting new defensive support for the game, by using a new game mechanic that I call, Aura Towers. This would be a mainly defensive support unit, with a similar mechanic to Sona; except that each aura is static, can't move, can't be stacked, and slightly stronger because of it's single effect and lack of mobility.

There would be a lot of strategy as to when to heal a building, when to control a Tower, which Aura to set up for a battle, etc. Imagine setting up a Ward Tower on Baron when you know the enemy is looking to take it, or delaying an initiation from Amumu with a Screen Tower, or surviving a 3v1 gank under your turret by forcing it to target the carry instead of the tank. The zoning capabilities are insane for this champ. She also makes a great pusher, as her autoattacks deal additional damage to enemy structures, her Q can easily take out a minion wave late game, and the Swift Tower's attack speed boost allows her to take down enemy structures extremely quickly if left unguarded.

As for her ultimate, late game, Turrets can be completely meaningless if the enemy is ahead. Turret shots are like mosquito bites to a tank with armor, and it makes it difficult to turn a game around even under the Turret. This would create another interesting game mechanic that would give your team a great advantage when on the defensive side of the battle, while not forcing you to take a defensive role.

Scaling is very important for this champion. The Ward Tower starts off stronger to dominate the lane early game through zoning, and the Screen Tower becomes much more powerful late game to devastate fights with its mass-silence. This is specifically designed for supports with the current meta in mind; however, it would also provide incentive for building some AP on Ferra. The radius of her active abilities scaling with her ultimate's level prevents her abiltiies from being overpowered as zoning tools in the laning phase, but strong as AOE abilities for teamfights in the late-game.
All towers would also grant vision over their radius.

Her name, Ferra (feh-ruh), is based on the Latin word for Iron, Ferrum.

Quotes

Upon Selection:
Quote:
"I've laid out the blueprints for their demise."
Joke:
Quote:
"You'd be short too if you had to carry all these tools around."
Taunt:
Quote:
"That turret of yours...overcompensation right?"
Quote:
"My my...what a big turret you have!"
Attacking:
Quote:
"I engraved this nail with your name while you weren't looking."
Quote:
"Here, catch!"
Moving:
Quote:
"Do I really have to lug these things all the way over there?"
Quote:
"Repositioning."
Concept Art
In progress.

Strategy
Quote:
Level up the Ward Tower as soon as possible, taking one level in each of her other abilities early on. This will allow for the most zoning and harass in lane. This is especially important in bottom lane for the armor boost. You can place it on key objectives to deny the enemy; such as Dragon or Baron Nashor. Be warned however, that this will leave you vulnerable if a fight should break out elsewhere.

Level up the Screen Tower second, giving you the largest presence in teamfights mid to late game. Use the screen tower when initiating a team fight or preventing the enemy from initiating on you. Time the silence carefully, and don't let one enemy bait you into wasting it due to the long cooldown. Switch to a Ward Tower in the middle of a teamfight to deal damage and mitigate some of the damage from the enemy's AD carry.

Level up the Swift Tower last, being sure to take one point early for its utility. Use this tower not only to escape and chase down enemies, but also to take down enemy structures. With some teammates to back you up, you can place a Swift Tower near the enemy's turret. The attack speed bonus will help you (with your passive) and your teammates take it down quickly. Place the Swift tower off to the side as much as possible, so that you can make use of the aura to escape in a hurry. If you are tanking the turret damage or backdooring, you may want to use the Ward Tower instead to take less damage.

Level up her ultimate whenever possible for TONS OF DAMAGE!!!
You should generally save your Ultimate for teamfights while on the defensive, but don't forget about its ability to heal your structures. This is an invaluable bonus.

Build some AP mid to late game for the added boost to your stats and pushing ability.

Her zoning capabilities, survivability, and structure-healing make her an excellent solo laner too. Plan which aura tower to build into first based on the opponent you're facing. Don't try to solo enemies unless you're at your turret; even with an active tower, you don't have ability to take on tough opponents alone.
Counter-Strategy
Quote:
Champions/Abilities

Knockbacks: E.g., Alistar, Tristana, etc. These can be used to knock enemies out of the radius of her tower. They can also be used to prevent Ferra from placing a tower where she wants it. Even better; you can knock Ferra out of range of her Turret during a tower dive to prevent her from controlling its targets.

Silences and Interrupts: E.g., Fiddlesticks, Blitzcrank, etc. Ferra is designed to have a small window of oppurtunity for opponents to shut her down before she can be a presence in a teamfight. If she's interrupted in the 1.5 second channel time for building a tower, she will have to wait for the cooldown before she can place another one. A silence can delay her setting up the tower long enough to separate her from her team mates, as well as stopping her from using her tower's active ability.

Shields: E.g., Janna, Morgana, etc. Can be used to cancel out the zoning effect of her Ward Tower in lane, by baiting her active with a shield and taking advantage of the cooldown.

Cleanse: E.g., Summoner Spell Cleanse, Quicksilver Sash, etc. This is only a consideration for the team's initiator, like Amumu. It will prevent Ferra from delaying an initiation while they are on the defensive.

Items

Armor: Mitigates some of the damage from the Turret that Ferra is controlling.

Early Armor Penetration: Gives you the strongest lane advantage against her, as she will usually level up Ward Tower first.

Void Staff: Will give you the biggest benefit late-game

Mercury's Treads: Decreases the length of her debuffs.

Strategy

Use your tank to bait Ferra into wasting one of her active abilities.
Never dive a Turret near Ferra when she has her ultimate up.
If you are diving Ferra while she's alone (and for your sake she better be alone.), use a Bruiser like Olaf who can survive the damage and take her out. Avoid letting your carry or any squishy teammates join in.
Be wary of the extra turret range her Ultimate grants.
Ideas for Development and Suggestions

I know it's a very complicated concept for a champion. A lot of details for her to work properly. If anyone can fill in any details I may have missed, or simplify any of the mechanisms I listed, I'd appreciate it
Should the enemy be able to destroy aura towers, and if so, how strong should they be?
Other possible names: Bertha; "Big" Bertha, The Mythical Artisan
Should this champion be manaless? If not, what should the mana cost of her abilities be?
Working on concept art. If anybody wants to contribute some that would be great!

Interested to hear what you all think, thanks
...although the majority of people on this forum were probably all like
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAShortAttentionSpan
TL;DNR
Edit: Phew. This is a lot of work with all the tweaking. Morello should hire me after this :P

puritee

07-08-2012

The idea is very interesting but as a support she is lacking a CC or a slow and she also has no heals or silence. I would change her R to erect tower of Death Ray that deals damage to foes who approach it while slowing them(or stunning) and also heals friendly units for a certain amount over a period of time.

All in all I really like this concept but i think you should give her some form of CC or a heal.

TheUnburned

07-09-2012

The Death Ray idea would be cool if for some reason the concept I created was impossible to implement. As for CC and heal, I think the problem is that we have a little too much of that already in LoL, hence why I think this support could be unique. I added active abilities to all the towers after considering it though. Thanks

RockAngel88

07-09-2012

I like her, but I have some criticism. she would be good early game, but her mid game and end game would be awful. when it comes to teem fights her towers just arent enough and if you arent by a turret, her ult dosent help much either. i think aura
towers would be cool, but you cant rely on them THIS much. this is like if heimerdinger didnt have any ability that didnt involve turrets.

TheUnburned

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAngel88 View Post
I like her, but I have some criticism. she would be good early game, but her mid game and end game would be awful. when it comes to teem fights her towers just arent enough and if you arent by a turret, her ult dosent help much either. i think aura
towers would be cool, but you cant rely on them THIS much. this is like if heimerdinger didnt have any ability that didnt involve turrets.
Do you think it would help to improve the scaling? The idea is that the towers have a fairly large radius that can cover an entire team fight; therefore the AOE damage is much larger than immediately obvious for her Q. She's also designed to be more of a support tank than anything else.

Edit: Improved the scaling a bit.

puritee

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnburned View Post
The Death Ray idea would be cool if for some reason the concept I created was impossible to implement. As for CC and heal, I think the problem is that we have a little too much of that already in LoL, hence why I think this support could be unique. I added active abilities to all the towers after considering it though. Thanks
She looks really good now with the changes you made but I would decrease the scaling on her passive and Q a bit.

Is there a range limit on her ultimate? Must she be close to a turret to activate her ultimate? Because if there is then it makes her ultimate kind of useless other than healing a friendly turret. Enemy champions will just run out of the range of the turret through out the duration. And also what happens to Roberta while she controls the turret? Does she just stand there doing nothing or does she jump inside the turret? Because if she just stands there while controlling a turret that leaves her very vulnerable to attacks.

All her skills look good but I think you should change her ultimate.

All in all, your champion seems to be coming along really well!

Here I made some pics for your champ though I don't know if this is how you envisioned her .

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1&d=1341851144

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1&d=1341851175

BSMaster

07-09-2012

May I suggest you make your ultimate something along the lines of making a Normal Field Turret start shooting a laser like the spawn pool instead of the normal orbs for x amount of seconds?

TheUnburned

07-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by puritee View Post
Here I made some pics for your champ though I don't know if this is how you envisioned her .

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1&d=1341851144

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1&d=1341851175
Hah that's pretty awesome actually. Although she looks more like someone out of Piltover than a Yordle. I do dig the pose :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMaster
May I suggest you make your ultimate something along the lines of making a Normal Field Turret start shooting a laser like the spawn pool instead of the normal orbs for x amount of seconds?
I do want to keep the original idea of my ultimate, but that could be a good way of showing that she's controlling the turret and increasing the damage.

Oh and I added more lore for fun :P As well as a method of moving the towers.

The Blawnzed Elf

07-09-2012

I love your abilities and concept and i think she would be good at soloing a lane because of her defensive abilities and tower healing.
I would give this champion a 9.7 out of 10
I suggest you give her ult turret bonus range so that it can help better
You also should give the support towers plenty of range because you have to compensate for cool down and movement speed.
300(movement speed) x5(cooldown) = 1500
so the radius for the buffs for friendly units at each level could be 1000 then 1250 then 1500 then 1750 then 2000 and the debuffs for enemies could be half, a third or fourth of the normal radius.
If you build this champion ap only she would be pretty fragile, I would suggest having each of her main abilities apply constant passive stat boosts to her and have the support tower as an active support ability.
These are only suggestions and I mean them in a positive way
I would be very happy if you gave some advice or comment on either of my two Yordles
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post26692703

TheUnburned

07-10-2012

Those radii are a little too big if you understand that 500 is an average ranged attack range, but you make a good point on scaling the radius, I'll add that to it. Thanks